Moving to DR

lillstrumpan

Dec 4, 2004
Hello!

I?m thinking of moving to DR next season(oct,nov).
Can anyone tell me where to find a cheap appartment near puerto plata,sosua or cabarete.
What shuld i accpect to pay, i?m willing to live very moderate and find a job as quick as possible.

ddlaromana

Dec 6, 2004
moving to DR

lillstrumpan said:
Hello!

Can anyone tell me where to find a cheap appartment near puerto plata,sosua or cabarete.
What shuld i accpect to pay, i?m willing to live very moderate and find a job as quick as possible.

You didn't say whether you are Dominican or not. If you are not a citizen they won't let you work unless or until you get some type of residency. Don't do this naively; the DR government frowns on people who don't obey their law. I work with an immigration programin the US and I can tell you the rules are just the same=no residency, no work. It isn't easy no matter where you do it. The DR is a wonderful country but you could see that it can be SIN MISERICORDIA.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
lillstrumpan said:
Hello!

I pay $260 a month.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Lots of people work here without residency and have been doing it for years. Thats not to say that there might be a crackdown by the new government.

mariem

Dec 8, 2004
dont worry

Hello lillstrumpan,

I belive that you will find a way to get there, and even get a job.
I can go with you if you want. I have been in touch with consulate and
ambassad to.
see you soon ;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Where to locate-

Please be alert to the fact that things are heating up in the Puerta Plata area. You could perhaps find work in the tourist area in Las Terrenas if you have another language - i.e. Spanish AND French, German or Italian. English is not quite so needed here.

Read recent police reports on the armed hold-ups in PoP. Trouble in paradise.

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Jimmydr said:
I pay $260 a month.

I am also interested in moving over to DR soon.

Just wondered if you could expand on where your apartment is, what does the price include and who you rent this off?

Its interesting to see the various options open.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Don't need ANY paperwork here!!!

"Somewhere" there may be a "foreigner" with "working papers",or a "visa",but I have never met one! But then I have only been working here for 8 years!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :nervous:

lilly

Aug 1, 2002
mountainannie said:
You could perhaps find work in the tourist area in Las Terrenas if you have another language - i.e. Spanish AND French, German or Italian. English is not quite so needed here.

I live in LT and can tell you that a few people are already walking down the Calle Principal looking for a job. Some of them speak ALL the languages you mentioned.