Driving in DR

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
How safe is it driving in DR?, and what is the speed limit? When I was there, it wasn't something I through about. I found the local transportation (bus) was excellent.

Karen

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
karenssp said:
How safe is it driving in DR?, and what is the speed limit? When I was there, it wasn't something I through about. I found the local transportation (bus) was excellent.

Karen

You need to watch for anything coming out of anywhere.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Bueno....

I suppose that speed limits do exist but mostly it's up to the driver, the car and the road conditions that seem to dictate the limit..
If you are driving at night , do be careful. Potholes are a fact of life. As Jimmydr posts, watch out for and be prepared for anything. People, animals and of course potholes.
Apart from that, I enjoy driving here. It's a great way to see and enjoy the DR. Have fun!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
When driving in the DR, keep in mind the old adage: 'It's a jungle out there'. Once driving on the highway near Villa Altagracia, under a clear blue sky, a rock shattered my windshield, and on another occasion, returning from San Juan de la Maguana, on a moonless night, a truck turned on its brights a couple of hundred yards in front on me on a hill, and when he passed by, there it was, a black cow, basking in the middle of the black pavement, less than fifteen yards away. I almost overturned on slamming on the brakes, and I swear I saw the cow jump over the car at the sound of the screeching tires.
A good idea is to pick up one or two soldiers or policemen hitchhikers on the way out of town, they're always there, more so if you're trying to bootleg something from one end of the island to the other.

Mirador

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Speed Limit??...Huh??
:surprised :surprised
Just be EXTRA carefull.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Mirador said:
A good idea is to pick up one or two soldiers or policemen hitchhikers on the way out of town, they're always there, more so if you're trying to bootleg something from one end of the island to the other.

Mirador

Yeah right, that's how I got robbed the first and only time in Dominican Republic!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
mido, you probably got one of the fake ones. I know, sometimes it's hard to tell, but military discipline is very noticeable. So next time, if in doubt, drive off.

Mirador

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
It's really, really fun..........

karenssp said:

Karen
..........it's, like, better than the best video game ever. And much more realistic ;)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Mirador said:
mido, you probably got one of the fake ones. I know, sometimes it's hard to tell, but military discipline is very noticeable. So next time, if in doubt, drive off.

Mirador

Mirador,
that actually happened between Santiago and Puerto Plata.
I was stopped (still new hear many years ago) by the police at the first checkpoint leaving Santiago and was asked if I can give a ride to a uniformed officer to Puerto Plata, just before arriving in Puerto Plata he pulled a gun and robbed me.
As I said before, it happened many years ago but I still don't consider this a save way of travel. It might be, if you really know the military or police officers as friends who you give the ride.
Never give anybody a ride if you don't know them, uniform or not!!!

susanne

Dec 5, 2004
Don't drive

Don't drive unless you are very experienced with driving in developing countries.

According to the Pan American Health Organization (regional office of the WHO) 3.000 people die every year in the Dominican Republic due to traffic accidents. In a country with just 8 million people that is severe and traffic accidents is one of the leading causes of death. There are rules of the road and the government launched a plan (I thinkt it was a couple of years ago) to enforce them and reduce the amount of accidents, but there is still a long way to go, especially as more people get motor vehicles.

Traffic accidents WORLDWIDE (I don't know any specific statistic on this one in the DR) is the leading cause of deaths among tourist. Not diseases, not violence. Traffic. Oh, and drowning is pretty common too, as a lot of tourists don't heed local advice on currents and so forth.

Having said that I know of quite a few tourists who rented a car in the DR (rent from a reputable company and make certain that all insurances are paid for) and had a great time. Personally, I would rather go by the long distance buses.

Read more about road safety etc on the ASIRT-webpage/Association for Safe International Road Travel: www.asirt.org.

Best regards,
Susanne :cry:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
susanne said:
According to the Pan American Health Organization (regional office of the WHO) 3.000 people die every year in the Dominican Republic due to traffic accidents. In a country with just 8 million people that is severe and traffic accidents is one of the leading causes of death.
That is something that has always enraged me. We don't have to develop a cure for cancer to cut on deaths dramatically yet there seems to be so little effort to do it. Maybe if more politicians and bureaucrats died on the road...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
3.000 people die every year in the Dominican Republic due to traffic accidents

and according to local statistics, over 70% of those fatalities are motorcycle drivers and their passengers. If I was a bureaucrat with authority, I'd outlaw motorcycles.

Mirador

karenssp said:

Karen

I agree with the previous poster, it is better than any video game out there at present but I would suggest getting the video game grand theft auto and become an expert at that game then you will be prepared to enter the roads of DR as a novice. Only one way to become an expert on the DR roads is to survive a few cross country trips during day and night.
Have Fun ;)
Badpiece

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Driving here...

Karenssp - I wouldn't suggest to any tourist that they drive while here! The rules are not firm - everyone does whatever they want! The roads are a mess. Driving at night is literally taking your life in your hands. If you don't know the roads you are driving on or the current conditions it is even more dangerous. Find a car that comes with a driver and spend slightly more money but maybe go home alive!!!! It is not worth the risk.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Love It

Never thought of it as a video game, but that is a very good way of putting it. After every trip it takes me a couple of weeks back in Canada to get use to all the rules again. And to tell the truth I wish we could drive like that up here.
Anyways you must be very carefull and watch out for everthing and everybody.
The north coast is not as bad as the big cities, they can be pretty freaky.
Have a good trip.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
lost of fun

last August we logged over 1500 km in 3 weeks driving around the DR. wasn't bad. driving at night wasn't great: potholes and drivers who turned their highbeams back on before they got pass you.

just pretend you're one of those wobble heads and keep shoulder checking...but on both sides of the car!! the scooters can kind of swarm you.

i drove a little in Santiago but mostly drove the north coast.

BTW was with wife, two kids, a cheap rental car that said "rental" and we plainly looked like a car full of very white gringos. even turned down a few one-way streets.

NEVER got stopped, bothered, police checked...nothing at all.

Gregg