Metal US Dollars

jenman

Dec 6, 2004
Are the US metal dollars good currency for the Dominican people to use? I like to use them for tips but was wondering if they have trouble cashing them in? Thanks

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Change

US Coins have no value in the RD @ a bank or Cambio.
The only way to get rid of them is through American tourists,
Don't be so cheap and get $1 Dollar Bills para propinas.

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
I seen what he said have you seen the new US dollar coin it's about the same as the GB pound coin weighs about the same if you think the other change is heavy fiil your shorts with these and try walking around in the sun. LOL If your pockets hold up or even your shorts.Going to look funny wearing suspenders just so you can give em out a tips.

jenman

Dec 6, 2004
Didn't think I would get such stupid and rude responses to this question. I use them at the resorts to tip at the pool and beach. In case you didn't notice , dollar bills can get wet. It is very easy to carry 5 or 6 of these in a swim suit. I guess Lechero doesn't tip, I am not that way, I like to tip.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Paper Only

The U.S. 1$ coin is a novelty item on the island. The people would not be able to cash them in.

The Banks and the Casa's de Cambio will refuse all foreign coins for exchange, they want paper. The institutions have machines that count paper bills, not the coins. They do not want to accomodate the metal.

Regards,
PJT

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jenman said:
Didn't think I would get such stupid and rude responses to this question. I use them at the resorts to tip at the pool and beach. In case you didn't notice , dollar bills can get wet. It is very easy to carry 5 or 6 of these in a swim suit. I guess Lechero doesn't tip, I am not that way, I like to tip.

They aren't as stupid as giving money as tips that the recipient cannot spend or convert to pesos. Why not offer old hubcaps? They are shiny too and equally useless, unless the waiter has the same car and then he's got a hubcap, so in fact there is a better chance the hubcap is of more value.

Manhole covers, bottlecaps, frisbees, and garbage can lids are other round possibilites.

You can't exchange coins from other countries in most countries, even US$ coins are unwelcome here in Canada.

The answer was correct and this is another example of "I am asking a question, I know what I want to hear, and not necessarily the correct answer".

jenman

Dec 6, 2004
I just joined this forum Thanks to PJT for a good and informative response. I do not think that I will continue with this forum due to people like Lechero and ricktoronto.I guess stupid people must try to insult other people for asking questions. It is a shame that these kind of people must be ignorant to feel good, I guess.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Even if you didn't like the way they phrased it, I'm afraid the answer is still the same. The metal "dollars" are useless to the people you give them to.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Wampum Beads

Maybe you can use Wampum to tip the staff, I am sure The Taino descendants will be able to use the extra beads.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
JDJones said:
That doesn't address the wet bills at the pool though..

She could laminate them first.

Face it she's bringing a pail of these useless coins to fob off on the poor and downtrodden and nobody's convincing her differently.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How about tipping them when you're dressed for dinner? I don't think you need to tip for every drink or service of the day. Do it at the end of each day if that's easier.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Wet Paper Currency

Speedo makes swimming trunks that have an internal pocket that zip locks twice and velcros over and keeps paper from getting wet; that would solve the coin dollar vs. paper dollar tip issue.

Keepin' it dry,
Carlos

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
Didn't mean to be rude was trying to make lite of the situation can't imagime someone getting offeneded so easily so i will apologize.
I find them to be a novelty at home yep they would stay dry but they couldn't use them so an answer to your question just take good old paper cash.You can get a small plastic zip wallet from some places to hold fishing lic for about a dollar works good to keep cash dry some come with clips so you can attach to your swim suit.

Try thinking about a guy with a pocket full of them getting out of the pool dragging his shorts down would look kinnda funny. ;)
Have fun when your there.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
ricktoronto said:
The answer was correct and this is another example of "I am asking a question, I know what I want to hear, and not necessarily the correct answer".
Couldn't agree more. Wet dollars still spend the same as dry dollars.