Crime hits too close to home?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Last night my folks came over for dinner and we got to talking about apartments in the area for long term rent and a friend that dropped by told us about a house just next-door to where I live that would be for rent in January. He had the keys to the place and after dinner we all walked over to check it out and as it was dark I brought my dog along.

When we opened the door and walked in we realized that we had walked into a crime in progress. Thieves had cut the bars on the window and removed the glass. They had to make a quick retreat when they heard us unlocking the front gate so at that point they only had a radio?their tools still in the house and the loot piled up ready to be taken away.

Back to the dog, he was very anxious to get into the house and know we knew why to we let him check the rest of the house just in case anyone was still in the place. My friend suggested that we get out of there and call the police but asked if he could keep the dog inside the house to watch the place so the thieves won?t come back and I agreed.

Late last night, after contacting the owner of the house my friend found out that there is a gun in the house and that the thieves my have gotten their hands on it so he went back over and let my dog out, not wanting to take a change that they come and kill the dog. Glad he did that but this morning we found out that they did return and took the rest of the stuff they could fit out the whole in the bars.

I thought, what a coincidence that this happened just when the owner was out of town but I just found out that 3 or 4 other places got hit last night as well. Really I hate these kinds of posts because I don?t want travelers to get the wrong idea about the DR and I?m the first one to reply that the DR is a very safe place but I have to say that I?m so glad that I have a big dog with big teeth and he?s not very friendly.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with the check points the PN has set up on the road into Puerto Plata yesterday and today.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think that the worst thing we can do is keep these things secret. Where exactly was this? - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The check points could well be to do with this. There was also a rather nasty hold up of a foreign resident couple outside of Imbert last Saturday when cars as well as cash & personal possessions were taken, plus a break in to another foreign resident's home in Torre Alta, Puerto Plata on Monday.

Sep 20, 2003
What happened to the foreign residents who were robbed? Just money taken or were they also physically attacked as well?

Is violent crime against tourist also on the rise?

I can't believe there are only two police cars patrolling such a popular tourist area.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
My post is from Costambar and it's a few homes that got hit in the last night or two. Funny that the watchman for our building tell me that he's never seen more police about Costambar then last night so how could so many homes get robbed?

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
A few days ago a couple young kids tried to pick Twilight's pocket. I told them off and they ran away.

Today the woman sitting next to us at a restraunt had her purse snatched earlier in the day.

Another person I know had been the victim of an attempted robbery, and a bag snatching both in one day a little while ago.

Theres a few others I've heard about too, but I don't wish to repeat stuff from other boards here.

My understanding is that these crimes are common in December for people trying to get money for Christmas? That is very sad if its true.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Where about in Costambar were the robberies? I have 2 condos in Costambar, however I am in the USA as this time. I'd like to know if they're close to me.
Thanks

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Ahhh it must be christmas time again. Robbing has started - torre alta and costambar are hit. This has been the pattern for the past 8 years.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
House Sitter

Any advice on getting a Dominican to stay in your place while youre away, and without "squatting?" Any legal maneuvers to avoid a squatter situation? This is my number one concern to keep me from buying property in DR. Theft is second.
TEHAMA

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You can have a house sitter and still have your house broken into. I shouldknow mine did. And so have other people I know in Costambar. At the same time people broke into a house I was house sitting in the states while I was gone for a few hours.

Best thing to do is get insurance and if the property is your vacation home do not stock it with very valuble things that you will worry about. Just leave the essentials of things you will need or use while you are there.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Dominican Employee Scuttlebutt............

.............APC now has the "police" patroling Costambar AGAIN. Hence, more breakins etc. When they were NOT PATROLLING Costambar all was quiet. (They weren't patrolling Costambar for over 1 year). Leave it to your imagination.

Gappy

Jul 24, 2004
joel pacheco said:
What happened to the foreign residents who were robbed? Just money taken or were they also physically attacked as well?

Is violent crime against tourist also on the rise?

I can't believe there are only two police cars patrolling such a popular tourist area.

Just a quick note to say that happily the foreign residents were not physically attacked, this does not lighten the severity of the situation however as being threatened at gunpoint will scar emotionally, both are doing as well as can be expected and are trying to put the matter behind them, as the original trhread title said... "Too close to home".

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
We are about to get our residency and plan to go to POP in next feb., and may by buy something in El Cupey, but now I wonder if that place is really a good choice.
I would like to know which areas in the North coast, you people with years living there, think is safest, that is with less crime.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Aguayo said:
We are about to get our residency and plan to go to POP in next feb., and may by buy something in El Cupey, but now I wonder if that place is really a good choice.
I would like to know which areas in the North coast, you people with years living there, think is safest, that is with less crime.

I don't think you should be concerned. As I understand it these crimes are to get money for Christmas. Yes, some celebrate the birth of their lord and saviour by stealing! Twisted.

I have talked to a couple of Dominicans who have said it is worse this year than in previous ones. But these crimes were not occuring a month ago, at anything like the rate they are now. I'm sure once January hits, they will drop back down.

The moral is, be careful during December. I still feel safer here now than in several places I've lived in the US.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Last night I had a bout of insomnia, so I turned on my Radio Shack scanner and listened in on the police frequency for about two hours. During that time I heard the report of two held up cars and the immediate all points bulletin. Both cars got away, one breaking through police lines under a hail of bullets. The radio conversations between central command and subordinate police officers show that local police are ill equipped, and that officers are at their best timid. Many officers disregarded orders with unjustified delays, or because of safety concerns, to avoid perilous situations, such as dark alleys or streets, and even entire neighborhoods. On the other hand, the lawless are brazen, better armed, willing to shoot themselves out of any situation. Listening in reminded me of an uneven football game, where one team?s mediocre defense allows time and time again the 89 yard punt return.

Mirador