Malaria ???

aggiemom

Sep 27, 2003
My husband and I will be making our 21st visit to the DR in Jan. We are going to the LTI Beach Resort in PC. We are hearing of cases of malaria, a very bad strain. I am going to the doctors tomorrow for some meds. Is there any news down there about an outbreak ? What should I do or not do other than Deet?

Thanks for any help you can offer. :nervous:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
aggiemom said:
My husband and I will be making our 21st visit to the DR in Jan. We are going to the LTI Beach Resort in PC. We are hearing of cases of malaria, a very bad strain. I am going to the doctors tomorrow for some meds. Is there any news down there about an outbreak ? What should I do or not do other than Deet?

Thanks for any help you can offer. :nervous:
Here in the DR, not much! In fact, most people are not even putting much attention to it even in Punta Cana!

The reason is because it has only a been a relatively few people (though more than before) that have contracted the disease, compared to the number of people in that area at that exact time.

But, you should always avoid mosquito bites, not just because of Malaria potential (this will most likely be temporary until the many still water ponds dry up), but because mosquito bites are a real pain with all that itching, etc.

Don't worry too much, but bring mosquito repellent if you want. Chances are you will probably be fine. Look at it this way, the vast majority of tourist in Punta Cana came and left the sameway they came (well, with a tan of course) while those few who got Malaria got unlucky.

Don't panic, don't worry too much, just come down and take your usual precautions against mosquitos. The media (especially in Canada) is blowing this thing way out of proportion. If the media's hype was correct, half the country would be infected by now! Not really, but you know what I mean!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
unfortunately it was all over the news in canada yesterday and apparently health canada has a travel advisory to DR now. exaggerated to be sure, bad not good for tourism industry as those thinking about going to DR will now likely go elsewhere.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Buck69 said:
Some suggest a viccination against yellow fever.

Really? Who would suggest that in a non-yellow fever endemic area?

Malaria prophylaxis is safe and cheap and frankly if I went to the affected areas I'd take it. yellow fever vaccinations are certainly not required - areas that it is required will be quite clear you cannot arrive without the vaccination and the official international record that you have been.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Also...

Mosquito?s can carry Dengue Fever, comes in various levels of severity.
I had never heard about it, untill my Son, was diagnosed with Level 1.

CDC.GOV Home

Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) are caused by one of four closely related, but antigenically distinct, virus serotypes (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4), of the genus Flavivirus. Infection with one of these serotypes does not provide cross-protective immunity, so persons living in a dengue-endemic area can have four dengue infections during their lifetimes. Dengue is primarily a disease of the tropics, and the viruses that cause it are maintained in a cycle that involves humans and Aedes aegypti, a domestic, day-biting mosquito that prefers to feed on humans. Infection with dengue viruses produces a spectrum of clinical illness ranging from a nonspecific viral syndrome to severe and fatal hemorrhagic disease. Important risk factors for DHF include the strain and serotype of the infecting virus, as well as the age, immune status, and genetic predisposition of the patient.

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
HOW IS DENGUE FEVER TRANSMITTED?

People get dengue virus infections from the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected when they bite infected humans, and later transmit infection to other people they bite. The two main species of mosquito, Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, have been responsible for all cases of dengue transmitted in this country.

WHAT KIND OF VIRUS CAUSES DENGUE FEVER?
Dengue fever can be caused by any one of four types of dengue virus: DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4. A person can be infected by at least two, if not all four types at different times during a life span, but only once by the same type.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DENGUE FEVER?
Symptoms of typical uncomplicated dengue usually start with fever within 5 to 6 days after a person has been bitten by an infected mosquito.

High fever, up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit
Severe headache
Retro-orbital (behind the eye) pain
Severe joint and muscle pain
Nausea and vomiting
Rash
The rash may appear over most of the body 3 to 4 days after the fever begins. A second rash may appear later in the disease.

Interestingly, most children infected with dengue virus never develop typical symptoms.

HOW IS DENGUE FEVER DIAGNOSED?
A doctor or other health care worker can diagnose dengue fever by doing a blood test. The test can show whether the blood sample contains dengue virus or antibodies to the virus. In epidemics, dengue is often clinically diagnosed by typical signs and symptoms.

HOW IS DENGUE FEVER TREATED?
There is no specific treatment for dengue fever, and most people recover completely within 2 weeks. To help with recovery, health care experts recommend

Getting plenty of bed rest.
Drinking lots of fluids.
Taking medicine to reduce fever.
CDC advises people with dengue fever not to take aspirin. Acetaminophen or other over-the-counter pain-reducing medicines are safe for most people.

Thanks
Tim H. :smoke:

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Buck69 said:
Some suggest a viccination against yellow fever.
What?

That is odd! The DR practically doesn't have Yellow Fever. In fact, the entire Caribbean is virtually Yellow Fever free!

I guess one of two things is happening:

1. People are just jumping on the bandwagon and are inventing stuff

or

2. Other countries (preferably Caribbean countries that have lost tourist dollars due to DR's popularity) are feeding false information in order for them to regain some of their lost business back.

Yellow Fever and Malaria are totally different things with Yellow Fever practically not known in the Caribbean and Malaria being very rare, even in the DR. In the Caribbean, only Haiti has endemic Malaria and the DR gets a few small localized areas that sprout in malaria outbreak after huge storms like Hurricanes pass by.

Where are these people getting this information of Yellow Fever? You have a better chance at getting West Nile Virus in the US and Canada than getting Yellow Fever in the DR. In fact, Yellow Fever is unknown here!

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
meds to take b4 coming 4 malaria?

Greetings all,
My husband and I will be coming to POP 1/29 along with some canadian friends. I was speaking to one of them last nite and she informed me that the malaria story was all over their news and she and her daughter were going to the doc for innoculations. There hasn't been anything about malaria on the US news that I am aware of. I am not overly concerned for myself at this point. However, my husband has a lung disease and takes a drug that weakens his immune system. I am concerned about this and was wondering if there are any meds that I should consider getting him to take before coming down? Currently his pulmonary doc is on holiday but I will contact her when she returns. Any suggestions are appreciated.
:smoke: judi

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There are about 20,000 people living in the Bavaro Punta Cana area and about 100,000 people working in this area and none has contracted malaria?
Something is exaggerated here.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
hooptie2 said:
Greetings all,
My husband and I will be coming to POP 1/29 along with some canadian friends.

Take the medicine if you go to the affected provinces, which are not where POP is so probably not. That said, subject to the doctor's OK, it isn't terribly expensive or difficult to take, once a week for a wek before and 4 weeks after.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Don't worry, be happy

The Canadian on life support after visiting Punta Cana is much improved. Rumours of malaria are greatly exaggerated, as were rumours of the damage after the earthquake a year ago. And we know that the DR would never cover up any serious problem that might affect the tourist industry. And no mosquitoes are allowed to cross the border from Haiti.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
You!

Gabriela
And we know that the DR would never cover up any serious problem that might affect the tourist industry.
Read that, and had to clean the coffee, from my screen & keyboard!!!

And no mosquitoes are allowed to cross the border from Haiti.
Fell off my friggin chair! I don't know whats worse, my backside, from falling, or my ribs from laffing. That was good- had tears, coming down my face. :laugh: :laugh: :knockedou

You sound like the EX-Propaganda Minister, from Hippo's crew.

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

wc3

Oct 14, 2004
Timex said:
Gabriela

Read that, and had to clean the coffee, from my screen & keyboard!!!

Fell off my friggin chair! I don't know whats worse, my backside, from falling, or my ribs from laffing. That was good- had tears, coming down my face. :laugh: :laugh: :knockedou

You sound like the EX-Propaganda Minister, from Hippo's crew.

Thanks
Tim H.

The "culture of change" appears entirely too elusive in the DR - one for which the impetus comes from necessity and often times from intellectual forethough, foresight and intelligent analysis. On the other hand (or behaps, "hand-in-hand"), Changing the DR culture would not be easy - and that is not an entirely "bad thing". Some things should remain "timeless in their innocence". "Ignorance", however, is not one of them.

Ignorance in certain repsects serves to benefit one party or the other. What is essential, though, is balance. You be the "judge".

What sometimes is of concern to me, though, is that many who are pearched on the "fence" resist change for the better. Others, like the rooster, claim credit for the sunrise.

To the issue, if "smokes and mirrors", "vodoo economics", or any other miracle economic fix (or in this case by fiat) will solve the DR's money (nb: "money" - used on purpose) problems, then kudos for those in power. Sanity, however, lets me know that there will be much sufferring, much more, beofre it's all over. And what about the prices not being reduced? Let's all kill the golden goose. Hotel cost for me for example, in Feb, 2004 - RD$600. per day...I returned in JUune cost became RD$1,200. day....nothing else changes (as to services, amenities at hotel, etc.)....But my point here is, this drastic change was done in summer when US$1.=RD$40. (+)......

Nothing makes sense....no logical, or "valid" economic models entertain this situation. Not much to do with IMF, WTO, FTA, (there is no shortage of acronyms here...). It all has to do with short-sighted, common folks filled with greed. And in the long run? Not to worry; by that time these grredy folks will all have thiers. But what they probably are not counting on in the "long, short term", or "short, long term"....what that means is that they, too, will feel the "bad" consequences. What of the "avarage" poor folks? What of those who earnestly "struggle" for example in the "gran manzana", to "trickle" help back to home?...These days, it will be trickle indeed.
wc
more to come.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Aside from the potential harm of the disease, this will cost the DR and Punta Cana area a fortune. It's all over the news in Canada, a lot of people who were going to the DR for a winter vacation are now turning to Cuba. It is too late for most who had booked Christmas vacation to make other plans but a lot of folks are changing vacation plans. I do not support this mediatization of this non-sense but it is a fact that Punta Cana will greatly pay for this.

I am still going for Christmas to Sosua and Punta Cana for march break.