Dominican Hiphop an rap

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
a'ight....when i go to sosua peoples my age seem to love rap an hiphop too like g-unit, 50 cent, an loadsa uthas . (an of course TUPAC SHAKUR)...dont get betta than the hiphop king!!!lol....so i was wonderin, is there any dominican rappers an is daddy yankee dominican cos he is seriously tightttt!!! so is there any dominican rappaz? ;)
i heared bout a guy called reynos, i cheked out his freestyle an he's talented, but i havent heared any more :cry:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm now signing out. Need a coffee break. Brain not funtioning. I can't make heads nor tails of the above post. Something about rap. :nervous:

Just pulling your leg BG.

No honest I don't get it. :nervous:

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Lol

Hey BG, I have seen read some of your posts and now is when I am seeing you type like this LOL what gives?

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
britishgirl said:
a'ight....when i go to sosua peoples my age seem to love rap an hiphop too like g-unit, 50 cent, an loadsa uthas . (an of course TUPAC SHAKUR)...dont get betta than the hiphop king!!!lol....so i was wonderin, is there any dominican rappers an is daddy yankee dominican cos he is seriously tightttt!!! so is there any dominican rappaz? ;) heared bout a guy called reynos, i cheked out his freestyle an he's talented, but i havent heared any more :cry:
Hey Britishgirl, there's a Dominican rapper who lives in NYC... his name is Richard Rodriguez AKA D-Rich. He was a ghost writer for other rap artists--he's really good! You might have seen him freestylin' on 106 & Park (BET)...he was the Freestyle Fridays Rap Battle 5 time champion. He was supposed to have an album coming out--dunno when? Reynos is off da hook... *You know "Fabolous," he's Dominican too...:cool: Oh, and Daddy Yankee is Puerto Rican...

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
britishgirl said:
a'ight....when i go to sosua peoples my age seem to love rap an hiphop too like g-unit, 50 cent, an loadsa uthas . (an of course TUPAC SHAKUR)...dont get betta than the hiphop king!!!lol....so i was wonderin, is there any dominican rappers an is daddy yankee dominican cos he is seriously tightttt!!! so is there any dominican rappaz? ;)
i heared bout a guy called reynos, i cheked out his freestyle an he's talented, but i havent heared any more :cry:

Hey guys did you notice she's british? wanna be AMERICAN............. LOL!

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
wanna be haitianbeisbol!??...just kidding!

Rap is not going to fly high in the DR because most Dominicans don't know what the hell rappers are saying in their rap and the tempo is not high enough to get them on their feet like a boxer. Electronic music has a huge following in the DR 'cause the electric beats, not rap gibberish or regeton, gets into the blood stream, add Brugal or the like and you're there. Electronic music hits a cord in Dominicans 'cause it penetrates just like some high tempo merengue, something rap cannot do, due to lack of BPM's.

Nov 5, 2004
Reggaton!!!!!!!!

britishgirl said:
Man..its all about the reggaton! lol
Honetly..I have just got a job at a fairly upscale office as a receptionist. Tonight was the office xmas party!!!!!!! THEy played Aventura "obession"!!!!!!!WHOO! I was VERy impressedd! But that was the only song by Aventura the DJ knew...but he played it during the supper, and after during the dancing per my request!
British girl..out of curoisity..no offense intedended (but as u may know..things on DR1 have the tendeny to be intrepreted the wrong way..:p )
How old are u? Where in DR do u usually travel??

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
Hey guys did you notice she's british? wanna be AMERICAN............. LOL!

huh???no. i jus like to widen ma horizons by listenin to rap by different artists wiv different nationalites...i also like listenin to rap in spanish too as it helps improve ma spanish. if u think i'm obsessed wiv americans, man, chek out ma rap collection...i got everthin in there-dizzee raskal(BRITISH), lethal bizzie(BRTISH) mike glc(BRITISH)......an wot bout mark morrison(BRITISH 2)....see, all those i jus mentioned r top london rappers, an they actually say over here that british rap is betta than american as we aint jus all bout parties, we talk bout deep issues like where we grow up, drama that we've seen. I think as a british rappers, we take a lot of our inspiration from Tupac(yeh..he was american)....but @ tha end of the day wen ur listenin to hiphop ur all 2getha as a hiphop nation....not matterin whether ur american, british, african or dominican! i jus wanted to chek out sum dominican rap.i am not guilty of wantin to bcome american an neither are our british rappers ....dizee raskal's quote is "BIG UK...WE STAY REPPIN THAT, I'M FROM THE L.D.N-THERES NO FORGETTIN THAT!"......WANNABE AMERICAN-no wayyyyy?? ;)

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Man..its all about the reggaton! lol
Honetly..I have just got a job at a fairly upscale office as a receptionist. Tonight was the office xmas party!!!!!!! THEy played Aventura "obession"!!!!!!!WHOO! I was VERy impressedd! But that was the only song by Aventura the DJ knew...but he played it during the supper, and after during the dancing per my request!
British girl..out of curoisity..no offense intedended (but as u may know..things on DR1 have the tendeny to be intrepreted the wrong way..:p )
How old are u? Where in DR do u usually travel??
i have noticed that things on dr1 tend to b interpreted tha wrong way :cry:

i'm 14, female, an i go to sosua...i hopefully b goin back this month, i cum bk last month an i'm missin it like i always do!!!i agree wiv u tho-aventura obsecion is tite!!!(sorry british slang there-jus to prove i dont wanna b american)...an yeh peaches ancream-reggae is great, i love it but not many people listen to it over here....i'm really pleased for tha UK tho, every1's gettin into rap loads more, we got open-mic rap nights an everythin!

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
quejeyoke said:
Rap is not going to fly high in the DR because most Dominicans don't know what the hell rappers are saying in their rap and the tempo is not high enough to get them on their feet like a boxer. Electronic music has a huge following in the DR 'cause the electric beats, not rap gibberish or regeton, gets into the blood stream, add Brugal or the like and you're there. Electronic music hits a cord in Dominicans 'cause it penetrates just like some high tempo merengue, something rap cannot do, due to lack of BPM's.
lol-u remember haitanbeisbol too??? wheres that guy gon?...he knew his rap!!! ;)

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Angel_04 said:
Hey Britishgirl, there's a Dominican rapper who lives in NYC... his name is Richard Rodriguez AKA D-Rich. He was a ghost writer for other rap artists--he's really good! You might have seen him freestylin' on 106 & Park (BET)...he was the Freestyle Fridays Rap Battle 5 time champion. He was supposed to have an album coming out--dunno when? Reynos is off da hook... *You know "Fabolous," he's Dominican too...:cool: Oh, and Daddy Yankee is Puerto Rican...

oh yeah i think i remember my friend in sosua tellin me he was puerto rican. still love him tho!

an FABOLOUS is dominican???!!!!!!wow...that guy is fabolous!!!!!!!lol, is he american of dominican origin cos a lot of our british rappers are of dominican origin or jamaican or sumthin. well i never knew he was dominican, that boy is great. i like BREATHE. its on all the time here. an D-RICH, havent heared of him, maybe i'll be able to get sum of his records in hiphop section @ back of hmv. i'll try to get hold of sum. he shud b tite .by tha way do u spit lyrics???

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
britishgirl said:
oh yeah i think i remember my friend in sosua tellin me he was puerto rican. still love him tho!an FABOLOUS is dominican???!!!!!!wow...that guy is fabolous!!!!!!!lol, is he american of dominican origin cos a lot of our british rappers are of dominican origin or jamaican or sumthin. well i never knew he was dominican, that boy is great. i like BREATHE. its on all the time here. an D-RICH, havent heared of him, maybe i'll be able to get sum of his records in hiphop section @ back of hmv. i'll try to get hold of sum. he shud b tite .by tha way do u spit lyrics???
Hahaha... that was so cute-->do I spit lyrics???? (LOL) Hells no...(maybe for jokes once in awhile--but nothing serious at all--and you'd laugh ur a$$ off if you heard me!) lol.. Hiphop is just one of the genres of music that I know a lil' sum sum about... ;) Oh, and reggaeton--love it...can't get enough of it!! :)

Nov 5, 2004
Angel_04 said:
Wow...HOW in the WORLD did I miss the most important part of this post?!? I just re-read it and got it...
Fabolous is Dominican?????
I love his music...but I did not know that...any idea where in DR he is from?

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Wow...HOW in the WORLD did I miss the most important part of this post?!? I just re-read it and got it...
Fabolous is Dominican????? I love his music...but I did not know that...any idea where in DR he is from?
Ok.. so he was raised in Brooklyn, New York... but I was so sure that his "roots" were from the DR... *gonna find out and get back to ya... :)
*Edit--all I found out is that "Fabolous is a mixed African-American and Dominican rapper from Brooklyn"-- but we already knew that... :cross-eye

Last edited:

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Angel_04 said:
Ok.. so he was raised in Brooklyn, New York... but I was so sure that his "roots" were from the DR... *gonna find out and get back to ya... :)
*Edit--all I found out is that "Fabolous is a mixed African-American and Dominican rapper from Brooklyn"-- but we already knew that... :cross-eye

right...kl...get bk 2 me on that. an i write rap an do a lot of battles, but people think i cant rap cos i'm a "girl"....but a lotta people say i'm talented an i have beat boys at battlin so i'll prove evry1 wen i get ma first hiphop award an MOBE!!! ;)

BrothaNature

Mar 29, 2004
britishgirl said:
see, all those i jus mentioned r top london rappers, an they actually say over here that british rap is betta than american as we aint jus all bout parties, we talk bout deep issues like where we grow up, drama that we've seen. I think as a british rappers, we take a lot of our inspiration from Tupac(yeh..he was american)....but @ tha end of the day wen ur listenin to hiphop ur all 2getha as a hiphop nation....not matterin whether ur american, british, african or dominican! i jus wanted to chek out sum dominican rap.i am not guilty of wantin to bcome american an neither are our british rappers ....dizee raskal's quote is "BIG UK...WE STAY REPPIN THAT, I'M FROM THE L.D.N-THERES NO FORGETTIN THAT!"......WANNABE AMERICAN-no wayyyyy?? ;)

Not all American Hip Hop artists are all about "parties", bling-bling, casual sex, ect either. You can't base what's projected through mass media as a basis or model for Rap music in the United States, because many of these artists are not of the majority. You say British artists talk about deep issues? Well, does that not ring true for Common, Talib Kweli, De La Soul, Mos Def, Akrobatik (Listen: Time ) Cross Movement, Kanye West (Jesus Walks), to name a few? And I believe KRS ONE is on his 10th or 11th album. Now, speaking of British artists, Rodney P's The Future is a classic.. ;)

Anyway, there is one Dominican emcee I'm aware of in the US by the name of L-Fudge. I'm suprised you're not familiar w/ him as he has worked w/ several people from the UK: http://www.demigodz.com/bio_fudge.html

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
BrothaNature said:
Not all American Hip Hop artists are all about "parties", bling-bling, casual sex, ect either. You can't base what's projected through mass media as a basis or model for Rap music in the United States, because many of these artists are not of the majority. You say British artists talk about deep issues? Well, does that not ring true for Common, Talib Kweli, De La Soul, Mos Def, Akrobatik (Listen: Time ) Cross Movement, Kanye West (Jesus Walks), to name a few? And I believe KRS ONE is on his 10th or 11th album. Now, speaking of British artists, Rodney P's The Future is a classic.. ;)

Anyway, there is one Dominican emcee I'm aware of in the US by the name of L-Fudge. I'm suprised you're not familiar w/ him as he has worked w/ several people from the UK: http://www.demigodz.com/bio_fudge.html

nah havent heared l-fudge but i'll see if i can find any of his music anywhere ;) an yeah, i dotn mean every rapper from the USA is like that. I mean Tupac was american we will NEVER see a better rapper than him cos he was more than jus a rapper. also kanye west an mos def are too of ma favourites an i'm not critiscisin party rap an hiphop, i love it, an yeh i like the bling bling too, if i'm honest 90% of ma rap cd's are more PARTY than DEEP issues. but on the contrary, i enjoy both ;)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Say what?

britishgirl said:
huh???no. i jus like to widen ma horizons by listenin to rap by different artists wiv different nationalites...i also like listenin to rap in spanish too as it helps improve ma spanish.

BG, you have me scratching my head and I would like to "widen[sic]" my horizons. If rap in Spanish bastardizes the Sp. language as rap does Eng., how can one expect to "improve ma[sic] spanish[sic]"?

Having fun and
Regards,
PJT

BrothaNature

Mar 29, 2004
britishgirl if i'm honest 90% of ma rap cd's are more PARTY than DEEP issues. but on the contrary said:
Well, you can hold on to that Bling Bling music. W/ all that conflict going on in Sierra Leone over diamonds, I can do w/ out. But since you are attempting to expand your musical taste, I'd you should also get your hands on Hip Hop from Canada and Africa.