kitchen stuff

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have the land and need only to sell our US home before we start building in the DR. Does anyone know of where to purchase quality stoves, ovens and refirg. or should I bring that with me. I am thinking of viking, wolf, thermador etc.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Bob K said:
We have the land and need only to sell our US home before we start building in the DR. Does anyone know of where to purchase quality stoves, ovens and refirg. or should I bring that with me. I am thinking of viking, wolf, thermador etc.

Gasper Hernandez is where I bought my stove. They have a nice selection there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't be silly

If you are going to move here, for God's Sake, bring all that stuff with youby container.

You will pay at least twice to three times the Stateside price for anything in your kitchen, especially that quality stuff you are talking about.

Is is available here?? Yes, it is, in Santo Domingo. At a place called Innovations, but you need deep pockets for that kind of stuff here, and it ain't cheap in the States either.

take my word on this.

HB

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i paid about 300 US dollars last year for my stove and it is a piece of junk and if i had spent a little more it would still have been junk! my refrigerator is pretty good but it wasn't cheap. the TV i paid dearly for can be had in a U.S. wal-mart for a third the price. my wife is in SDQ now, i come down for the winter tomorrow, and she has been shopping for clothes washers and she is telling me like 700 US for junk.................however, my dining room table and chairs are beautiful, dominican made, and they were about a third of what i would pay in the U.S.........Innovacion does have nice stuff......it costs about 3000 US to send a container,from port of newark N.J.,,,,,,,u have to do the math to see if it works for you.........i didn't spend 3 large on appliances total so i guess i did o.k.,,,,,,,,,now if you want to put a car in that container as well you might make out to the plus side, that is if you are eligable to send a car without the heavy duties......... i got my mattresses, 2 king, 1queen, 1 twin in SDQ , dominican made, pretty good quality, new, not rebuilt, very reasonable and in line with US prices,...........why don't you buy just what you need to get by and then up-grade later.......EOM

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
bring your pots and pans and other kitchen stuff too. i didn't see any good quality cookware in the stores we visited.

i think you should book a 40' container and start sizing up what you have to bring. who wants to spend their first 6 months in the DR shopping?

we are planning to move and have gotten rid of tons of household items. however, we are also upgrading or replacing appliances in anticipation of moving. i hope :cross-eye we have fewer customs problems when items are clearly used.

TO DO
change electric stove to a propane one
change electric clothes dryer to a propane one (maybe...)
review pricing for propane fridges
replace aging vacuum cleaner with a bagless model
toss all kitchen appliances with a cord that haven't been used in a year
get some 12v lighting systems, solar lights, motion-lights etc...
buy spare knife blades, belts, bags, staples, bulbs, tape, office paper, printer cartridges etc...
buy one year supply of some favourite food items

at the same time, develop a sense of complete detachment from all your possessions. roll the dice and pray everything arrives at your doorstep in Sosua.

i will pack all of my garden tools and chicken feeders and things in the container at the end. this way, the first 3 feet customs goes through will be dull and dirty. i am also separating my remotes and cords from my electronic and computer equipment. this should make things more challenging.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Bob K said:
The first thing you have to find out is if you are entitle to tax exemption as a foreign resident moving to DR. If you do, well, I still hesitate to tell you to bring your stuff, but it is doable. If you have to pay the taxes and duties, and you don't have loads of money and patience I'd say forget it.

Kitchen Center on Gustavo Mejia Ricart carries Viking. I also reccomend Molina (Plaza Central and Plaza Naco). But they are expensive.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
The general public products...

are usually junk. The importers here will not import unless they can make enormous profits...so they either find the cheapest items and sell them at huge markeups or they buy quality and charge you a monster price...only for the wealthy. To buy quality items like you are talking about you have to go to a special store in the capital and as mentioned here you will pay dearly for this. Bring as much as you can when you come and try to determine what you will need several years out.