I would like to Permantly Live In Rio San Juan

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Hello I have been to Rio San Juan now 3 times a total of 4 weeks there. I have rented my own apartment there and was very happy. I would like to permently move so I can marry my bf and live happily there. I am willing to live with cold showers, and eating rice and chicken, and work and have a family there. I want to do this but have no idea how do go about it. I just returned from Dominican Rep on Monday, and very depressed being here in 2 feet of snow. :(

I am french, english and learning spanish now. I want to know if anyone can help me on how much money I should set myself up with to move down? And how much does it cost to marry in the Dominican.

I have been with my bf from Rio San Juan for 9 months now. And we talk everyday and meet up on the computer. And he knows its impossible for him to come to canada, so I would love to live there. I hate our cold winter weather, I live 4 hours North of Toronto and now we already have 2 feet of SNOW. I cannot stand this weather!

How do I do this being a Canadian Citizen? If anyone can help me on any info you have on leaving canada please share the info. Thank you.
I am 25 years old, and he is 23 years old and working (and not on a resort). This is what we both want. I need any info that is out there.
thank you

I AM ONLY ASKING FOR HELP ON MOVING OUT OF CANADA, AND /OR LIVING IN RIO SAN JUAN. ABOUT HOMES/ OR APARTMENTS OR JOBS AND WORK, AND MARRIAGE. THANKS.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Since you have rented an apartment already, I'm sure you have some idea of the costs. I wish you the best of luck. Unlike many others here, I believe that it's worth the risk to follow your heart, as long as your mind is attached as well. My only request is that you not get pregnant for at least 2 years. As long as you are only risking your own happiness - no problem!

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Anna Coniglio said:
I'm sure you know after visiting a few times that work is hard to get and the pay isn't much. What skills do you have?

Good luck

SKILLS- I am a 911 Ambulance Dispatcher. I work full time, got the pention and everything, i realize I would be giving this all up BUT with my age and experience, if I had to move back to Canada, I know that Ontario is IN great need of 911 Dispatchers and I could get hired anywhere in Ontario in the next 5 years etc.. I have been working with Ambulance and with in hospital for the last 5 years. I am hoping to get some clerk job, or restaurent job, but preferably within ambulance in the town of Rio san juan. I will look into it more when I go back next. ANd i will not quit my job and just pack and go until I save enough money to suport myself for a while and not till I know I will be able to have an apt and a job first.
I am not stupid, I know to keep my head on and this is just what I feel i need to do. My friends and family are supportive, saying if I want I will get it. I paid about 200 Canadian for 2 week at my apartment which was gorgeous! and safe. But do people get jobs that make over 500$ a month ?

Please if anyone has more info on dominican marriages or dominican jobs please feel free to write me. THANKS :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Honey if you find a job that pays 500 a month you let me know and I'll move there too. ;)

Doesn't sound like you have done any research while you were there.

Put the word "work" in the search engine and see what other have been told.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
there is one ambulance in rio san juan. you would be competeing with 20 or 30 other bottles for that job. The dispatching is all handled by the hospital itself and no foriegner would be qualified to do the job as many streets are not named and everything would be in spanish. Additionally there is no computer, radio in the ambulance, etc. For the most part the ambulance is only used to take people to the big city hospitals, from the local hospital directly.

I doubt any clerks/or restaurent workers in rio san juan make even 5000 RD/month.

dominicans rarely bother to get legally married, they just move in together. if this guy actually wants to sign papers it is only because he wants the visa.

A wood shanty in a mosquito filled barrio would rent for maybe 2000 RD/month. Rice & beans for one would cost about 2000/month.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
sjh said:
dominicans rarely bother to get legally married, they just move in together. if this guy actually wants to sign papers it is only because he wants the visa.

Well as i appreciate the help and info about the ambulance service. its good to know! but i will disagree with you fully about him wanting the visa. i have told him that its impossible for him to come to canada, and he loves his country and he is happy. he dont want to come here, he wants me to live there with him. i can tell from his family and his back ground that he is a true honest loyal guy. There are the great decent guys there, he dont speak enough english to survive in canada, there are alot that u dont know about me or him so you are entitled to your opinion. :)

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Maybe some help

what sjh said is true in that the majority of Dominicans do not get legally married. IMHO I think this is a man thing in that the Dominican unmarried male is then free to play the field and/or leave when he wants without much worries from the law or his concience and he always has a place to lay his head, dip his wick and has a woman to work and bring in the money for his beer and rum. As I married a Dominican woman I can tell you that I had to get a legal paper, which I did from our embassy, stating that I was not then presently married and was divorced and had to show proof of the divorce and with this legal paper I then had to get it notorized and stamped by a Dominican attorney and with these papers I went to the town hall, filled out the marriage application, paid my money and was married by what I think was the same as an American justice of the peace right there in the town hall. Also had to supply 2 witnesses and the drinks when it was over. Having lived in this country for 8 years I have learned a little bit and I will throw some advice your way as it doesn't cost anything and you may do with it as you wish. Think back, who brought up the conversation about marriage legally first you or he? If it was in fact him then I would be very cautious because this is not a normal Dominican decision unless there is an extra added advantage for him. As was previously stated under no circumstances have any children untill and least 2 years after getting married. The last thing I would say is move in with him and live together for a year and then if you still feel(in love) then get married. Good luck.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Rick Snyder said:
As was previously stated under no circumstances have any children untill and least 2 years after getting married. The last thing I would say is move in with him and live together for a year and then if you still feel(in love) then get married. Good luck.

I have a good head on my shoulders, and I have been doing all my searching about the DR as I can for me to better know the country and culture. I have been with this guy since April, and we both want this, and I am not going to jump into a marriage just like that, i will treat it just like i would here. I want to live with him for a year and see how it works, then get married then have children, no different then I would do here in my own country,. I dont beleive in jumping into anything too fast.
BUT I am happy in the dominican rep, and I feel I could live there and be happy. ANd he wants this too. He wants to work and I want to work, and he loves the dominican, he is extremely close to his family like i am. My whole family travels to the dominican rep 2 to 3 times a year. They have all met my bf, and love him. He is well aware I have no money, and if I move there we are both stuck working for a living. He knows I can't afford to bring him to canada, and that I have no money to support us, and he doens't care about that at all. Everytime I been down there, he never asked for a penny, or peso I should say, Ive never bougth him anything other then made him photo albulms of he and me and his family and he never asked. And its been 8 months.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Don't shoot the messanger

You having said all that then once again I will say good luck in your endevours and I wish you well. :nervous:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I am curious. If you dont mind answering. Have you ever been married? How old are you? When you say you say you are french do you mean you speak french? And do you mean Canadian french or Francais french ?
john

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
duhtree said:
I am curious. If you dont mind answering. Have you ever been married? How old are you? When you say you say you are french do you mean you speak french? And do you mean Canadian french or Francais french ?
john

I am 25yrs old. And I was almost married 3 years ago, but broke up 2 months before the wedding. And I am biligual. French as a child english growing up. And now learning spanish! Why do you ask?
Suzanne

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
COROLLA24 said:
Hello I have been to Rio San Juan now 3 times a total of 4 weeks there. I have rented my own apartment there and was very happy. I would like to permently move so I can marry my bf and live happily there. I am willing to live with cold showers, and eating rice and chicken, and work and have a family there. I want to do this but have no idea how do go about it. I just returned from Dominican Rep on Monday, and very depressed being here in 2 feet of snow. :(

I am french, english and learning spanish now. I want to know if anyone can help me on how much money I should set myself up with to move down? And how much does it cost to marry in the Dominican.

I have been with my bf from Rio San Juan for 9 months now. And we talk everyday and meet up on the computer. And he knows its impossible for him to come to canada, so I would love to live there. I hate our cold winter weather, I live 4 hours North of Toronto and now we already have 2 feet of SNOW. I cannot stand this weather!

How do I do this being a Canadian Citizen? If anyone can help me on any info you have on leaving canada please share the info. Thank you.
I am 25 years old, and he is 23 years old and working (and not on a resort). This is what we both want. I need any info that is out there.
thank you

I AM ONLY ASKING FOR HELP ON MOVING OUT OF CANADA, AND /OR LIVING IN RIO SAN JUAN. ABOUT HOMES/ OR APARTMENTS OR JOBS AND WORK, AND MARRIAGE. THANKS.

So, you are willing to eat rice and beans for the love to a man?
Awwww, that sounds so sweet. Just make sure that you also learn how to eat plantains, don't burn any bridges back home, don?t tell people that you are leaving Canada forever and make sure that you keep money on your side should you have to run back to Canada, and a bag made up just in case it doesn't work so you can go back home.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if doesn't work don't let that bring you down for you would still be young and have the whole world ahead of you. Just make sure that you don?t get pregnant until you are 100% sure that you are going to be alright.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
COROLLA24 said:
I am 25yrs old. And I was almost married 3 years ago, but broke up 2 months before the wedding. And I am biligual. French as a child english growing up. And now learning spanish! Why do you ask?
Suzanne

Simply to get things into context.
John

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just Do It!

Pack your bags, don't ship anything(it's a rip off), bring all your cash(you'll need every penny). You'll never know how it's going to work out for you by asking posters. I think most of them come down with money to retire or to semi-retire, not to start a real life in another culture. People live in all kinds of conditions all over the world, The DR is far from the worst, and has alot to give. I came a few months ago with my Dominican wife (I'm from NYC) and our kids, found a job right away teaching english (about 700/month US) and my wife starts her training with an american company in the free zone next month. We've never been better (yes, the kids love it too,enrolled in a great little spanish speaking school), NY can be brutal on your spirit, and the cold, last year was ridiculous. Good Luck, Follow your Heart, your head will follow.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Thank You Very Much

Naufrago said:
Pack your bags, don't ship anything(it's a rip off), bring all your cash(you'll need every penny). You'll never know how it's going to work out for you by asking posters. I think most of them come down with money to retire or to semi-retire, not to start a real life in another culture. People live in all kinds of conditions all over the world, The DR is far from the worst, and has alot to give. I came a few months ago with my Dominican wife (I'm from NYC) and our kids, found a job right away teaching english (about 700/month US) and my wife starts her training with an american company in the free zone next month. We've never been better (yes, the kids love it too,enrolled in a great little spanish speaking school), NY can be brutal on your spirit, and the cold, last year was ridiculous. Good Luck, Follow your Heart, your head will follow.

NAUGRAGO - Thank you for the quote!!! This is what I like to hear. I dont think its going to be easy or paradise all the time. BUT I am willing to make it work and see what the country has to offer me, WHO says I have to stay in Canada my whole life. (tonight we are having a HUGE snow storm, -10 and roads are dangerous) I think if this is what I want it will hopefully work out. And I am happy to hear about your family and wife and kids, glad they are all enjoying it. All the Dominicans I have met in Rio San Juan are very kind, generous people, and cheery, you dont see this where I am from.
Anyhow thanks. And my posting is mostly to get info from others who have moved so I can get an idea about apartments and homes and jobs. I am going down for 1 month in April or May to look around for a permanent residence and a job for me for when I do go down permantly!
Suzanne

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
note on my previous marriage comments

While many dominicans never bother to get legally married, it doesnt mean that they dont consider themselves permantly attached. Just like many fail to register the titles to properties, vehicals, etc...

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
sjh said:
While many dominicans never bother to get legally married, it doesnt mean that they dont consider themselves permantly attached. Just like many fail to register the titles to properties, vehicals, etc...

I understand this, this is no different then most Canadian men either! But I know my bf and he wants a family someday, and he said he knows he can't come to canada, so he wants me to be with him in the dominican rep if this is what I want. and All his sisters are happily married he wants this too.