Malaria statistics vs other countries

CalgaryTravelle

Dec 11, 2004
Recent malaria cases in the SE region of the Dominican Republic have been well publicized in the media.

For a little perspective, check out the following link which provides a relative comparison in bar chart form of infant deaths caused from malaria (per 100 000), country by country (taken from the Human Development Report: UNDP, Year 2000).

http://globalis.gvu.unu.edu/indicator.cfm?IndicatorID=73&country=DO#rowDO

The Dominican Republic does not register on the list.

At the Human Development Report website, the total list of malaria cases (per 100 000 people) are talled for 2000.

http://hdr.undp.org/statistics/data/indic/indic_72_2_2.html

Notice that Dominican Republic is 83 out of 96 countries listed with 6 malaria cases per 100 000 people. Mexico =8, Turkey=17, Costa Rica=42, Thailand=130, Peru=258, Indonesia = 920, Guinea=75,386.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
CalgaryTravelle said:
Guinea=75,386.

You should cross post this on www.guinea1.com as well. While I am thrilled the infant death rate from malaria is low in the DR, if YOU get it, that is more relevant since it is easily and cheaply preventable when there is an outbreak.

The 6 cases of just Canadian tourists probably make the rate 6/10,000 or 1 in 1,500, poor odds.

I don't understand why so many tourists try to use statistics to pretend something isn't a current problem , instead just do something about it - you're in Calgary , the medical consult is free.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i just dont get it

ok...so there are some malaria cases in the DR......does this warrent a travel advisory? I dont think so. I live in the NYC area...and while malaria isnt a problem...we DO have the West Nile virus, which is mosquito born...and also potentialy fatal...yet i dont hear of any travel advisories about NYC. Hell...i live in a city where we are just waiting for the day when suicide bombers start hitting the subways (a very real fear for many NYC'rs).....a little malaria aint gonna scare me!!!! :beard: