Let's get Controversial..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just a thought I had earlier today - if you could, what would you change about DR1? Now, now, let's not rush into character assassination of your favorite enemy on the forums, think just a tad more... What would you change?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'll turn it into the premier trading center in the Hemisphere, if not the world.

This island is centrally located, easy to reach via air or water, and it just makes sense.

At the very least, become the place where goods from North and South America reach and are sold to the rest of the wolrd.

It's good to dream at times :glasses: !

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Such a lovely country.

Such wonderful people.

Why do they not respect the land.

So much garbage strewn across a verdent, lush countryside.

It could be so much more wonderful.

Such a shame.

Gregg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
hey.. the question is smaller than that... just DR1, not the Dominican Republic... I know I said to think a little, but you're thinking too much ;)

Forgot to say, yes, it is good to dream!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chris said:
hey.. the question is smaller than that... just DR1, not the Dominican Republic... I know I said to think a little, but you're thinking too much ;)

Well, I missed the 1 after the DR!

In that case, I have no comment. I think DR1 is fine how it is. Only impose change if DR1 is losing popularity, but I doubt that!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:

Hehehe, I guess I better make the letters bigger and space them out more :)

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
I wish

.... Others members than CC, Rick Toroto and so could write a motto below their nickname....it's a perk for seniors members only?:alien:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
calamardoazul said:
.... Others members than CC, Rick Toroto and so could write a motto below their nickname....it's a perk for seniors members only?:alien:

Right now just moderators, but we may extend this.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chris since you brought it up what would you like to change about DR1

Come on spill it. ;)

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
It would be good if the post said the age and country of residence of the person posting. These login names don't say much about the person.

More advertisement.
The only reason I found out anout DR1 was because I visited albertpujols.com and there is a link on the site.
I asked friends about DR1 and no one knew about it.

Yes, I did tell them to check it out.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DMAO said:
It would be good if the post said the age and country of residence of the person posting. These login names don't say much about the person.

We do have a thread called location of members. Age? I really don't care because people can lie about that sometimes. Only very yong people care how old you are. It would be nice to know if a member is a male or female. Hard to tell by some names but then they have lied about that too in the past.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
We do have a thread called location of members.

But we have to look at each one of the posts. You should add to our login names the location. That way we immediately know where this person lives. It's not always the same people posting so we don't remember their location.

Just a thought.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
joel pacheco said:
Anna, I guess we are the only ones to use our real names on the forum.

That is if Anna is your real name...

Yes real name and last name. I'm female living in Ontario wishing to live in DR one day soon. Age? Well depends what day it is and what mood I'm in. I'm a nonna that's all you need to know. ;)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
joel pacheco said:
Anna, I guess we are the only ones to use our real names on the forum.

That is if Anna is your real name...
Excuse me???? I have used my real name since I first joined DR1 in June 1998. Ken, Rob, Dolores longer than that. Jim Hinsch, when he used to post here, always used his real name. More recently, Jan, Larry, Betty and a few others use their real names.....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Chris since you brought it up what would you like to change about DR1

Come on spill it. ;)

OK, at the risk of giving Robert heart failure.... these thoughts come from a sense that I have that the boards are just a smidgen less 'lively'. And it is moving on to a new year and I find myself in a 'pensive' mood...

1. We have a lot of 'tools' to use, ignore lists, buddy lists etc, etc. I have not once needed to use one of these tools - are they necessary? and do others find them valuable? Together with the warnings system, they leave me with a feeling of 'punitive' action if I would dare say anything wrong :nervous:

2. I get the sense that most of the 'controversial' happenings now happen before the posters are even aware of it. Kinda like 'hands-off' management. And believe me, I have an inkling that I've personally benefitted from this before, without even being aware. However, I think this may detract from the sense of 'liveliness' that the boards have. There is a sense of less participation (possibly not in the numbers, but in the feeling of the boards). I'm wondering if we do not need another forum, something like "the fighting cock pit" where the moderators could send those threads that really turn south in terms of the charter of their specific forum, but still have some merit - whether it is only amusement value. I know this may be more work for the moderators.

A 'fighting' forum like this will perhaps not detract from the overall quality of the boards as everyone will know that those are the treads that are destined to perish in shame... But, if the thread starter or a participant can rescue the thread, or the 'sinner' could perhaps even restate their points in a more acceptable manner, the moderator may be asked to 'repatriate' this thread? What do you think... Almost like a time-out to make sure good content remains on the boards and it would not be necessary to delete frequently... (Were any of you 'sent to the corner' as a child in order to take a little time-out?)

3. I would really like to see more threads like the one about Patwa or Creole. I found this fascinating and informative and gained a new respect for the knowledge base on these boards. This thread is a good example of what I'm trying to say in number 2... The thread went south and content needed to be deleted. And this was good content, although in a fighting mood! A little while in the 'fighting cock pit' and the thread could have all its content still intact - controversial or not.

4. Be a little kinder to Newby's ---- There are still newby's that find the boards overwhelming and do not want to post. Something that I hope for, is that the regular posters could refrain a little from the sarcasm about, say, a newby calling the DR the Dominican, and similar things. By all means, correct this, but perhaps we could lose the 'paternalistic' and sometimes downright sarcastic attitude. (Geez, I know it's hard!)

5. The mods (and I do appreciate every one of you!) could perhaps be a little less punitive and a little more participative. OK, now, get into the Xmas spirit and don't flood my inbox with hate mail.... It is just a little feedback --- feedback is good?

Anyway, to conclude, even if all of these things stay the same, I still think DR1 is one of the best boards around.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Dangerous talk--

Having acquired lots of warning points in only a few visits, I obviously would like to broaden the topics under discussion here. I would like to start talking about things like "attitude colonialista" - Puerto Rico, Haiti, Cuba, Costa Rico -- lots of things that are deemed out of bounds on this board. Don't see how we can have intelligent conversations when we are limited into thinking that this is some sort of desert island.

So - also - for the record - My name is Elizabeth Roebling - I am retired, a teacher, traveler, philosopher, peace activist - I am opening a free school for the street kids in Las Terrenas. I am fluent in English (I hope) and French, and am still completing my doctorate at Columbia University in Comparative Religion and English Grammer.

I hope to have the dissertation finished before I die. No pressure.

Elizabeth

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i would add a gay section

but that would never work

Last edited by a moderator: