Anyone coming to Las Terrenas?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi - I am in Las Terrenas - and am trying hard to figure out how to get a few things here -- if you are coming down, I would really appreciate it if you could PM me? I am opening a school for the street/beach kids and need books- in English, French and Spanish..... And little flashlights -

Thanks -
Elizabeth

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
School for Street/Beach kids in LT

mountainannie said:
Hi - I am in Las Terrenas - and am trying hard to figure out how to get a few things here -- if you are coming down, I would really appreciate it if you could PM me? I am opening a school for the street/beach kids and need books- in English, French and Spanish..... And little flashlights -

Thanks -
Elizabeth
Hi,
Great idea! Should be arriving around the 29th Dec. Will bring what we can manage to squeeze in extra, at least a few things. What age kids? Leslie

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mountainannie, I still have a few boxes of crayons and coloring books donated by Fireguy and his lovely wife. They gave to me to hand to the deaf school in Puerto Plata that we've been supporting and we've been handing out sparingly. We can probably spare 5 boxes of crayons and coloring books. Let me know if I could put this on the bus for you - do you know where to pick up, and can you arrange to meet the bus?. When are you starting.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Target Population

My target population is the 8-14 year old beach/shoe shine boys beach bums... Starting on January 15th. We have lots of coloring books and crayons here so it probably isn't worth the bus fare from Puerto Plata but THANKS for the offer. What we really need are BOOKS to read from. We have a very literate Haitian French speaking population and high Spanish skills. Need English/Spanish/French books for reading and translating.

The French have been running a free school for the kids here for years. Local schools seem to only go for 5 hours. Street kids seem to be from single parent homes. We're getting a computer/internet hookup and starting that with the local Police force (not my target but the ones who want to learn English - I will charge them 1/4 of work with the younger students for every hour that they recieve in instruction). We have a big population of Europeans here so we're not really poverty stricken. BUT I would certainly welcome any help in the way of books......

THANKS ALL -
Elizabeth

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Helping the children!

Hi Elizabeth, I just read your message ( a little late, but better late than never). I hope you are still in Las Terrenas helping the children. I know a few of them personnally and they are so sweet.

I always thought I would like to do something like what you are doing but unfortunately, I never stay long enough to achieve my goals.

I will be going to Las Terrenas at the end of February, so please let me know if there is something else you need. I would like to help.

Juniper

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'll be going to Las Terrenas in a few weeks too. Give me some idea as to what books you need and about how many and I'll try to bring some with me.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Chris said:
Mountainannie, I still have a few boxes of crayons and coloring books donated by Fireguy and his lovely wife. They gave to me to hand to the deaf school in Puerto Plata that we've been supporting and we've been handing out sparingly. We can probably spare 5 boxes of crayons and coloring books. Let me know if I could put this on the bus for you - do you know where to pick up, and can you arrange to meet the bus?. When are you starting.

Chris,

Please post or PM me with the location/contact information on the deaf school in Puerto Plata. I have been looking for a place to focus my limited charitable resources, and this sounds like it could be perfect. While not fluent, I know quite a bit of ASL (American Sign Language). I've met a couple of deaf Dominicans, and found I could communicate fairly well, although some signs are certainly different.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
RonS said:
I'll be going to Las Terrenas in a few weeks too. Give me some idea as to what books you need and about how many and I'll try to bring some with me.

Ron, I haven't heard from mountainannie. Please let me know if you do. Unable to send her an e-mail. Where will you stay when you go to LT?

Juniper

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper said:
Ron, I haven't heard from mountainannie. Please let me know if you do. Unable to send her an e-mail. Where will you stay when you go to LT?

Juniper

As soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know. I'll be at the Colibri on the 1st.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
mountainannie said:

Thanks -
Elizabeth

Had I knew i would have brought some for you. But unfortunetly I arrived this past weekend. Anyways good luck.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
RonS & Juniper,
I emailed mountainannie yesterday to alert her to renaissance of this thread. Unfortunately, it came back as delivery notification failure, so have emailed again today & so far it hasn't come back! I suspect her inbox may have been full, as she doesn't have Internet at home & is probably too busy to go to Internet cafes very often. I will keep trying.......if I'm successful I'll let you know........or probably she will.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Lambada said:
RonS & Juniper,
I emailed mountainannie yesterday to alert her to renaissance of this thread. Unfortunately, it came back as delivery notification failure, so have emailed again today & so far it hasn't come back! I suspect her inbox may have been full, as she doesn't have Internet at home & is probably too busy to go to Internet cafes very often. I will keep trying.......if I'm successful I'll let you know........or probably she will.

Thanks for your help.

Juniper

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
RonS said:
As soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know. I'll be at the Colibri on the 1st.

It looks like you are going to get to Colibri before we do. Not sure yet when we will be there. At any rate, if you get there before I do, please say hello to Marlene, Silvia, and Susana for me at the front desk. They are the greatest. (Sonia)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper said:
It looks like you are going to get to Colibri before we do. Not sure yet when we will be there. At any rate, if you get there before I do, please say hello to Marlene, Silvia, and Susana for me at the front desk. They are the greatest. (Sonia)

It will be my pleasure!

Mike and Roma

Jan 3, 2005
Hi,

Does anyone know if Mountainannie still requires books for her school. I have sent her a PM but get the impression from this thread that it is possible she may not get my message.

I will be coming from Toronto to the Las Terrenas area the week of February 27th and would like to bring her some books. I have many english books and some french. If I can get in touch with her prior to leaving I will load up.

Thanks, Roma

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
still here

Mike and Roma said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if Mountainannie still requires books for her school. I have sent her a PM but get the impression from this thread that it is possible she may not get my message.

I will be coming from Toronto to the Las Terrenas area the week of February 27th and would like to bring her some books. I have many english books and some french. If I can get in touch with her prior to leaving I will load up.

Thanks, Roma

i think I got through with a private message in response to this. Yes, I am still in Las Terrenas, now teaching English in two schools - ages 5-14 - 5 classes --- no books at all. So any basic word identification books with the pictures so I can point, a good English grammar * I used Warriner's for years - also any poetry for kids - particularly the Winnie thePooh which i adored. CD's of kids songs would be great - my invented lyrics to "if you're happy and you know it" are getting a bit tired.

I wrote an article for this months escape america magazine at www.escapeartist.com and am getting about 8 emails a day on it.Most of them I have just referred back to you all as you know more about the country and banks and all that.

sorry I haven't been on line - don't have internet in the apartment anymore.

weather is awful. Robberies abound - my sandals, my headlamp, my little collection of earrings from all my friends, and then 0h no -- my hammock. I dive down and come back up - it's only stuff. And i did leave the stuff outside or was in a hotel. Lucky it wasn't with a machete to my throat.

Working now on talking up getting water to the village. It's a bit much to have the resort hotels on the beach and the locals bathing in the river. Spoke to the German baker today - talk it up among the Germans --- about 100 of them - hey, they should be able to do it, right? All the French report continuing attacks of parasites and are thin beyond the point of chic.

I meet interesting new people every day.

best to all -

elizabeth

Mike and Roma

Jan 3, 2005
Elizabeth,

I should be able to put together a medium sized suitcase of books for you. I have many children's books including a couple of talking books that should be fun. I will continue to dig through my piles and see what other useful learning material I have. My son was in special ed for language development so I have quite a bit of material that I picked up from scholar's choice. It is good to know that these books will be put to good use.

I did not receive a pm from you yet. If you can provide me with your contact info or location of the schools, I will get in touch with you closer to our arrival date.

Thanks, Roma

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
wow - a whole suitcase?

thanks so much for your generosity. Most of the people coming here seem to be building houses and bringing the supplies in bit by bit - up to the limit with their weight limits. Both the schools I am have a few books left over from audio lingual courses but the tapes have long been lost and then the books aren't worth much. I don't have a tape player even - can only use cds - and at least one good grammar book would help. I am not really trained in this - just having studied four languages for umpteen years - but there was such a need. Many of the schools have English teachers - but they don't have the correct pronunciation and so...... Really appreciate the help -- thanks - e. hope you got the pm and can get through on my email next time - sorry about that --

Mike and Roma said:
Elizabeth,

I should be able to put together a medium sized suitcase of books for you. I have many children's books including a couple of talking books that should be fun. I will continue to dig through my piles and see what other useful learning material I have. My son was in special ed for language development so I have quite a bit of material that I picked up from scholar's choice. It is good to know that these books will be put to good use.

I did not receive a pm from you yet. If you can provide me with your contact info or location of the schools, I will get in touch with you closer to our arrival date.

Thanks, Roma