Houseware in Santiago

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
We will be shopping for dishes, silverware, glasses, wastebaskets and god knows what else for our new Sosua apartment. In NY I wound go to Bed Bath and Beyond or Crate and Barrel. What are the best stores in Santiago and Puerto Plata? Thanks - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've always used Ochoa in Santiago. And Santiago is usually better value than Puerto Plata.............but price up first. Distribudor Gonzalez is probably biggest in PP, one branch in Parque Central one on Separacion.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
In Santiago...

You can go to Plaza International....there is a big store there for home items. But it is pricey. You can go downtown and roam through the stores picking up this and that. You never know what you will find at a good price. The Super Pola, La Sirena.........SuperMercado National........Ferretaria Ochoa....Ferreteria Hache........You can shop in Metropolitano area, there are different upscale shops that offer this line of items. And El Encanto downtown.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Another option

Check out Pricesmart. If you don't have a friend to go with you who is already a member, you might want to consider joining. You can also save a buck or two on bulk household items. They have a pretty good selection of housewares, bedding, linens, appliances, etc.

If you have a big cooler, take it with you. You'll also find good prices on meats, frozen items and vegetables.

Dianne

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
I am awful......

Sould have mentioned that myself. Sorry about that. We'll be in Sosua over Christmas, but will be available after the the 7th of January. Give us a call and I'll be happy to go there with you. Escott, Marco and others have our numbers or pm me and we can set up a time to meet.

Dianne

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I may

I agree with all of the other posters, but, depending on what you want, price can vary enormously.
Follow Diane's guide, she has shopped extensively here.

I do know of a place that supplies hotels and is well off the beaten path. You might proce some stuff and see how they do. Diane knows where to find me and I just might be in that area the 26th and 27th

HB:D:D

Racer

Jan 2, 2005
In Puerto Plata

Try a store in Puerto Plata called AVALON. the address is Ave Luis Ginebra #117 tel 970-0668.They have a good selection of houseware and decoration items. Besides selling a large selection of personal items for men, women and children.