Santo Domingo coming back

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Hello everyone. I just got back from Santo Domingo. I must say I was a little impressed with the way the city is comingo along after all the mayhem. Last time I was there in late early 2003, it was not very nice. Now the city seems to be cleaner, even the Colonial Zone seems in better shape. Although I must say the financial ambiance is not as upbeat among the population but it seem also to be recooperating. Real Estate prices in the area I believe are way out of control. The prices of some homes I saw back in 2003 and that still are for sale, have doubled or even tripled. I also visited the Sosua/Cabarete area since there are a lot of expats there. I see why many expats choose that area. I am seriously considering moving to DR in 2006. To the expats living in the Santo Domingo area, what is your outlook for the metropolitan area? Will things continue improving? Is it a good choice to settle? To the expats in the Sosua/Cabarete area, the same questions with emphasis on real estate prices, as I am looking to buy a home either in the SD or Sosua/Cabarete area.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They have been busy paving the roads in the Colonial Zone. They have done a pretty good job up until now. Great clubs and restaurants are popping up all over the place, it's slowly becoming an excellent "nightlife" zone.

The main difference now is people have optimism, something that had been drained out of them the past 4 years.

I think things will continue to improve and the future looks very bright for Santo Domingo. Everybody (Dominicans/Foreigners) I talk to seem to have the same feeling.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Robert said:
They have been busy paving the roads in the Colonial Zone. They have done a pretty good job up until now. Great clubs and restaurants are popping up all over the place, it's slowly becoming an excellent "nightlife" zone.

The main difference now is people have optimism, something that had been drained out of them the past 4 years.

I think things will continue to improve and the future looks very bright for Santo Domingo. Everybody (Dominicans/Foreigners) I talk to seem to have the same feeling.

It will be bright only until another Hipolito makes his way into office, in about 3 more years.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mr_DR said:
It will be bright only until another Hipolito makes his way into office, in about 3 more years.

Let's not worry about that right now. It may never happen and crystal balling the future of the DR has never been very successful.

The city has a lot of optimism right now and that is slowly getting things done.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I have been visiting Santo Domingo for the past 7 years and agree that the place seems to be getting better, seems cleaner and the police don't pull me over twice a day looking for 100 pesos anymore. We moved here for good a few months ago, and though our apartment costs more than I thought It would, I think the strong real estate market is a good thing for home owners, and a good sign of an improving economy. I'm teaching at a university and the level of intellect and optimism of the students and professionals I encounter is very inspiring. For me, I need to live in a city, small towns can be so suffocating, and I always get bored in those resort towns after a couple of days on the beach.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
cops

You are right, last time I was there I must have been stopped by cops at least 10 times. Now I was never bothered. I must say at that pace things will improve for the better.

What university you teach in?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Speaking of Santo Domingo...

I am planning a little 3 or 4 day trip to SD, and was invited to 'mingle' with ...let's see...how would AZB put this...'high society' people while I'm there...

The question is this...I don't drink...beer is totally out of the question, so, besides a glass of wine with dinner, what else could I ask for and not be a total fool for asking in DR?

Here in Miami, if I have to have a drink to hold in my hands, I usually just ask for Tonic water with lemon, which looks like a drink...but actually it's just for show...

Do you think bartenders in DR would know how to make a "Cosmopolitan", or an "Apple Martini"???

I know it's kind of a lame question, but I really want to know so I won't embarrass myself...

The people I'm meeting are showing me around the Zona Colonial, which I've already visited with my friend Jan, and I hear it's becoming more and more popular...

They say they plan to take me to a place where...as they put it..."se bebe mucho, y se escucha buena m?sica"...

Any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MQ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fruit juices like limonada frozen, fruit punch or pi?a colada without rum, soda amarga, agua tonica are all socially acceptable non-alcoholic drinks.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Electricity?? Santo Domingo??

There seem to be several knowledgeable pelple with personal knowledge of La Capitol discussing the city's present & future.
I note with some surprize that no contributor mentions electricity & Santo Domingo in the same paragraph?
Better than the rest of the DR? Worse? All foreigers have adequate & very large plantas & can afford to pay? Therefrore, this entire area is a non-issue? Thank you.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I've heard that the electric supply problem was much worse 6 months ago in Santo Domingo, but since i've been here about 4 months now, it's definetly manageable. Power goes out for about 6 hours each day in my area, around UASD, it's out from about 10am till 4pm. We do a load of laundry first thing in the morning, turn on the water heater which keeps hot all day for when you need it, and the inverter with just 2 batteries, easily gets us through the day (TV, Computer, Fans if needed), when were home. We keep the freezer loaded with blue ice packs, which keeps it ice cold all day long. Not too much to complain about though I know we've been lucky so far.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
Naufrago said:
APEC/English of course

are you a Profesor in APEC that , or are you an Instructor in their english program,

i'm intersting in seeking a Post grado / masters degree with their business program will you know anything about this?

thanks
Gima

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Electricity

During my stay, the power issue was manageable. I stayed in the Bella Vista area and Arroyo Hondo, the power outage was limited to maybe one or two hours during the day and not everyday let me add. Although it was not the same for the Zona Oriental, power outages are more frequent and prolonged in that area. I guess, if you live in a somewhat better area, the power issue is less and less pronounced.

Naufrago, do you teach in APEC as full time or part-time?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Gee guys, they call me a professor, That's what my ID says, but I guess in actuallity, I'm just an English Instructor. What's the difference? I was working about 20hrs/week, since I started mid trimester and picked up departing teachers classes, but I've been promised full-time plus starting January.

PM me, or maybe we should start another thread. Apologies to the moderator.