Advance Pay of Utilities...Pro and Con

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Hola DR1'er.

I advance payments to Verizon without problem as my monthly bill is always the same. No long distance or cell calls made to the line. Only used for local calls and internet.

AES is a completely different story. First, after 6 months they have not installed my meter. I paid everything for the installation and meter cost, but I guess they are still building it! I have received three bills and its anyones guess how they determined my amount due every month. Its a reasonable rate to me so I am willing to pay it. I hate going in and waiting in line every month to pay bills. I rather pay 3-4 months ahead and go in only 4 times a year. Do you think AES would increase my bill if I advance pay?

Any advice?
TEHAMA

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sometimes a trap

Advance pay to Verizon is OK but do not be caught in their trap. I have paid in advance when I know I will be out of the country for a period of time. The reason is with them being so "customer oriented" it costs you more financially/emotionally to suspend service, then pay a reconnect fee, they know this, and use it to their advantage. So it is more convenient to pay up front. The downside of this is if they raise their monthly fees during your absence you may have a shortfall in your advance fee and not be able to cover the charges for time period you provided. If this happens, they cut your service for lack of payment, and you pay the reconnect fee on top of the increase. Reconnecting service is another weary battle.

Regards,
PJT

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Puerto Plata: Works O K.

I pay my electric bill [Edenorte] & my water bill [Coraplata] in advance, usually @ 6 months; at times with a credit card, at times with cash. I've never had a significant problem. The cashiers are not used to this; with Edenorte [always 15 - 25 people on line], I find that if I'm politely persistent, the cashier, or her supervisor, will accept the advance payments. Other DR cities & towns?? I don't know.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks. I have been told that AES won't accept advance payments by a friend. To which I replied, "there IS a Dominican (person/company) that WONT take money?" Perhaps as you say, its not done often here but travel alot and dont have time when in DR to wait in seemingly endless lines. I will try to be extremely pleasant when I attempt this today.
TEHAMA