Robert or anyone that knows.....

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I just received a copy of my Marriage License but it is called the "short version" can it be used in D.R.?

I was told the extended version is the only one that can be used for a divorce in the Dominican Republic or any foreign country.

Can you please clarify.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Please wait for an official answer.
I used to help people with the collection of their documents to immigrate to the US.
My guess would be the long version of the marriage cert. usually contains enough information to identify you in several ways. Like city and place of birth, mother's maiden name, stuff like that. The short version often says 'fulano and fulana got married in las vegas on december 14, 2004.' That's it.
Good luck.
mkohn
PS, you WILL want to get it translated, and then certified at the nearest Dominican Consulate.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If it contains all the relevant information (names of the parties, place and date of marriage) and if it's a certified copy (not just a photocopy), it will be accepted in the DR.

As mkohn states below, it will also have to be translated into Spanish and "legalized" at the nearest Dominican Consulate.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Thank you Fabio, it has our names, adresses, when and where we was married our birthdates. is that sufficient?? I am aware that I have to get it translated in spanish.