Dominican History Book - Buy it!

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-6544556-4325709?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Living in the states now, will go back to DR to live one day soon.

Picked this up at a local Barnes & Noble bookstore in Washington.

The early history is interesting but the Jorge Blanco-Balaguer era fascinated me the most. The history only goes up to 1993, but it's extremely interesting to see the specifics of how the economy declined in the mid to late 80s and how Balaguer LITERALLY institutionalized corruption in the government (so much so he literally wrote bribes into actual dominican law).

Here's a couple of juicy tidbits. When Balaguer came to power (yet again) in the late after Jorge Blanco there were 15 fully functioning power plants in the DR. Just 1 year after Balaguer came into power, there were only 3. The majority of the money to run these plants kept rolling in, obviously to the Balaguer cronies pockets.

After 2 years in power Balaguer's govt informed the WTO they would not be repaying the 80 million dollars which was paid off regularly under the past Blanco administration, as well as informing Venezuela they would not pay back over 10 million dollars in funds owed for oil.

In addition to this, to pay off other debts/bribes, Balaguer printed 300% more pesos to put into circulation in just under 2 years. Balaguer is wholly responsible for the sad state of affairs right now in the DR. There is so much more than just these few facts, but they are certainly fascinating and helps you understand just how deep corruption runs in the DR. It also sheds light on the hundreds of people that are killed each month in the DR for political/racial purposes by the Dominican police/army/government. It's really shocking. Keep in mind many of the people STILL in power in the DR were associated with this same regime, and not much has changed.

If you want to learn more about a side of the DR you know exists....check out this book. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but it really isn't........just found this book locally and was so impressed I thought everyone here might enjoy it as well.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes we've been recommending it to new residents for the last 9 years. It is available in DR in English for those who don't have Spanish. I bought my copy, paperback version, in Puerto Plata in 1996.

Terry O'Connell

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 21, 2004
And the tittle of this book is? Author? Any ID?

undefined
GilbertArenas said:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-6544556-4325709?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Living in the states now, will go back to DR to live one day soon.

Picked this up at a local Barnes & Noble bookstore in Washington.

The early history is interesting but the Jorge Blanco-Balaguer era fascinated me the most. The history only goes up to 1993, but it's extremely interesting to see the specifics of how the economy declined in the mid to late 80s and how Balaguer LITERALLY institutionalized corruption in the government (so much so he literally wrote bribes into actual dominican law).

Here's a couple of juicy tidbits. When Balaguer came to power (yet again) in the late after Jorge Blanco there were 15 fully functioning power plants in the DR. Just 1 year after Balaguer came into power, there were only 3. The majority of the money to run these plants kept rolling in, obviously to the Balaguer cronies pockets.

After 2 years in power Balaguer's govt informed the WTO they would not be repaying the 80 million dollars which was paid off regularly under the past Blanco administration, as well as informing Venezuela they would not pay back over 10 million dollars in funds owed for oil.

In addition to this, to pay off other debts/bribes, Balaguer printed 300% more pesos to put into circulation in just under 2 years. Balaguer is wholly responsible for the sad state of affairs right now in the DR. There is so much more than just these few facts, but they are certainly fascinating and helps you understand just how deep corruption runs in the DR. It also sheds light on the hundreds of people that are killed each month in the DR for political/racial purposes by the Dominican police/army/government. It's really shocking. Keep in mind many of the people STILL in power in the DR were associated with this same regime, and not much has changed.

If you want to learn more about a side of the DR you know exists....check out this book. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but it really isn't........just found this book locally and was so impressed I thought everyone here might enjoy it as well.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Title & Author

The book is "The Dominican Republic - A National History", by Moya Pons. You may recall that he was the Environment Minister (or equivalent) in the Meija administration. A well-respected academic, he seemed (to me at least) to have squandered his reputation trying to swim with the sharks.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Amusingly enough, my Dominican mother in law was visiting just a few weeks ago and had never even heard of the book.

Kind of sad.

However, I am amazed that the author even SURVIVED while writing it during the Balaguer years. I was friends with the children of many of Pena Gomez' top people during junior high/high school and their families were threatened/attacked in some way daily. I can only imagine he wrote this book in the US in high secrecy, or wrote the last 4 chapters after presenting it to the administration at the time.......or were these last 4 chapters added after Balaguer left office?

Interesting to ponder.

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
This book has had several editions now (at least in spanish) and it's a text book for some univserties down here. Even when Moya Pons is considered a very reputated dominican historian I do not agree with some of his views that obviously are tainted by his politicals belives.

EGB

GilbertArenas said:
Amusingly enough, my Dominican mother in law was visiting just a few weeks ago and had never even heard of the book.

Kind of sad.

However, I am amazed that the author even SURVIVED while writing it during the Balaguer years. I was friends with the children of many of Pena Gomez' top people during junior high/high school and their families were threatened/attacked in some way daily. I can only imagine he wrote this book in the US in high secrecy, or wrote the last 4 chapters after presenting it to the administration at the time.......or were these last 4 chapters added after Balaguer left office?

Interesting to ponder.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I read the book. Very informative but very dry. If you had no interest in DR history and were forced to read it, it would be a chore. However, after finishing the book, I feel I came away with a detailed knowledge of the Dominican Republic's past. It's amazing how much blood was shed over the course of time in the quest for control of the island.

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Local intellectual gossip says

that a lot of that book was written by young Jesuits that were studying Theology at PUCMM in the early 70s, and needed to study Dominican History as part of their course requitrements.

Frank has never been able to stick as a tenured professor at any of the universities where he has taught, unfortunately. I think that there is a character flaw somewhere that keeps him from making it.

Bernardo Vega is a much better writer, but he has not produced an all encompassing text such as this. And for all its flaws, it is still the best one out there.

And, of course, there is no real money to study what was said or written, or to do the research necessary to get the proof...

HB :D:D