US health coverage for expats - help

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
I will be living in the DR full time and am trying to find coverage from a US company. Does anyone have know of any insurance companies I can speak to about getting either full or emergency coverage. Do the major ones cover (ie blue cross etc)

thanks.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We are in a similar situation and have not found any US company that will cover you if you are out of country (US) for more then 60 or 90 days at a time. After much research (and still doing research) I have found Colonal to have the most comprehensive coverage, but it is not cheap. About $4600 for my wife and I a year (me 55 she 48). We are still looking

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I suggest you call Sabine Mertes at 809-885-2260. She is a very reliable insurance broker in Sosua. I bought a Dominican insurance policy for my "adopted" family in the DR that covers up to one million dollars per person, including treatment in the US. Unless you are talking about going to the US every time you need a doctor including checkups I think this policy makes sense. I'm not sure if it's available for non-citizens, as I live in the states and have my own insurance. - D

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
i lived in the DR for 3 years and did a combo of speciality risk international insurance for emergency and kept up individual blue cross for US. My blue cross was $71US per month and SRI was $110 every 3 months. You might also want to look into medivac insurance (air) like mariners have. It's also relatively cheap. In hindsight, I might have just done the medavac and blue cross. SRI is a good company. I was first looking st expat/traveler's insurance through Lloyds of London but my insurance agent turned me onto SRI which offered more competitive package.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
kkneafsey said:
I will be living in the DR full time and am trying to find coverage from a US company. Does anyone have know of any insurance companies I can speak to about getting either full or emergency coverage. Do the major ones cover (ie blue cross etc)

thanks.

If you have insurance at present, have you checked to see if you can continue your coverage when you leave the US? I have the blue cross blue shield insurance that I had when employed in the US many years ago. I must pay the bills and send the claims to the insurance company, but other than that delay in getting reimbursed. this has worked ok.