Its time for me to throw away my Inverter and Generator

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I have just purchased a home in the area known as Torre Alta (Puerto Plata)

This area has a lot of Influential people so a very small part of this older established area are connected to the Playa Dorada Power Company.....this translates to my family having power 365/24/7.

So you see there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

I'm sharing this recent news with you because I have been living in Puerto Plata for over 15 years and if I figured it out we probably have had power less then 1/4 % over all those years.
So we can finally tell ED Norte (local Power Company) to %^*$*@)(&%

Have a nice day

Gringo

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Spare tire

This news is wonderful for you but I suggest you do not become complacent. I live in the Bavaro / Punta Cana area and also have 365/24/7 service from CEPM. There have been times when CEPM has cut power to repair, install equipment, and most recently was the power loss as a result of hurricane Jeanne. I had my planta to fall back on. You do need a backup in this country. Just because you have new tires for the car does not mean you can throw out the spare. You never know when you'll need it.

Regards,
PJT

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I live there

Hey future neighbour, I live in Torre Alta, we almost always have electricity. When it does go out it is because of a problem, not lack of fuel or money.

When they upgrade lines they usually tell us in advance what days they will shut us off. It is almost always scheduled mon to fri from 9 am to 5 pm.....

Wooooo hoooo welcome to my world.....LOL

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Generator?? Inverter??

How much do you want for your generator?? For your inverter?? Brief descriptions, please. Thank you.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I Can't wait!

planner said:
Hey future neighbour, I live in Torre Alta, we almost always have electricity. When it does go out it is because of a problem, not lack of fuel or money.

When they upgrade lines they usually tell us in advance what days they will shut us off. It is almost always scheduled mon to fri from 9 am to 5 pm.....

Wooooo hoooo welcome to my world.....LOL

I'm sitting here right now on my Inverter as we have had no lights in over 2 hrs.

I will be nice to have a taste of what it was like back home once again....

I can not Imagine what it would be like to be told in advance what days there will be no service..........Almost like the civillized world.

Gringo

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My Generator I got an offer and it sold fast....

gringosabroso said:
How much do you want for your generator?? For your inverter?? Brief descriptions, please. Thank you.

As for my Inverter I will transfer it to my office.

However my friend who I saw today also lives in Torre Alta he was hooked up to the Playa Dorada Light service on Sat.

He told me he will be selling his 6.5 Kilo Kabota Gas Oil @ 70.000 Pesos

Pm Me if interested and I will give you his cell #

Gringo

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
POP power

Welcome to the 21st century! We live in Marapica, likewise we've got Playa Dorada power 24/7. Thanks to the power grid your homes' appreciation will be above normal.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I'll be interested in the answers. My electricity is included in my rent and the landlord is always whining about how much the bills are. I paid an increase for electricity starting in June and now he is saying he wants us to be separately metered. Fine with me, but of course he doesn't want me to pay any less for my rent. THe rent will decrease equal to my electricity usage.

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Torre Alta

Hi Guys,

I completed the building of my new house in torre alta III in june of this year, and we are on the playa dorada line (ofcourse) and it really is great, no poblems what-so-ever, sold my invertor and never looked back!

We use about 800KWH a month (No aircon as its nice and cool up there in the mountain, alos we dont have mosquitos!) and we pay about 4000 peso?s a month for the 24/7 service....... a real bargain wouldnt you all agree???

Nick

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HOw big is the house and how many people living there? Gives me an idea of how much mine will be when I compare.

My electricity is on the same company. I went and asked about my 10,000 BTU room air conditioner which is energy efficient, how much would it cost to run this 24/7 at full capacity.... I was told less then 1,000 pesos. That I added to my rent so that my landlord would not bitch about the electricity bills...... of course that did not stop him...LOL

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
planner...

hi Planner,

The house is about 400 sq. meters and we have exactly 51 lights, two tvs, microwave, washing machine (its never off my wife says!) fridge/freezer and even a hoover!

Hope this helps a little.

Nick

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Power bill

My bill runs about 1500-2000 on the Playa Dorado grid (Puerto Plata Power Co.)
That's without air, during the summer with 2 AC units 18 hours a day it ran
close to 5k pesos.
1600 sq ft 3/2, couple big TV's, lots of lights, washer, frig, microwave, hot water heater etc.
AND they actually read the meter!
Lot to be said for private enterprise.