Skin So Soft

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
I am in desperate need of this product. Does anyone know where I can buy some here in POP?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
DogsRule said:
I am in desperate need of this product. Does anyone know where I can buy some here in POP?

I trust you will be using it for it's intended purpose (Making/keeping your skin soft). If you plan on using it as an insect repellant, forget about it. Test after scientific test has proven it does not work for this. Yes, I know some people still swear by it, but that can only be attributed to the "placebo effect".

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Don't believe it

It works really well on mossies. I was told the British army use it. (probably because it's cheap). Save yourself a fortune and use it regularly and you will be fine. By the way ... Vanilla works for me too and is even cheaper! We have a friend who uses "Bounce" - the sheet stuff you put in tumble driers to make your clothes smell nice. She just wipes herself down with it.

So use whatever works for you - check out the instructions (and price) on a tin of Off and make yourself feel a lot better too.

Simon

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Sweetdbt-
I totally disagree. Georgia is the only place other than DR known for Mosquitos. I have used it for YEARS and its has worked like a charm.

I suggest trying it for yourself. Perhaps it works differently on your body chemistry.
TEHAMA

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Sweetdbt-
I totally disagree. Georgia is the only place other than DR known for Mosquitos. I have used it for YEARS and its has worked like a charm.

I suggest trying it for yourself. Perhaps it works differently on your body chemistry.
TEHAMA

I confess to never having tried Skin-So-Soft for this purpose, mainly because I heard early on that it's effectiveness as a repellant is an "urban myth" which has been discounted by scientific tests done by Consumer Report magazine, among others.

http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/skeeters.htm

Further verification that the original skin product is not truly effective for this purpose is that Avon has since come out with a seperate product, Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard, available in both deet and non-deet formulations.

It is possible that some individuals may feel that it works for them, but these are anecdotal cases, as compared with double-blind scientific studies. I also understand that a lot of people don't want to use products with deet because it is toxic when used improperly.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Juanita, is this you, perchance?

I have tried this number numerous times, and it appears not to be a working number. I have tried both with the "1" prefix as for a cell phone and without the "1" prefix and only get a beep beep beep beep sound. I tried to simply find 33 Av Circunvalacion, but the numbers do not appear to have any rhyme or reason to them as near as I can tell (#9 is across the street from #99!). Is there a landmark that you can tell me to look for? Is it near Jose Louis Supermercado or the Banco Popular or up at the other end?

juanita said:
Vendedora Productos Avon
Av Circunvalaci?n 33
Puerto Plata
(809) 291-5254

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
I trust you will be using it for it's intended purpose (Making/keeping your skin soft). If you plan on using it as an insect repellant, forget about it. Test after scientific test has proven it does not work for this. Yes, I know some people still swear by it, but that can only be attributed to the "placebo effect".

I agree with sweetdbt re effectiveness of Skin so Soft as a mosquito repellent. There have been a number of studies that show it is less effective than, for example, products containing deet. One of the reasons it ranked lower than some other products was because its period of effectiveness was significantly less.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Isn't DEET a toxin? I'm sure if I slashed on gasoline it would work too!

I say don't rule it out until you try it.
TEHAMA

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Dolores posted a while back about vitamin B1. I've starting taking it but just wondering if anyone had any success with it working.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
TEHAMA said:
Isn't DEET a toxin? I'm sure if I slashed on gasoline it would work too!

I say don't rule it out until you try it.
TEHAMA

I have tried it. I didn't say it didn't work, I said it wasn't as effective as some other products. Of course, you won't know that if you don't try them.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
skin so soft

I have used sss for many years. We sucba dive all over and have had great results with skin so soft. Even in Honduras where you have bugs from noseeums to misquetoes with fur on them.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Georgia is the only place other than DR known for Mosquitos.
Try fishing on a lake in Canada in the middle of Summer. Mosquitos will then seem mild any where you go.

When I was in Costa Rica, Deep Woods OFF was the only thing that protected me from being eaten alive.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It all depends on the mosquitos. In Florida, skin so soft worked like a charm. In Costa Rica, I had to resort to deet. In Panama, there were so many mosquitos that I used deet for the mosquitos and Skin-so-Soft to actually rescue my skin after all the deet products. In the DR, someone I've become accustomed, or they are after younger blood. A squirt or two of "off" now will do it for me. (Maybe it is the alcohol ;) )

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
DogsRule said:
I have tried this number numerous times, and it appears not to be a working number. I have tried both with the "1" prefix as for a cell phone and without the "1" prefix and only get a beep beep beep beep sound. I tried to simply find 33 Av Circunvalacion, but the numbers do not appear to have any rhyme or reason to them as near as I can tell (#9 is across the street from #99!). Is there a landmark that you can tell me to look for? Is it near Jose Louis Supermercado or the Banco Popular or up at the other end?

Sorry I should have writen that I got the information from the yellow pages. Maybe the office in Puerto Plata is closed but this one in Santo Domingo is open:

Avon Products
Av 27 de Febrero 70
Santo Domingo
(809) 683-1155

Also you may want to ask around if anyone knows of an "Avon lady" I have one in my office so I get my stuff from her! Good luck ;)

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Avon Lady

juanita said:
Sorry I should have writen that I got the information from the yellow pages. Maybe the office in Puerto Plata is closed but this one in Santo Domingo is open:

Avon Products
Av 27 de Febrero 70
Santo Domingo
(809) 683-1155

Also you may want to ask around if anyone knows of an "Avon lady" I have one in my office so I get my stuff from her! Good luck ;)

Where is your office? In POP? I don't want to go to Santo Domingo to get it; I'll just order on-line if I have to and have it shipped. I just thought maybe there was someplace near POP where I could buy it. If you are in the area, I'd be happy to order off your Avon lady.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
DogsRule said:
Where is your office? In POP? I don't want to go to Santo Domingo to get it; I'll just order on-line if I have to and have it shipped. I just thought maybe there was someplace near POP where I could buy it. If you are in the area, I'd be happy to order off your Avon lady.

No, sorry I'm in Santo Domingo!

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Skin so soft and NOT itchy!!!

It works!!! It does... it does... against mosquitos that is... it has saved me, a friend brought a bottle from NY for me and it works WAY better than that stupid bottle of OFF that I had.

Only problem is that is can stain clothes and or sheets :cry: which I found out today after having done my laundry at the 12 horas (ave. Italia) real laudry mat washers and dryers 50 pesos wash, 55 pesos dry... I guess maybe if I had soaked my shirt first it may not have ruined it... though, otherwise I'm sure there would be more complaints about that.

Get some if those moquitos keep you up!

Tig.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Got it

tiguerita said:
It works!!! It does... it does... against mosquitos that is... it has saved me, a friend brought a bottle from NY for me and it works WAY better than that stupid bottle of OFF that I had.

Only problem is that is can stain clothes and or sheets :cry: which I found out today after having done my laundry at the 12 horas (ave. Italia) real laudry mat washers and dryers 50 pesos wash, 55 pesos dry... I guess maybe if I had soaked my shirt first it may not have ruined it... though, otherwise I'm sure there would be more complaints about that.

Get some if those moquitos keep you up!

Tig.

I finally broke down and ordered some sent to me from the states. I know it works because I too used it before. Perhaps I have placebo mosquitos attacking me. For those for whom it doesn't work, que lastima. They can use whatever product works for them.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
For those still looking!

The Avon ladies have a promotion on Skin so Soft products this month.

Body Lotion + Hand Cream: $459.90
Hand Cream + Liquid Soap: $299.90
Body Lotion + Body Wash + Soap: $799.90