mounting pictures on cement block wall

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
I've just rented a new apt., and now I'd like to put some pictures on the wall. I've never been very successful doing this with a simple nail in cement block. It always seems to take a chunk out of the wall. Is there actually a "right" way to do this so that I will not end up having to do major repair work on the wall when I move?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hole in the wall

You need to use a masonary drill bit 1/4 inch and drill a hole where you want to hang the picture. Insert a plastic sleeve that are sold in hardware stores, 1/4 in. is green in color, screw in a screw and hang picture. When inserting the sleeve make sure you recess it so that when the time comes for you to leave you take out the screw and spackle the small hole and apply paint. ;)

edited for spelling

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Easy trick! And you won?t need a drill or no cement holes. In the Ferreterias they sell these small nails that come with a white plastic cap. First you put the little nail in with a special tool that comes in the package and then you nail in the white cap. And when you take them out all is left is a really tiny hole. They are really strong! I don?t know the name, I would have to look but ask for ?los clavitos con la tapitas blanca?. ;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juanita said:
Easy trick! And you won?t need a drill or no cement holes. In the Ferreterias they sell these small nails that come with a white plastic cap. First you put the little nail in with a special tool that comes in the package and then you nail in the white cap. And when you take them out all is left is a really tiny hole. They are really strong! I don?t know the name, I would have to look but ask for ?los clavitos con la tapitas blanca?. ;)
We call them 'clavitos invisibles'. I have them all over. If the pictures are REALLY heavy buy the plastic hooks with 3 little nails are sold next to the other ones.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I seldom go against da PIB

Mostly 'cause I luv 'er so much....but also 'cause she be so smart.

However, this time I must report that a three nail do-hicky that we used upstairs to hang a very valuable Jacinto Dominguez painting (pastel) cost me three large for a new frame....durn thing fell off the wall...

This time I am going with drill and hole...better over engineer than spend that much money again...

HB :D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm with the HB totally - but it's hard to go up against the Pib... that three prong little white thingy that hangs on the wall by hope and prayer - I don't have good experience with them.... Luckily I have a very handy husband around - overengineering is the thing. Drill, bang a green plastic thingy in the hole, then, some other kind of screw that gets screwed in and sticks out just a fraction with a big head on it, and I can hang my picture...

When you have to fix the wall after, screw out the thing with the big head with a screwdriver, pull out the green thingy with a pair of pliers.. that is if it does not come out with the screw with the big head, and fill the hole with putty. Touch up paint, and you're done...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Well, maybe if you two stop hanging hammocks with it...

The only heavy thing I have is the mirror in the entrance, so far it's held by the three-prong thingamaboobie with no problems. I will report back when it breaks.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the help y'all. Now I don't have to face the prospect of looking at bare walls for a year. :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rick Snyder - possibly not the green thingy, but there needs to be some understanding of the level of 'engineering' support I have in my house.

The 'green thingy' comes out - carefully, with long-nosed pliers -- just 'cause one does not leave one's green thingy's behind in one's walls... Richard, the boy engineer said so!

(I have left a few green thingy's behind in my life though - filler-poo in the hole before Richard could see me...)

Hammocks? Nooooo! takes at least three days to hang a hammock - starting with a 6 hour trip to the hardware store ... then, much contemplation together with a few buddies and beer. Then, at least a day to sort through one's tools. In our house, after hanging a hammock, it usually is necessary to rebuild the wall to get rid of the hammock-hanging equipment . ;)