The "sankie" strikes again!!!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Last week while enjoying herself at Lou's Shark Bar on Sosua Beach a nice friendly Canadian woman was drinking with us along with her Dominican "husband". Everything seemed to be fine. The woman was truly enjoying herself singing rock n roll and laughing. However, her Dominican "husband" brooded. Suddenly he yells to her "let's go!". She told him that she was having fun and wanted to stay a litle longer, the "husband" became quiet. later on they finally left and we said our good byes. The next day we find out that the "husband" beat the living daylight out of this woman's face and tried to suffocate her with a pillow. He then took all of her credit cards and money and took off. Meanwhile this woman was hospitalized in Puerto Plata for several days with her injuries. She is now safely back in Canada and we all wish her well!

If you are reading this, Take care my friend, whoever you are (I did not know your name). I did what I could with the help of Big Lou at the Shark Bar to help you out. I passed the info of this "sankie" to my military friends. However, it is my understanding that you are married to this man. You need to report this incident to the authorities in Puerto Plata. Do not let this man get away with what he did to you. Even in the Dominican Republic women have rights!!!

I know, I know that this happens everywhere but being that this is a DR1 thread I wanted to share this tragedy with all of you.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
DominicanScotty said:
Even in the Dominican Republic women have rights!!!
Not only that, the guy can find himself in a very tight spot as domestic violence is harshly punished. The main problem there is with this is that women do not report these cases or don't know their rights.

As an anecdote a few years back my apartment was broken into. My friend's husband, a Dominican-American, went with me to the police station on Anacaona to report it. When we got there we found a youngish guy handcuffed to a bench. My friend's husband, suspecting that the guy was an American (he was swearing like a sailor, in American English) went to see if he could assist a fellow American.

Upon finding out that the guy, who was a resident in one of the towers on Anacaona, had been arrested for beating his wife (nationality unknown) he just bailed out. He asked the policeman what they were going to do with the guy, "pa'l palacio" was the answer, meaning the scary jail in the Police headquarters. Apparently he had also tried to bribe the policeman, and the policeman had also put that on his 'file', on top of the wife beating. "I take no money from wife-beaters". Wouldn't you know, even scummy policemen hold wife-beaters in little regard.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Pib said:
Not only that, the guy can find himself in a very tight spot as domestic violence is harshly punished. The main problem there is with this is that women do not report these cases or don't know their rights.

As an anecdote a few years back my apartment was broken into. My friend's husband, a Dominican-American, went with me to the police station on Anacaona to report it. When we got there we found a youngish guy handcuffed to a bench. My friend's husband, suspecting that the guy was an American (he was swearing like a sailor, in American English) went to see if he could assist a fellow American.

Upon finding out that the guy, who was a resident in one of the towers on Anacaona, had been arrested for beating his wife (nationality unknown) he just bailed out. He asked the policeman what they were going to do with the guy, "pa'l palacio" was the answer, meaning the scary jail in the Police headquarters. Apparently he had also tried to bribe the policeman, and the policeman had also put that on his 'file', on top of the wife beating. "I take no money from wife-beaters". Wouldn't you know, even scummy policemen hold wife-beaters in little regard.

Thanks for adding to this thread. Yes, many women do not understand that they DO have rights here. The problem in many cases is that their husbands and his friends brainwash them into believing that nobody would ever help them if they were abused. This is NOT the case if it is reported!!! I hope this woman reported this because this Bas****d could have killed her!