looking for a word in Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Possibly

Salto mortal al rev?s

Or "voltereta de mano al rev?s "

I think any Spanish speaker would recognize the former and gymnastics people wouold probably get the second.

Love from here, whee the rains are now in their forth day...pouring, pouring.

HB :D:D

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks, thanks!

In class this week we did New YEar's resolutions....and that is one girl's resolution, to perfect this manuever.

I said the quick way to find an answer is to post on DR1.

And I was right.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Back handspring...

...resorte hacia atras. Salto mortal would be a back tuck(flip with no hand placement on the floor). Hope this helps.

Carlos-Head Coach, Gymnastics Pacifica, Ca.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe in Mexican

But the dictionary I consulted after I wrote 'salto mortal' (which I knew was in a tuck position, BTW), gave the first translation for "Handspring" as salto mortal and the 'voltereta' as the second.

I have not been near gymnastics for a long time, and "resorte" makes sense, for sure, so it may well be used for all I know. I have not seen any of my gymnastics people to consult on this

Oh yeah, Simon and Schuster's International Dictionary

HB

Thinking a bit further on this: This may well be one of those occasions where Spanish does not have the same flexibility as English. A back handspring can be in any one of three positions-lay-out, pike or tuck--and I honestly do not have that vocabulary on the tip of my tongue...

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
And I'm advised to "hit the books, cowboy" by one

venerable Spanish speaker!!

Who said Spanish was EASY?????? Even the native speakers have trouble. LOL

Texas Bill

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
What is one to believe?

Hillbilly said:
But the dictionary I consulted after I wrote 'salto mortal' (which I knew was in a tuck position, BTW), gave the first translation for "Handspring" as salto mortal and the 'voltereta' as the second.

I have not been near gymnastics for a long time, and "resorte" makes sense, for sure, so it may well be used for all I know. I have not seen any of my gymnastics people to consult on this

Oh yeah, Simon and Schuster's International Dictionary

HB

Thinking a bit further on this: This may well be one of those occasions where Spanish does not have the same flexibility as English. A back handspring can be in any one of three positions-lay-out, pike or tuck--and I honestly do not have that vocabulary on the tip of my tongue...

After reading this post I just "had" to consult a dictionary.It listed "voltereta" as handspring(not back handspring) first, and "salto" second. I prefer to use the terminology that USA Gymnastics (our national governing body) uses. BTW I just came back from Bela Karolyi's National Team Training Center in Huntsville, Texas where one of my athletes was training with the national staff. There was no confusion as to what a back-handspring was. The coaches from Argentina,Bulgaria, Dominican Republic,Guatemala and Ex-Soviet Block Satellites all agreed.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So, it is hereby decreed that

RESORTE will be the term for handspring...

No sweat...

Thanks Carlos and congrats for having one of your kids at the National Training Center, I happen to know that it is not easy to achieve.

Cordially,

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.