Hotel in Santo Domingo?

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
I am flying into Santo Domingo and staying there for one night before moving on to the North Coast. Can anyone recommend a hotel, not too expensive for one night?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Skip Santo Domingo

Stay in Boca Chica at any of the decent tourist hotels (Costalunga, El Candil, Garant, etc.) since Boca Chica is only 10 km from the airport, the hotels are cheaper and the taxi fare is lower.

www.bocachiabeach.net has lists of oodles of them.

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Thank you

ricktoronto said:
Stay in Boca Chica at any of the decent tourist hotels (Costalunga, El Candil, Garant, etc.) since Boca Chica is only 10 km from the airport, the hotels are cheaper and the taxi fare is lower.

Thank you. I am flying standby and my sister isn't so I need a place for her to spend the night in case I get left behind. We will be leaving for the North Coast as soon as I arrive, so I didn't want an all-inclusive or anything too expensive.

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Not more than $50

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
What's your price range?
I didn't want to spend more than $50.00 US. The flight gets in late and the next morning we will be leaving for the North Coast. I checked Costalunga, El Candil and Zapata -- they all look fine and the prices are right.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Try the Duque de Wellington- Avenida Independencia. # 809-682-4525. Aint half bad for a night. Hotel Hispaniola should be about 60-65 U.S. or the Napolitan Hotel. Both reasonably priced with possible pick up at the airport.
Luck, John

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Taxi

Victor Laszlo said:
Note that a taxi will run you around $20US from the airport to BC. El Candil offers free airport transfers until 11 PM. I don't know if they'll do it for one night, but if you call/e-mail and explain the situation (the owners speak English), they just might.

http://www.comdata.nl/hotel-boca-chica-candil/
Thank you so much -- that was the next question I had in mind. I haven't taken taxi's much in the DR, only the motorcycles.

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Thank you

duhtree said:
Try the Duque de Wellington- Avenida Independencia. # 809-682-4525. Aint half bad for a night. Hotel Hispaniola should be about 60-65 U.S. or the Napolitan Hotel. Both reasonably priced with possible pick up at the airport.
Luck, John
Thanks for the tips and for the phone number.

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
Thank you

ricktoronto said:

Thanks so much for your recommendation. My sister and I ended up staying at El Candil for several days rather than one, due to lost luggage. I LOVED IT. Everyone there was wonderful, nice apartment, lovely pool, good breakfast food, night watchman and gated. It was my first time to Boca Chica, but I would love to go back sometime. I always go to the North Coast but enjoyed the South Coast as well on this trip.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
nancytres said:
Thanks so much for your recommendation. My sister and I ended up staying at El Candil for several days rather than one, due to lost luggage. I LOVED IT. Everyone there was wonderful, nice apartment, lovely pool, good breakfast food, night watchman and gated. It was my first time to Boca Chica, but I would love to go back sometime. I always go to the North Coast but enjoyed the South Coast as well on this trip.

Did the El Candil offer the free airport transfer when you thought you were only staying one night?

nancytres

Feb 19, 2002
El Candil Airport Transfer

sweetdbt said:
Did the El Candil offer the free airport transfer when you thought you were only staying one night?
I thought I answered this, but don't see the answer posted. Sorry -- I called ahead and found that they offer the airport transfer if you stay four nights and we originally had planned to stay only one, though we did end up staying four. The taxi was $20.00 from the airport and it all worked out well.