State of Latinos and Healthcare in NYC

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Everyone,

Mario posted something regarding a study that came out yesterday/today on the state of healthcare in NYC. Given the large Dominican population in NYC I think this is highly relevant to Dominicans abroad for two reasons:

1. Dominicans are among the highest nationality-specific groups without health care insurance coverage. This very well done erudite study was done by the Director of Urban and Minority studies at columbia U, who also happends to be Dominican. (Carrasquillo, 2003)
2. NYC is not an isolated case. This is a US nationwide problem for dominicans.
3. I believe, the one latino in upper management the report accounts for is a Dominican...Lantigua.
========================================================

CONDITION CRITICAL:
The Absence of Latinos Among Policymakers

in New York City?s Voluntary Hospitals

by Annette Fuentes

(New York: PRLDEF, December 2004), 66 pages

To download a copy of the full report as a PDF file, go to:

http://www.prldef.org/lib/Condition_Critical.pdf

Key Findings

● Six of 13 New York City voluntary hospitals surveyed had no Latinos on their boards of trustees; one hospital had two Latino members (representing only 2% of their trustees) and two hospitals had one Latino member (1% of trustees).

● One of 13 hospitals had a Latino president/CEO; the same hospital had Latinos in 33% of its senior management positions.

● 12 of 13 hospitals had no Latinos in any senior management positions.

● The Greater New York Hospital Association and the Healthcare Association of New York, the two largest industry lobbying/trade groups, had just one Latino each on their boards of trustees, representing 3% and 2% of members, respectively.

● The Greater New York Hospital Association this spring failed to meet the Equal Employment Opportunity standards of the city?s Health and Hospitals Corporation, a GNYHA member, because of lack of diversity in 7 of 20 job categories among staff.

Latinos Face Multiple Barriers to Care

● Hospitals routinely fail to follow regulations on providing language interpreter services for Spanish-speaking patients and others with limited English proficiency

● Hospitals fail to provide written materials, such as financial forms, in patients? language

● Hospitals receive millions in state funds to care for the uninsured but fail to inform patients such assistance is available

● Many hospitals maintain a dual system of care in their specialty practices � a clinic system for poor with resident doctors, and a private practice with attending physicians

● Hospitals serve low percentages of uninsured patients despite regulatory and legal mandates to serve all regardless of ability to pay; Public hospitals continue to be safety net providers for the uninsured and immigrant populations.

This report was developed by the PRLDEF Institute for Puerto Rican Policy and was funded in large part by a grant from the WK Kellogg Foundation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So What Is Your Point?????????????????????????????

It "works" like this:
Get into the US.
Learn English.
Get a job.
Get health insurance.

Not like this:
Get into the US.
Don't learn english.
Don't get a job.
Get on "Wellfare".
"Suck" of those that "DO"!!!!!!!!!!!!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Criss,

The point of the posting is to inform. The idea behind the report is that if you cannot make an accurate assessment of YOUR MARKET you can not provide EFFECTIVE HEALTHCARE. Thus, this report summarizes that the lack of Latino policy makers is hindering the effectiveness of service delivery to Latinos in NYC.

As to your posting:
Your assessment is inaccurate. You are thinking like a drone. Immigrants do not arrive in America to become drones rather they arrive to make dreams happen.

While I don't disagree with you that some people do take advantage of the welfare system, that does not tend to be their sole source of income.

The reality is that many Dominicans are small business owners. They own bodegas, service/retail type stores, hair salons, run taxis, clean houses, etc. and make a pretty decent living at it too. In New York City they are the #1 immigrant business owners, in Lawrence, MA dominicans own 80% of business. We REVITALIZE poor neighborhoods by HIRING PEOPLE, MAKING JOBS and PROVIDING FOR FAMILIES. However, as self-employed/small business owners healthcare coverage is COST PROHIBITIVE. Many small business owners cannot afford to provide their workers with PENSIONS, AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE, 401K plans, etc.

Lastly, a large portion of the people who are suffering are children. Children should not be made to suffer for the actions of their parents.

I truly believe that we should have socialized healthcare in the US. In fact we are the only industrialized country that doesn't. Given some of the figures I've seen...it's just greed that inhibits the transition.

Peace

Criss Colon said:
It "works" like this:
Get into the US.
Learn English.
Get a job.
Get health insurance.

Not like this:
Get into the US.
Don't learn english.
Don't get a job.
Get on "Wellfare".
"Suck" of those that "DO"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Delet" Like So Many Other Immigrants,Loves The "BENEFITS"

of living in the US,but out of the other side of their mouth make disparaging remarks about our "system"!
My sister lives in "Lynn"(The "GOOD" part!) so I have seen how Dominicans can "Improve" a neighborhood! Nobody wants to rent to Dominicans.They have the same habbits of garbage disposal that they have here!!! :cross-eye

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Criss, what's going on?

You're painting every one with the same brush. You're assuming that Deelt is just another poor immigrant when in fact, she's a very educated person. That's not what I expected from you. However I do understand where you're coming from with this. I mean, I make comments that piss other Dominicans off all the time because they don't wanna hear the truth about themselves and would rather blame someone else for their mistakes but that doesn't mean they are all lazy and leech off the system. Anyways, just wanted to say that.....

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
What part of "I am American" don't you understand? The "I", the "am" or the "American"?

While I can empathize with what you are saying I know of many well-kept and costly ($3 million) homes owned by Dominican entrepreneurs. I guess you must like visiting "that" part of town and hanging around "those" types of people. I guess we all attract that which we seek to find.

Best of luck to you.

Criss Colon said:
of living in the US,but out of the other side of their mouth make disparaging remarks about our "system"!
My sister lives in "Lynn"(The "GOOD" part!) so I have seen how Dominicans can "Improve" a neighborhood! Nobody wants to rent to Dominicans.They have the same habbits of garbage disposal that they have here!!! :cross-eye

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Jon S. said:
You're painting every one with the same brush. You're assuming that Deelt is just another poor immigrant when in fact, she's a very educated person.

That, my friend, is precisely the problem.