Internet Flash in Sosua

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From time to time I have some problems watching Videos on the computer because of too slow connection. I talked with the manager here at Condos Dominicanos about and uppgrade. We had a guy over from Computer system solutions to look into it. What he said was that it would not help to uppgrade, because the problem was that the Verizon server here in Sosua wasn't good enough.
Does anybody knows if this is correct ? Also interessted to hear others experience with watching video on computer here in Sosua.
It makes some sence what the guy told, because when it rains,like now, it's seems like the connection always is slower (people at internet instead of the beach).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
All I know is that I have flash and from time to time it seems slow. In fact, generally I don't think I am getting the speed I should.

Wouldn't go back to dialup, however.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The Verizon DSL (Flash) connection speeds go slow from time to time because of the amount of traffic on the server and on the network. Late at night/early in the morning is good to watch a movie on Verizon Flash.

I've also seen the deterioration in speed during rainy weather specifically on wireless. I don't understand it but your explanation may make sense.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok thanks for the answers. Would appreciate more answers form people who use internet to watch web tv in sosua thoug.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
From time to time I have some problems watching Videos on the computer because of too slow connection. I talked with the manager here at Condos Dominicanos about and uppgrade. We had a guy over from Computer system solutions to look into it. What he said was that it would not help to uppgrade, because the problem was that the Verizon server here in Sosua wasn't good enough.
Does anybody knows if this is correct ? Also interessted to hear others experience with watching video on computer here in Sosua.
It makes some sence what the guy told, because when it rains,like now, it's seems like the connection always is slower (people at internet instead of the beach).
Condos Dominicano have only 256K. For decent viewing you would require double that. The cost for 512k is a fortune.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
I have the 512k and after accounting for TCP/IP overhead, I get what should be expected almost all of the time.

I do occasionally get a slower connection and more often than not, visualroute shows routing problems on the east coast of the US. Recently it was all messed up in the DR for most of a day, but generally is good.

Please be sure you understand what you are buying. 256k is awefully slow for dsl, so if thats what you have don't expect it to work like your friend's dsl in New York. 256kbps after overhead will yield 25-30Kbps on a large file... lots of small files will introduce the longer ping times we see here into the equation and appearant throughput will drop. 256k is pretty marginal for streaming video, you will get drop outs while it recaches some with most streams.