How do you type a tilde?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I am trying to make tildes and accents with a laptop using windows xp. On my old computer, I could type control 164, but none of the tricks work on the laptop. I cannot change the keyboard setting. I do have a tilde key to the left of the space bar, but I cannot figure out how to use it. I am making a program for a children's play. My last resort will be to put in the accents with a pen and photocopy the thing. I have this ` and this ~(with the shift key), but I cannot put them on top of anything.

Thanks
Mainer

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's hard on a laptop. I think you need to do that at the right side of the keyboard as oppossed to the numbers on top of all the letters.

I know because I was using my daughter's laptop one night and just couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. ;)

Good luck

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If there's no numerical keypad on the right (I don't use a laptop so guess I missed that) bring up the Character Map for the Font you are using and you can cut and paste all the special characters.

Gregg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
FireGuy said:
If there's no numerical keypad on the right (I don't use a laptop so guess I missed that) bring up the Character Map for the Font you are using and you can cut and paste all the special characters.

Gregg

Ok, now tell us how you do that?

Thanks

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Go to your START menu

click on Programs

Click on Accessories

Click on System Tools

Click on Character Map

Select the Font you are using, once you cut & paste it you may have to resize it (e.g. you may be working in 12 point and it may come up in 10 point).

Good luck.

Gregg

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Gregg

Gregg,
Thanks so much. It worked like a charm and wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. Because I am using many different fonts, I just fixed the font once I had pasted it. I probably missed a bunch of accents, but at least they will know that I tried.

Thanks again,
Mary

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you are online, go to www.babelfish.altavista.com type in the English word you need the "tilde'd" word for- pick English to Spanish then cut and paste. It is a mediocre translator at best but is handy to create accented words for you.

Or if you are using XP, download the free virtual keyboard and use that to insert accented letters.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
In XP, go to the control panel.
click on the regional and language options.
click on the languages tab
click on details
under settings tab go to the Installed Services box
highlight keyboard and click add
check keyboard layout/IME and open the dropdown box and select:
US International
click ok, then apply and ok, then and ok
reboot
their will be a toolbar on computer after the reboot

If you select US International while in a particular app., the keyboard pretty much works the same but you can add accent with left Alt key and ? and tilde by pressing Shift then ~ and the n. You switch the keyboard settings on the fly.

????? ?