is there a shopping mall???

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
i was just wondering, we just got a house in sosua and i only ever see shops selling paintings and stuff and occasianally a clothes selling shop. now i'm talking about the casa marina el batey area. where are the shopping malls and big supermarkets??? and places like the cinema and things you know just for necessities when i'm there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is something like you are looking for in Puerto Plata

But for the real thing you have to come to Santiago.

Internacional Plaza and soon, Las Colinas Mall, which will be the largest in the Caribbean, by far.

HB

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
But for the real thing you have to come to Santiago.

Internacional Plaza and soon, Las Colinas Mall, which will be the largest in the Caribbean, by far.

HB

wow santiago is bout an hor's drive from sosua tho isn't it??? how do sosua locals manage??? :eek:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
britishgirl said:
wow santiago is bout an hor's drive from sosua tho isn't it??? how do sosua locals manage??? :eek:

they shop online, then the guys from santiago just fedex the stuff. ;)

Nov 5, 2004
britishgirl said:
i was just wondering, we just got a house in sosua and i only ever see shops selling paintings and stuff and occasianally a clothes selling shop. now i'm talking about the casa marina el batey area. where are the shopping malls and big supermarkets??? and places like the cinema and things you know just for necessities when i'm there.

Congrats on youor house in sosua! :) I didn't know you were moving there! Who is "we"?

Yes...as said...the type of "shopping malls" you are reffering to, are going to be found in Santiago and Santo Domingo for now.
My first time in Dominican when me and my mother asked to be taken to a shopping mall in Puerto Plata my (now) fiancee took us to an area in Puerto Plata with a bunch of little shops, very far from what we consider a mall. Althought they did have some very good deals...then again the exchange rate was about 49 pesos to the American dollar! (GOD! I MISS THOSE DAYS!!! :cry: )

As far as movie theaters...you will probably hav eto go to the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata. Very cheap for movies..I lvoe the fact that you can bring a beer into the movies!!! Can't do that in Canada for sure! They only have 3 movies playing at a time though.

When are you moving into your house in Sosua?

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Congrats on youor house in sosua! :) I didn't know you were moving there! Who is "we"?

Yes...as said...the type of "shopping malls" you are reffering to, are going to be found in Santiago and Santo Domingo for now.
My first time in Dominican when me and my mother asked to be taken to a shopping mall in Puerto Plata my (now) fiancee took us to an area in Puerto Plata with a bunch of little shops, very far from what we consider a mall. Althought they did have some very good deals...then again the exchange rate was about 49 pesos to the American dollar! (GOD! I MISS THOSE DAYS!!! :cry: )

As far as movie theaters...you will probably hav eto go to the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata. Very cheap for movies..I lvoe the fact that you can bring a beer into the movies!!! Can't do that in Canada for sure! They only have 3 movies playing at a time though.

When are you moving into your house in Sosua?

not movin yet, at the moment we jus wanna spend a few months a year out there an its in a nice gated community, eventually in about 2 years my dad will move out ther, i'm pretty sure, an well wen i've finished school, i wanna join the navy or army in 1 an a half years. but i'm not sure if i cud join the dominican 1 even if i got a dominican residency. movin to sosua is something i will definetly do before i hit 20!!!lol...whether i go to the army or not , i'll move there eventually

Nov 5, 2004
britishgirl said:
not movin yet, at the moment we jus wanna spend a few months a year out there an its in a nice gated community, eventually in about 2 years my dad will move out ther, i'm pretty sure, an well wen i've finished school, i wanna join the navy or army in 1 an a half years. but i'm not sure if i cud join the dominican 1 even if i got a dominican residency. movin to sosua is something i will definetly do before i hit 20!!!lol...whether i go to the army or not , i'll move there eventually

How old are you now?
Who purchased the house? Your dad or you?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
HeeHeeHee

Or should it be HoHoHo at this time of the year? Now we know why you ask the questions you do. Shopping Malls and all that stuff - we don't live down here on the North Coast for cinemas and malls my dear, we live here for the beach and the sun mostly. Sounds like you're going to get pretty bored in Sosua, Cabarete would be much more fun for a 15 year old!
Sorry, but I'm just a wrinkly irrascible old Brit!

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Peter & Alex said:
Or should it be HoHoHo at this time of the year? Now we know why you ask the questions you do. Shopping Malls and all that stuff - we don't live down here on the North Coast for cinemas and malls my dear, we live here for the beach and the sun mostly. Sounds like you're going to get pretty bored in Sosua, Cabarete would be much more fun for a 15 year old!

lol...i love the beach too and i pick sosua over cabarete any day 'cos i prefer the whole atmosphere. also theres loadsa internet cafes in sosua an i dunno why but i've always had a passion for internet cafes an "simple life"!!! :nervous: i can resist shopping if it means i get to hang out at the beach.lol

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Peter & Alex said:

You are absolutely right ... I came here with my two children then aged 9 and 11 .. nearly 3 years ago... although we miss being so close to shopping centres back in the UK ... we love the sunshine the beach and all the wonderful friends we have made here which has more than made up for loosing the shopping trips in the UK.

We either go shopping to Santiago or S. Domingo and when we travel abroad we stock up on clothes etc.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
britishgirl said:

Off the tourists obviously.. without the tourists there wouldn't be many locals. Look around you when riding/walking around Sosua. What do you see? Giftshops, bars, restaurants hotels and AIs. Without YOU the tourist there wouldn't be anything to make money from other then the dairy and some local farming/ fishing trades. They aren't really locals either because they come from all over the island to make/take their money from the tourist.
You want a shopping mall? You gotta go into the cities, Santiago and Santo Domingo. Caribe Tours is inexpensive and will get you there!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
For teenage style clothes shopping let me recommend a fairly new shop in Puerto Plata, Jimenez, near Caribe Bus terminal. Huge supply of gear, American sizes so bring a tape measure! In UK I'd be a size 12 for trousers........here a size 12 is whopping! I'm 8/9 here. Lots of skimpy tops that look great on 15 year olds but mutton done up lamb on people my age! You could easily spend 3 hours in there & they have changing rooms. Clothes are really inexpensive, too. I bought some there recently in a sale for 150 pesos, that's ?3. Even out of sale, they're the same price new as a good Oxfam shop in UK sells second hand. Have fun!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
I would suggest.....

......that instead of wasting your young life sitting in internet cafes you should be out and about doing the stuff that youngsters do in the Caribbean - windsurf, kiteboard, surf, learn to dive, etc., etc. What an opportunity for you now, cos' you're going to be a long time working though later life and you'll regret it.
You've obviously been here before but please don't tell me that you've found a nice local boy who loves you etc., etc. in one of those cafes?
God, I'm going - I'm beginning to sound like a long term DR1'er.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Peter & Alex said:
......that instead of wasting your young life sitting in internet cafes you should be out and about doing the stuff that youngsters do in the Caribbean - windsurf, kiteboard, surf, learn to dive, etc., etc. What an opportunity for you now, cos' you're going to be a long time working though later life and you'll regret it.
You've obviously been here before but please don't tell me that you've found a nice local boy who loves you etc., etc. in one of those cafes?
God, I'm going - I'm beginning to sound like a long term DR1'er.

lol :nervous:

@ lambada...thanks for the advice, i'm soooo gonna check out that shop next time i'm around

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'll take you to it, if you want..........but doubt I'd be able to hang around until you'd tried on everything! There's an assistant who has some English. Trouble is, it consists of 'You like this? Is pretty'...........over & over & over again! ;) I was saying it WITH her in the end. But for the complicated stuff we stuck to Spanish.

Nov 5, 2004
Escott said:
Playa Dorada has an interesting little mall that I enjoy going to every once in a while.

Playa Dorada is SOOOOO incrediably overpriced for anything though. I would never buy anything there, but like to shop around, just to see what they have occasionaly.