The Good the Bad ...see the dog section..and the Ugly!

Miami43

Oct 17, 2004
Hello Everyone!

I always read the Forum but since moving here in September, have not posted anything ( I do not think!). So the Forum has prompted me to do that ...so here goes!

My husband, George ,and I arrived on the north coast from Florida (native Miamian) on September 1st to start another grand adventure (we have had many). We are both retired and he is both a Canadian and U.S. citizen.

We are enjoying ourselves thoroughly and each day is a mini drama and a learning experience!

The GOOD is the place we chose to purchase in Casa Linda outside of Sosua. We are very happy with the community, association and our home. Also the GOOD Century 21 realtor, Dean Brown, we dealt with and his GOOD wife Wanda have helped us in many,many ways.

The GOOD is the wonderful and interesting people from all over the world we have met and socialize with including friendly and sweet Dominicans.

The GOOD is the network of persons that have helped us obtain our knowledge of who is who, who can fix what, who is honest and who is not,travel information, shopping (or lack thereof) tips.... the list goes on and on.... but you get the picture.

The GOOD is the improvement of general life that we see in just such a short time and that the goals for the country are becoming focused .

The BAD is the treatment of dogs on the north coast, especially Sosua ,which I am working to help correct by joining forces to spay these animals to bring down the pitiful and starving population. I hope all of you will do a small part to end this pathetic state of affairs as it affects and effects tourism $$$$. Some visitors will not return after an initial visit due to this AND it is just the humane thing to do. You can donate to The Friends of Animals through Angie Wolff at Sosua Business Systems. I will be writing more about on this subject in the future and any interested persons caring about this subject please contact me...

The BAD is Verizon .... they are actually MUY HORRID. I have never dealt in my life with such gross incompetence and organizational collapse.

The UGLY is the culture that thinks garbage is a thing of beauty and that perhaps somewhere, sometime, somehow SOMEONE will dispose of their litter. This also effects and affects tourism dollars from returning but I guess,in time,people will get that hint ....????

There I am, an American, already trying to change things (dogs mistreatment and garbage).... what can I say.... mea culpa....but there have been two MAJOR articles in the New York Times on the North Coast of the DR since August.... so the DR is getting good attention!!!!! This can be an economic BOOM!

Best Wishes for a Great Holiday.... Susan and George Price

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Well Spoken!!

You're honest. You're polite. Your observations are right on the money. I would't apologize. Change is part of life, even DR life. Many major changes are need in the DR. Americans have rights of free speech, even here. I'm also an American; I've been here 8 positive years. A Puerto Rican lawyer who practiced in Santo Domingo once told me that only 2 businesses make $ in the DR: zona france & tourism. You're exactly the type of permanent foreign resident this country needs - desperately! The national government should know what you think, as should others thinking of making similar moves. "Tell it like it is, Brother!" With apoligies to Jessie Jackson, or Al Sharpton, or Charles Rangle, or whomever. "Right on, Brother!" Please continue with your contributions. Thank you.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Miami43, welcome to DR1!

We've covered the garbage problem alot over in the DR1 Environment Forum, and had a very long thread about the dog problem you should read because there were several posters putting together plans to help on that issue, so you have allies. Just thought you should know.
Best Regards,
Keith

Thread on Controlling Stray Dog Population in the DR:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33374

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Miami43 said:
Hello Everyone!

I always read the Forum but since moving here in September, have not posted anything ( I do not think!). So the Forum has prompted me to do that ...so here goes!

My husband, George ,and I arrived on the north coast from Florida (native Miamian) on September 1st to start another grand adventure (we have had many). We are both retired and he is both a Canadian and U.S. citizen.

We are enjoying ourselves thoroughly and each day is a mini drama and a learning experience!

The GOOD is the place we chose to purchase in Casa Linda outside of Sosua. We are very happy with the community, association and our home. Also the GOOD Century 21 realtor, Dean Brown, we dealt with and his GOOD wife Wanda have helped us in many,many ways.

The GOOD is the wonderful and interesting people from all over the world we have met and socialize with including friendly and sweet Dominicans.

The GOOD is the network of persons that have helped us obtain our knowledge of who is who, who can fix what, who is honest and who is not,travel information, shopping (or lack thereof) tips.... the list goes on and on.... but you get the picture.

The GOOD is the improvement of general life that we see in just such a short time and that the goals for the country are becoming focused .

The BAD is the treatment of dogs on the north coast, especially Sosua ,which I am working to help correct by joining forces to spay these animals to bring down the pitiful and starving population. I hope all of you will do a small part to end this pathetic state of affairs as it affects and effects tourism $$$$. Some visitors will not return after an initial visit due to this AND it is just the humane thing to do. You can donate to The Friends of Animals through Angie Wolff at Sosua Business Systems. I will be writing more about on this subject in the future and any interested persons caring about this subject please contact me...

The BAD is Verizon .... they are actually MUY HORRID. I have never dealt in my life with such gross incompetence and organizational collapse.

The UGLY is the culture that thinks garbage is a thing of beauty and that perhaps somewhere, sometime, somehow SOMEONE will dispose of their litter. This also effects and affects tourism dollars from returning but I guess,in time,people will get that hint ....????

There I am, an American, already trying to change things (dogs mistreatment and garbage).... what can I say.... mea culpa....but there have been two MAJOR articles in the New York Times on the North Coast of the DR since August.... so the DR is getting good attention!!!!! This can be an economic BOOM!

Best Wishes for a Great Holiday.... Susan and George Price

The new governement is not taking trash and littering lightly and the fines could be up to $1000 pesos plus jail time.

Miami43

Oct 17, 2004
Keith R said:
Miami43, welcome to DR1!

We've covered the garbage problem alot over in the DR1 Environment Forum, and had a very long thread about the dog problem you should read because there were several posters putting together plans to help on that issue, so you have allies. Just thought you should know.
Best Regards,
Keith

Thread on Controlling Stray Dog Population in the DR:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33374

I have taken your suggestion and read the thread as well as others... thanks for the tip on how the forum works! It is fascinating. I have already met with Judy and Angie. I hope that with an organized effort and some much needed marketing to bring this problem to the FRONT burner we can have some success in controlling the population of these poor tortured animals.

Susan

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Miami43 said:

You sound like a very caring individual, but I have to point out something that has been left out of the equation as far as the dogs are concerned.

While it's true that spaying & neutering would help to decrease the population of unwanted animals, it does nothing to help feed these poor creatures. So, even if all the dogs are "fixed", they are then tossed back on the street to once again become starving hood ornaments. To me it would be kinder to simply put them down.

That may sound cruel to some, but as a dog/animal lover, I fail to see the sense in spending money, time and effort just to see them die of starvation or be mangled by cars in the end.

Dianne