Sitting at home in Canada, snow, cold and sh--

johnsenior

Sep 6, 2004
Everyday I read what goes on in the DR on this forum and on the DR newspaper. Every day I dream of being there to enjoy the sun and the female companionship and maybe even some of the expat that appear sympathetic, This board has taught me to be patient and wait a while longer so that I have enough funds to survive, but some of you have certainly experienced this feeling of wanting to pack up and leave like right now regardless of the consequences. Oh, how I wish I was there, with no electricity and nothing to do but go out to the disco, sit on the beach and walk around Sosua and/or Puerto Plata or maybe even Santiago? I write this in a state of intoxication, unfortunately not from Presidente. For those that I have shared some private communication, my next trip is planned for the end of March or beginning of April and I will let you know in advance so that we can meet if you are willing and discuss some of the relocation issues, I promise to be sober then. For the others who don't give a da-- about what I am writting well excuse me but I am just venting tonight, I guess jealous of those who are already established and who are having a good time. Those that are miserable like me right now, I'd like to hear from you in case I need to reconsider my eventual relocation.
Have a good evening, I'm sure it will be better than mine.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all..

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
johnsenior said:
Everyday I read what goes on in the DR on this forum and on the DR newspaper. Every day I dream of being there to enjoy the sun and the female companionship and maybe even some of the expat that appear sympathetic, This board has taught me to be patient and wait a while longer so that I have enough funds to survive, but some of you have certainly experienced this feeling of wanting to pack up and leave like right now regardless of the consequences. Oh, how I wish I was there, with no electricity and nothing to do but go out to the disco, sit on the beach and walk around Sosua and/or Puerto Plata or maybe even Santiago? I write this in a state of intoxication, unfortunately not from Presidente. For those that I have shared some private communication, my next trip is planned for the end of March or beginning of April and I will let you know in advance so that we can meet if you are willing and discuss some of the relocation issues, I promise to be sober then. For the others who don't give a da-- about what I am writting well excuse me but I am just venting tonight, I guess jealous of those who are already established and who are having a good time. Those that are miserable like me right now, I'd like to hear from you in case I need to reconsider my eventual relocation.

We need more Canadians like you!

No BS here. That is a very honest and down to earth assessment of how you see reality. Be careful with your romantic thoughts. Canada is a great country if you're not 55 years or older. Quality of life sucks when you're at that stage in life and live in the "great white north"

Cheers!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I should reconsider John.
The weather is terrible down here right now with rain most of the day (packing up tomorrow though) temps down to 22/23 deg at night, Presidentes now up to RD $46 for a large & RD $60 for the new liter size, Rum up to RD $80 plus per bottle ............. Life is just plain murder!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes & Have a Good one yourself!! ~ Grahame.
Oh, All the girls say 'Hi' too!!!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
johnsenior said:
Those that are miserable like me right now, I'd like to hear from you in case I need to reconsider my eventual relocation.

Sounds Like a change would do you good, and the same goes for anybody down here who's feeling the same way, do something different today than you did yesterday, and the next day, etc. Something will happen out of it, I promise.

Have a Great Holiday, meet someone new, do something different, through caution to the wind.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
BushBaby said:
I should reconsider John.
The weather is terrible down here right now with rain most of the day (packing up tomorrow though) temps down to 22/23 deg at night, Presidentes now up to RD $46 for a large & RD $60 for the new liter size, Rum up to RD $80 plus per bottle ............. Life is just plain murder!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes & Have a Good one yourself!! ~ Grahame.
Oh, All the girls say 'Hi' too!!!
I agee with Grahamme. I'll trade this crappy rain and clouds for snow and sun anytime. At least you can go outside.
On the good side, today it looks like it will be sunny. 60 pesos is not that bad for a liter of beer. That's only 3 bucks Canadian versus 5+ back there. Hope your wishes come true.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It is true that the weather has been horrible here on the North Coast. There is no doubt or arguement about that. Sometimes it is like that and it does get depressing but unlike Eddy, I am content that at least I don't have to shovel the crap:)

The one thing that is positive is that the women are still lovely to look at no matter if it is wet or dry out.

Happy holidays!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I hear ya Johnsenior!

Sitting here at home in Canada wishing I could go out in the rain to play!
How soon the expats (who maybe never had to "deal" with a Canadian winter) forget how cold cold can be! I'd rather be in the rain and cloud at 20-23C than in the sun and snow at -12C! :cry:

Thank goodness we leave Weds for Tampa for the holidays where 15C will feel like heaven after only a week of good ole northern Ontario winter!

Keep working, keep saving, and before you know it you may find yourself doing like us - 7-8 months here and 4-5 months (winter) there. It definitely helps if you can land a job that you can work at summers in Canada.

In the meantime take Naufrago's advice and live a little!!
God Bless and Merry Christmas!!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Miserable?

johnsenior said:
Those that are miserable like me right now, I'd like to hear from you in case I need to reconsider my eventual relocation.

Cheer up John.
Life is short and time too precious to waste being miserable.

Are you saying that you don't have any friends and family or enjoyable interests here in Canada?

As much as I enjoy my trips to the Dominican Republic and elsewhere, and some extra time is always desirable, it is always a pleasure to come home, even in the winter.

I like winter.
I like to breath the cool crisp air.
No annoying bugs and their potential diseases.
So the golf clubs get put away for a few months, no big deal.
I play hockey year-round twice per week.
So many other things one can do like party, ski, snowboard, skate, bowl, pool, poker, black jack, tennis, squash, ice fish, bingo, ...

Yeah, I know John, I miss the chicas too, but there are numerous lovely ladies here as well.
Perhaps not so easily accessible but opportunities are out there and they won't be knocking on your door.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for everybody.
Cheers.

johnsenior

Sep 6, 2004
Better days ahead

Thanks to all those who responded. It provided an extra boost that I desperately needed to get over this idiotic self-pity hang-over. 2 1/2 years and counting is what I need to survive and realize my dream of joining all of you who are already where I want to be, at least location wise. Meanwhile I will continue visiting once or twice a year and stay in touch by reading DR1 and other boards as well as news articles. I will start learning as much Spanish as I can. I'm told it should be easier for me since I am French. Hopefully the cost of living in the DR will not increase more than what my pension will be in 2 1/2 years but I guess no-one knows what the future holds. The wait will give me the time to really investigate where I will fit best in the DR and allow for the accumulation of a little nest egg in case things are not what I think they will be. Originally I considered only Puerto Plata or Sosua but as I connect with some of you I'm finding that there are other areas that may be of interest and where someone on a tighter budget might do better. I'd really like to meet some of you in their fifties who are residents of DR with limited budgets so I can pick your brains and discover some of your experiences and maybe some tricks I can use. My next trip is end of March or beginning of April 2005, probably staying in Sosua for the first time, although I have visited there during the day on previous trips. If anyone is willing to share their experiences during a personal meeting when I am there next, please PM me and Ill make sure to meet you when I go down in a few months.

Best wishes to all

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Johnsenior,

Hello friend. Though we haven't met yet, I feel I can call you that because of what we have in common. If all goes well, I will beat you down there by a few months, just about 2 years from now. No snow here in Virginia, but still too cold for me. Have some fun this holiday season. Try not to drink when you are feeling down. Save it for the good times. I'm hoping for a trip in late January and perhaps 2 more in 05. I'd love to meet you and exchange strategies if our vacation schedules match later. March/April probably won't be in the cards for me unless for some reason I can't go in January. God, I hope not!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
It is true that the weather has been horrible here on the North Coast. There is no doubt or arguement about that.

Oh man! How spoilt can we be -- a week or two of rain and cloudy weather and we call it horrible..

Yeah! it was horrible... but the sun is out now!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Chris said:
Oh man! How spoilt can we be -- a week or two of rain and cloudy weather and we call it horrible..

Yeah! it was horrible... but the sun is out now!

Yep, they also forget that the enviroment needs this rain....It is what keeps the trees nice, green and tropical.......Rain is always a blessing from God.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Just to make everyone feel good, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, it is -32 C degrees not counting windshield. Tons of cars didn't start this morning. It's literally freezing but such a beautifull sight for the eyes, trees are packed with snow, lots of snow everywhere, the smell of wood fire everywhere. Our lake is frozen solid for snowmobiling. I love it, but then again, I'll be in the DR in less than a week!

Cheer up John, Canada is a beautifull country with lots to do outside!

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Can't wait for wednesday

Jimmydr said:
Its 11 degrees here in NYC but I will be in Santiago Thursday morning. :eek:

I don't have it as bad here in Atlanta since its supposed to be a high of 35F today. However, I will be in Santo Domingo wednesday night!! Can't wait to go to the beach and enjoy the sun. ;-)

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jimmydr said:
Its 11 degrees here in NYC but I will be in Santiago Thursday morning. :eek:

11 degrees sounds like a heatwave right now....it was -1 farenheit (actual air temp not windchill) in good old Buffalo, NY this morning! Heading for Long Island to spend Christmas with my daughter and to get some heat! Counting down til we hit POP again 1/29. Happy Holidays All-judi

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
New Jersey

It's 17 degrees(F) outside at the moment with the wind chill bringing it down to ZERO. Earlier today my wife and I were discussing spending the winters somewhere in Cibao in the future. John, I hope that you will be able to make your dreams come true.

All the best,

JD

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well it was -31C This morning in North Bay, Ont.

with the wind chill making it feel like -48C!!
Try converting that to Fahrenheit and you'll have an idea of how cold COLD is!!
Thank heavens it's only -20C at 12AM with wind chill making it feel like -31C.

Tomorrow should be better with a "HIGH" of -12C

I can't wait to get to Tampa where it's a balmy 46F at present!! :cry:

Texasfool

*** Sock Puppet ***
Nov 9, 2004
I though you were exagerating a little

MommC said:
with the wind chill making it feel like -48C!!
Try converting that to Fahrenheit and you'll have an idea of how cold COLD is!!
Thank heavens it's only -20C at 12AM with wind chill making it feel like -31C.

Tomorrow should be better with a "HIGH" of -12C

I can't wait to get to Tampa where it's a balmy 46F at present!! :cry:

http://209.82.48.85/climate/historical.asp

That is some nasty weather, minus 33 c is equal to -27 F (weird, going up C is lower than F, but under zero it is opposite)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm