typhoid

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My girlfriend who lives in Sosua was just diagnosed with Typhoid fever. It seems to be easily treatable with antibiotics, but initially she had horrible headaches as well as fever. That freaked me out, because as, you might remember from our last thrilling installment, she is just recovering from a cyst on her brain. Luckily that was dissolved with medication.

She tells me that the water has been particularly dirty lately, due to the rain. I think those of us who brush our teeth or cook with tap water better reconsider at this time. I'm coming down from NY on tuesday, and might get a vaccination first if I have time. - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your girlfriend can get vaccinated here for typhoid. Tell her to go to Salud Publica with the children if they haven't had their shots. She'd better phone first to find out which days.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Lambada said:
Your girlfriend can get vaccinated here for typhoid. Tell her to go to Salud Publica with the children if they haven't had their shots. She'd better phone first to find out which days.

She goes to Bournigal, and has a follow-up appointment on Monday. I'll tell her to ask about vaccinations. For some reason, I don't think they were suggested. I think she gets very good treatment there. - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Danny, if your girlfriend's water comes from a cystern or tinaco, she can kill bugs in water by putting chloro in cystern. There is a powder you can get for cysterns. We do this as a matter of course every month or so, regardless of whether town water is particularly dirty or not. I've yet to hear of anyone coming down with typhoid in our immediate neighbourhood in Puerto Plata, but seem to recall your girlfriend is in Sosua? Anyone else in Sosua got typhoid?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Peter & Alex said:
I checked with our local doctors both here in Cabarete and in Sosua - Typhoid?? Very unlikely they all said!

She was diagnosed by 2 doctors in 2 clinics, Bournigal being one of them. She had blood tests as well. By the way, who are your local doctors? We need someone closer than POP. - D