Puerto Plata Beaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginald

Dec 20, 2004
I am going to be staying at the Hotel Victoriano in Downtown Puerto Plata. What is the closest beach for me to walk to? I do not mind a twenty minute walk. Also how can I get onto the Playa Dorado beaches without having to pay. I heard a story about some judges being refused entry to Playa Dorado beaches because they did not have their resort passes, though the beaches are supposed to be open to the public? Lastly how has the rainfall been this season?

Many Thanks,

Reg

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
unintentional oxymoron

Reginald said:
I am going to be staying at the Hotel Victoriano in Downtown Puerto Plata. What is the closest beach for me to walk to? I do not mind a twenty minute walk. Also how can I get onto the Playa Dorado beaches without having to pay. I heard a story about some judges being refused entry to Playa Dorado beaches because they did not have their resort passes, though the beaches are supposed to be open to the public? Lastly how has the rainfall been this season?

Many Thanks,

Reg

Reginald,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but while your hotel is only a short walk from the ocean, there are no beaches in Puerto Plata proper you would want to swim in. Definately nothing within a 20 minute walk of your location. The closest nice beaches are Costumbar and Playa Dorada. You can get to either easily and cheaply enough by motoconcho (If you don't mind living a bit dangerously). It would probably be an hour or more each way to walk. As required by Dominican law, there is a public entrance to Playa Dorada, and there is no charge. You hear lots of stories, and they tend to get twisted as they are passed from person to person. Probably someone tried to get in via one of the private entrances.

susanne

Dec 5, 2004
The story of judges is valid enough

sweetdbt said:
You hear lots of stories, and they tend to get twisted as they are passed from person to person. Probably someone tried to get in via one of the private entrances.

Nah, the story about the two supreme court judges was real enough. It happened in August 1999, if my memory serves me right. A security guard wouldn't let them in if they couldn't prove they were staying at one of the resorts. I assume they went incognito. They filed a complaint at the police station and the matter was later dealt with by the government. In April 2000 a resolution stressed that the law of public access to all beaches within a fringe of 60 metres from the waterline was to be respected.

Best regards,
Susanne

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You could try this...

Reginald said:

Many Thanks,

Reg

If you go to the beach in front of Pto.Pta. Beach Resort its ok, its not great by a long shot but its close to you and you can get food and drink's from Cosita Rica

Gringo

Status
Not open for further replies.