Rodent's revenge

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A muffled cry for help from the normally fragrant Chirimoya Mansions.

A few weeks ago a large mouse (or small rat) was spotted prowling in our kitchen. Every morning the evidence was there, leading us to believe that this was not a passing visit, but a mouse who wished to set up home.

Being of tender heart myself I campaigned for the humane mousetrap option, not being able to face the gory consequences of sticky paper or guillotine death trap again.

Not surprisingly, though, humane mousetraps are not easy to find in Santo Domingo, so we decided to go for the coward's way out: poison.

To cut a long story short, strong poison was administered. Mouse poo was no longer a feature of our kitchen surfaces in the mornings.

The late rodent is currently having the last laugh. A couple of days ago a pungent whiff started to brew up in the area just outside the house. We believe that the departed chose a drainpipe as his final resting place.

The smell in some parts of the house is overpowering, but the crypt is inaccessible.

What to do???

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I had the pleasure of being in the same position many times last year. At first I was using the sticky thing and I got upset because it would not only get the mouse but also the cute little lizards so I went for the strong poison! Once the perfume was coming out of my daughter?s bedroom and at first I thought it was a lost pamper, but was quick to realize it was much stronger! The little devil had made his grave in my kid?s mattress, but thank god in an easy spot! The second time I was not so lucky, the little men had said his last words in my futon! I was not gonna take the whole thing apart so I put it outside in the sun for a couple of days and it finally dried out, now sometimes when sitting on my futon, I?m sure I can feel the little bastard?s bones (uuuhhhhh!!!!) . But thank god, now that I have my over excited boxer, the little visitors seem to have moved away! :nervous:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Right, juanita. The collateral damage to innocent lizards, as well as the unsavoury task of prising off half-dead mice from the sticky paper has ruled out this method for us too. Your futon of death(TM) sounds too Gothic. :eek:

Meanwhile, Mr C has been trying to burn out the remains. Chiri has taken refuge at the back of the house, where the computer is located.

I think the next thing is to flush it out as mountainfrog suggested.

It may also be time to adopt a cat.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Sorry to here about your dilemma. Few things worse than that smell. That's always the problem with those poisons. There's nothing better than the good old fashioned spring set mouse trap (baited with a dab of peanut butter), just make sure you wire it to something, cause sometimes they crawl off bleeding with the trap attached. I spent years working in NYC supermarkets, and have killed more than my share of rodents with just about every method. As far clearing out the carcass, here's a thought: I'm amazed at the way these little tropical ants clean up everything, food, dead bugs, etc., I would try collecting some and set them on your little friend, they're voracious. Maybe just a good dose of Draino down the offending pipes. Be careful with the caustics, ventilation, long sleeve shirt, glasses, watch that splashback.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Naufrago, thanks, but this being the DR, this sort of extreme DIY is something we can avoid. We got the plumber in and the offending remains were cleared out, and the pipe modified to avoid a repetition of this grisly occurence.

The air round the Chirimansion is fragrant once more. :)

Typical that for the first time in recent memory we have a couple of days without any power cuts, that the planta fumes should be replaced with eau-de-decomposing-rat, for that's what it was.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh how I love your use of the language!!

"Eau de decomposing rat" got a giggle for sure!!

I am interested in knowing if the peanut butter really works...

I'll give it a try...Creamy or Crunchy??

Oh I am getting very angry at one fellow!

Don't like cats Chiri, and eau de cat pi$$ is as bad as Eau-de-decomposing-rat!!

Besides cats need to have constant rabies vaccinations because of the high risk as they fight the monster rat population or try and take on a mongoose by mistake....

HB

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
Creamy (smooth) And Crunchy Both Work.

Hi Hillbilly.

Peanut butter works (both kinds), at least for Canadian Mice! I'm an exterminator by trade up here in Canada. If you want to avoid having a mouse die from eating poison and making a stink, then Snap Traps are the way to go. Don't put too much on the trigger!! Just a little touch is all that is needed. If you need more pointers send me a PM. Looking forward to meeting you next month! :)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
The Experts agree: Peanut butter is known as the universal bait, very few animals can resist it. sometimes a little one can lick it clean without snapping the trap, but just rebait, you'll get him the more comfortable he becomes. Happy Hunting.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Jackson and Naufrago!

I shall bait the traps and keep a count of the victims.

Out, out, d@mn rat!!

Can't wait.

HB :D:D:D

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
After the Kill, don't throw the body in the basura, rather set him on a rock altar, so he'll be spotted by some scavenger, and consumed rather than wasted as burning garbage at the dump. Somehow that ritual absolves me of my guilt.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get A Cat!

We got a cat two years ago.No "Mouse Poop" spoted since! She kills mice,rats,lizards,birds,insect,etc!(I know,because she drops their dead bodies at my feet!)With 5 dogs that want to "EAT" her,she walks wherever she wants, knowing that they too are afraid of her!CC

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Rats...great big ones

Hi Luis. If the PB doesn't work, my mentor in Las Galeras insisted that Dominican rats' preferred food is chicken. Tried it 3 times in 8 weeks. 3 dead rats! The buggers were in the thatched roof. Stan
Hillbilly said:

Don't like cats Chiri, and eau de cat pi$$ is as bad as Eau-de-decomposing-rat!!

Besides cats need to have constant rabies vaccinations because of the high risk as they fight the monster rat population or try and take on a mongoose by mistake....

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Rat Trap

Hillbilly said:

HB
Make sure you get a rat trap not a mouse trap, You don't want to see a mean rat with a mouse trap stuck on him. Don't use glue traps, cause they scream all night until you get physical with him.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hillbilly said:

HB

Hillbilly--
I know for sure that peanut butter really works. I too, had the pleasure of rat poo on my counters, yes rat, not mouse droppings! Made the mistake of living on the lake..... And when I called the rodent killers, they decided that the sticky paper wouldn't do, and gave me traps, with peanut butter just plain ol' peanut butter, not the crunchy kind, and sure enough a few days later, had the bugger trapped with peanut butter on his teeth, yes I got that close to see it! Guess the family packed up and moved out after one of their own was caught and killed, and didn't appreciate the method! I'm guessing the cruky kind would work, as would extra creamy!
lisa

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
a few years ago, i had a similar problem with huge rats in my roof. poisoned them, but they didn't go out in the open to die, like everyone said they would, they eventually died in the same said roof. stunk to high heaven. just hoped to god the smell would eventually go, but it just got worse.
with the aid of newspapers, broomsticks, etc., i eventally managed to get them out.

never used poison again, instead i got one of those huge great big traps in cuesta. the ones where the offender walks in and the door slams shut, trapping the bugger.......i found this to be much more humane.

......................................besides those holes which are supposed to let the animal breathe are ideal for dunking the trap in the bath and drowning the bastard.