Since most of you do not read the newspapers, so here

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
is something from yesterday's List?n Diario, perhaps the widest circulating, large format paper in the DR.

SANTIAGO: CULTURAL CAPITAL OF 2004

The article reviews what has happened in Santiago over the past year in order to deserve the title.

The Centro Le?n, of course. The largest and most modern cultural center in the Caribbean.
The Centro de la Cultura: Theater, music, dance
Casa de Arte: Live art, jazz, photography, UNESCO young Artists
37 por las Tablas: The home of the theater arts in Santiago
Ateneo Amantes de la Luz: public library, scene of literary groups and ceremonies
Gran Teatro del Cibao: Theater, comedy, music, Choral works, get togethers on Friday evenings at the bar: Jazz, merengue, poetry
Alianza Cibae?a: 120 year old public library, tiny but active in different areas of literature and civic matters.

It must be said that in the same section Puerto Plata was recognized for its efforts in Art.

HB:D:D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You only put that last bit in to humour me, didn't you????

New Years Resolution to self - Learn to read Spannish better so as to keep up to date with cultural affairs!!!

Thanks for the info HB, one night we must all go out to the theatre together & then "She who must be Obeyed" can meet up with 'my lovable but immovable protagonist'!!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Casa Cultural in Puerto Plata has been doing well recently, HB, with history nights, exhibits from Russian artists etc. We were impressed that 2 friends of ours, very new American residents of Sosua, made the effort to attend the art exhibition, using public transport, during the inclement weather. Where there's a will.........Hope they enlighten all their neighbours.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tongue in cheek:

You can lead a horticulture
But you can't make her a Lady!!

Actually the paper spoke very highly of POP and the arts. It applauded their efforts to use are both for culture and for tourism.

I agree with Bush, a "night at the theater" might be fun...

HB :D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Thanks HB, I really appreciate this list. I will certainly check each and every one of them out. I never knew about these places and I bet it will be news for AZB also but unlike me he probably won't even be interested. LOL

I wonder if someone would be so kind to post this info regarding Santo Domingo.

Escott

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Hillbilly

I appreciate the info. I too have difficulty reading spanish so I love to be updated.

My new years resolution is to get more involved in my adopted country.