From Sugar To Oil - From White Gold To Black Gold Dr!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am so excited about these new findings of oil in Dominican territory!!!

There have always been speculation of large quatities of oil in the DR since the 1920s, when an American company bumped into a small oil reserve near Azua!

Hopefully, if the presume giant oil field that supposedly spans from off the coast of the Carolinas states in the US all the way down to the Central Caribbean Sea, with Hispaniola being smacked in the middle of the action, if they find huge quantities of good oil, our gasoline problems could be solved!!!

That means:

1. Cheap gas. Ever been to Venezuela? It's good to pay 40 cents a gallon!

2. Electricity 24/7!!!! This is so exciting!!!!

3. Cheaper Transportation cost which would help slash prices for most items!!!

4. New tax revenue for the government which will ease the debt pressures!!!

5. More jobs!!!!

6. And, more importance given to the DR by Europe and US. That means it will be in the best interest of those places to make sure the DR remains as safe as possible and terrorist free because of the oil, if huge quantities are found!

I have a good feeling about this and I think there is a lot of petroleum in the DR and in Haiti. Overall, I just have a positive feeling about this!!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yawn. This rumor about the DR sitting on a big oil field has surfaced every year for so many years I have lost count... I'm begining to think it ranks right up there with El Dorado... :tired:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My humble hut north of Azua is sitting above a huge oil field. I have a document signed by President Ulyses S. Hereaux (Lilis) granting my great grandfather concession on petroleum exploitation in that area. Only a few dozen yards away from my hut, hydrocarbon gases and oil bubble up, and the oil has been used since Taino times to treat wood, cure animals, burn in lamps. However, any commercial deposit is surely between three thousand and ten thousand meters below the surface, making any exploration out of the ball game at this time. Maybe when oil goes over US100 a barrel, someone will be willing to invest the 500 million US$ needed for a well.

Mirador

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yeah, I had heard about the oil bubbling up near Azua. But supposedly every study, every exploratory well ever drilled in or near that region has concluded that what exists underground is not "commercially exploitable" enough to make it profitable for someone to set up the required drilling operations....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mirador said:
My humble hut north of Azua is sitting above a huge oil field. I have a document signed by President Ulyses S. Hereaux (Lilis) granting my great grandfather concession on petroleum exploitation in that area.
[snip]
Maybe when oil goes over US100 a barrel, someone will be willing to invest the 500 million US$ needed for a well.

Mirador
:eek:

But by then your contract would have expired, what with Lil?s being dead for... Never mind.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Well Keith........

The same was said about the Sauidi, Iraqui and Iranian Fields in the early days of exploration in that area.

That the island of hispaniola sits on the edge of adjacent tectonic plates is, I think a very significant event. The deep, subterranean pressures necessary to produce the hydorcarbons are ever present and have been for a couple of billion years. And looking at the ocean floor structure from the Carolinas to the Puerto Rican Trench and beyond to the South, it is highly possible that such a structure would produce many 'fields' of hydorcarbon deposits. At least, that is the latest theories that have been postulated.

Who knows.......maybe there is hope for the Caribbean Arc Islands after all???

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Keith R said:
Yes, Bill, but I never said the oil wasn't there. I said "commercially exploitable."

Sorry, that part didn't register in my calcified brain....Mea Culpa.

I'd like to take a look at the seismograph down around 15,000-22,000 ft and see what it looks like, however. Bet it gets interesting. A lot of pressure ridges in that area of the DR, which means a lot of pressure down deep. They'd be drilling through a lot of really hard rock and that IS very expensive. Lot's'a carbon bits to be worn out, and they ain't cheap by any means.

Texas Bill

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
That's exactly my point! I paid a dowser, and he said there's lots of oil below three kilometers, and the going rate to drill a well below that depth runs more than half a billion dollars.

Mirador

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Heheh....First the RD was going to be Singapore and now Kuwait, as always your commentary would make fox news proud.

This is one instance where I wish your dreams would come true as nothing would please me more than the reduction of arab influence in the world energy market.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Things change

Keith R said:
Yes, Bill, but I never said the oil wasn't there. I said "commercially exploitable."

What may not be "commercially exploitable" at $21 ber barrel may be a chinch at $65 per barrel and the largest reserve discoveries have resulted once drilling commences not from geological analysis.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There will be no locally exploited petroleum while the 'exploration' racket remains so profitable. I've seen it with mine own eyes, a foreign company with local partners acquire an exploration concession from the local authorities and then dig a few holes and blow up a few dinamite sticks, all to justify a tax research & developement tax rightoff in their home countries, splitting the profit with the local authorities.

Mirador