My friend and I (2 single guys looking to drop some
serious $$$ on some serious fun) will be visiting the
POP area from Dec. 31 to Jan. 5
Specifically, I would be enormously appreciative if some
of you can suggest:
(1) Best clubs to go merengue/salsa/bachata
(2) Best New Year's Party (Dec. 31 night time) for singles
(3) Best areas for meeting attractive chiquitas - if the criteria
is straight up looks, where would you recommend?
(4) Most cost effective rental car places
(5) Best beaches in the area
It's our first trip to the DR -- we're hard core studying Spanish,
but a little inside knowledge about places to go would be
a huge, huge help.
Thanks for taking a little time to read and answer this post.
We're in your debt.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I recommend that you stick to Sosua...ask around for the discos...there are 4 or 5 good ones...high Caribean, club latino, classico, la canoa, voodoo lounge...also read street signs/banners for special events/concerts...you may just get to see a live performance at the Sosua Carwash....have fun!

if you are a gringo/americano, you should rent from the car places at the airport...but driving in DR for first timers is not recommended...

Playa Sosua, Casa Marina Beach, Playa Cabarete, and Playa Grande are my favourites...i think you would enjoy Playa Sosua the best unless you are into kiting or wind surfing, then Cabarete would be my second recommendation for you.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi guys,
I just got back today from my 15th visit to the DR and since my (european) jetlag will not permit me to sleep, let me give you some info you need:

drenthusiast said:
My friend and I (2 single guys looking to drop some
serious $$$ on some serious fun) will be visiting the
POP area from Dec. 31 to Jan. 5
Specifically, I would be enormously appreciative if some
of you can suggest:
(1) Best clubs to go merengue/salsa/bachata.
POP: Ojilvy Car Wash, La Barrica, La Canita, Orion, Mountainview: check out what Planner has written about them a month ago.
Playa Dorada: not very familiar with the resort discos but there is a dominican place in front of it along the highway, El Campito, with regular concerts
Montellano: concerts in La Brisa disco, there is a new spot El Tipico de Montellano, just opened along the POP-Sosua road
Cangrejo: La Terraza Tipica also along that road often has live concerts
Montellano and Cangrejo are 2 villages in between POP and Sosua
Sosua: tourist discos D'Classico and D'Latino play a mix of dominican and R&B music, dominican places are Plaza Caribe, and Sosua Carwash if there is a concert
Cabarete: not familiar with the nightlife there
drenthusiast said:
(2) Best New Year's Party (Dec. 31 night time) for singles.
Since I understand that you will be arriving on the 31th, your best shot would be the Playa Dorado resort discos or the Sosua tourist discos, unless you know people who can get you to dominican places and can introduce you to their friends there;
drenthusiast said:
(3) Best areas for meeting attractive chiquitas - if the criteria
is straight up looks, where would you recommend?.
The beach, discos: it depends what you're looking for and how demanding you guys are. LOL.
For meeting 'chicas serias': get away from the tourist zone and head in your rental car towards Santiago, only 1h30 away. Go to bars around the Monumento for drinks first and to discos afterwards. Requirements: good spanish, well dressed. Try no to look like a vacationing gringo.
For the best looking 'professional' girls, the Bohen in POP is your best bet.
drenthusiast said:
(4) Most cost effective rental car places.
I don't know about cost effective, but the most reliable are probably the ones at POP airport.
Watch out for the potholes and the crazy dominican drivers but after all on the North Coast traffic is not very busy. If you are careful, you'll be safe. Santo Domingo traffic is much worse.
drenthusiast said:
(5) Best beaches in the area.
I like Sosua beach, it's big and there is always a lot going on. Cabarete is better for aquasports.
drenthusiast said:
It's our first trip to the DR -- we're hard core studying Spanish,
but a little inside knowledge about places to go would be
a huge, huge help.
Thanks for taking a little time to read and answer this post.
We're in your debt.
Have fun,
Bartolomeo

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Hi guys,
I just got back today from my 15th visit to the DR and since my (european) jetlag will not permit me to sleep, let me give you some info you need:

POP: Ojilvy Car Wash, La Barrica, La Canita, Orion, Mountainview: check out what Planner has written about them a month ago.
Playa Dorada: not very familiar with the resort discos but there is a dominican place in front of it along the highway, El Campito, with regular concerts
Montellano: concerts in La Brisa disco, there is a new spot El Tipico de Montellano, just opened along the POP-Sosua road
Cangrejo: La Terraza Tipica also along that road often has live concerts
Montellano and Cangrejo are 2 villages in between POP and Sosua
Sosua: tourist discos D'Classico and D'Latino play a mix of dominican and R&B music, dominican places are Plaza Caribe, and Sosua Carwash if there is a concert
Cabarete: not familiar with the nightlife there

Since I understand that you will be arriving on the 31th, your best shot would be the Playa Dorado resort discos or the Sosua tourist discos, unless you know people who can get you to dominican places and can introduce you to their friends there;

The beach, discos: it depends what you're looking for and how demanding you guys are. LOL.
For meeting 'chicas serias': get away from the tourist zone and head in your rental car towards Santiago, only 1h30 away. Go to bars around the Monumento for drinks first and to discos afterwards. Requirements: good spanish, well dressed. Try no to look like a vacationing gringo.
For the best looking 'professional' girls, the Bohen in POP is your best bet.

I don't know about cost effective, but the most reliable are probably the ones at POP airport.
Watch out for the potholes and the crazy dominican drivers but after all on the North Coast traffic is not very busy. If you are careful, you'll be safe. Santo Domingo traffic is much worse.

I like Sosua beach, it's big and there is always a lot going on. Cabarete is better for aquasports.

Have fun,
Bartolomeo

Hi guys,

Since you are going begining of the new year celebrations, start in the playa dorada complex( crazy moon and hemmingways). Then slowly work your way to susua and then cabarette. Car rental you can try budget and savings in the puerto plata aiport. You mentioned you wil be spending serious cash! well don't flash it around and keep it in a safe place or you will make headlines in the news. Stupid gringos roped again!. I mean if you don't get robed by the banditos, then the classy putas will clean you up of your cash while you are passed out. Just be carefull guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.