It's been too long

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
I need some advice, although i'm not sure if this is the right section, but hopefully i can get some answers. I have a good friend who lives in DR and I want this person to come visit me in Chicago for a few months. I've heard that marriage is the quickest way to get a dominican here, but i am in no position to do that right now and this person has never been here, so i only know him in the context of the DR but i would like to see what it would be like here if you know what i mean. Something tells me that this person might not like it here or i might not like this person here, but i got that dominican bug and i cant seem to forget about this person so im tired of waiting and i want to know either way, like i said its been too long. So what do i do? I want him to come for a month or two and i want it to happen fast because im sick of waiting. This guy is not well to do by any means but he has some property and a small house in his name, ive heard that that can make a difference. So if anyone can help me with some advice of what i can do or what he can do that would be very helpful. thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It will be a lot longer

Did you reat the Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican? If you can't answer yes to all three, forget about it. Not worht the heartbreak or the cash outlay.

It is not going to happen. Job? How much does he make? Can he get a letter from his employer? Does he have a bank account? A credit card? Can he write a check?

Unless you can answer yes to all of these do not even think of trying for a visa to the US, Canada or anywhere in Europe.

HB

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yep.

Hillbilly is correct, It would be a lot less expensive for you in the long run to grab a quick selloff and come down here to see him.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Gringo said:
Hillbilly is correct, It would be a lot less expensive for you in the long run to grab a quick selloff and come down here to see him.

Yeah i agree with these two gentlemen. It's alot cheaper for you to go down there than him to come to the us.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If you have doubts about this relationship. Do not bring him to the U.S. You may never be able to get rid of him when you get tired of him. Go visit him when you get the "bug". Go home when you are over the "bug".

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
thanks for all the advice although it is not positive. He has a job, a bank account, and i can answer yes to hillbilly's rules except for the visa. before he met me he had no reason to have a visa or to want to travel, so i see that as an acceptable exception. But Im tired of visiting the dr to see him, its a great place and all but im not going to leave my life and oppurtunities in chicago to go live in the dr. So i like the dr but i love this man, and just so everyone knows i have known him and been in love with him for six years and he is not a resort worker or a sankie and in six years of knowing him i know that he is an honest man. So, I want to know what do i have to do? Do i have to marry him, because that is an option. And just for kicks what is the process for marriage and how long does it take? Also, if anyone would be so kind as to lay out all the options for this situation, I would really appreciate it. thanks

player69

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 31, 2004
caitlin said:
thanks for all the advice although it is not positive. He has a job, a bank account, and i can answer yes to hillbilly's rules except for the visa. before he met me he had no reason to have a visa or to want to travel, so i see that as an acceptable exception. But Im tired of visiting the dr to see him, its a great place and all but im not going to leave my life and oppurtunities in chicago to go live in the dr. So i like the dr but i love this man, and just so everyone knows i have known him and been in love with him for six years and he is not a resort worker or a sankie and in six years of knowing him i know that he is an honest man. So, I want to know what do i have to do? Do i have to marry him, because that is an option. And just for kicks what is the process for marriage and how long does it take? Also, if anyone would be so kind as to lay out all the options for this situation, I would really appreciate it. thanks

I think you would have to marry him or engagement. I knew of a girl i was seeing she marrried a man from canada and in 7 months she was out of the DR. Perhaps you may want to contact the dominican consulate and us consulate for advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well two out of three ain't bad

However, any Dominican that qualifies, usually has his passport and visa...

As for your question, all it takes is a birth certificate, a passport, a proof of the fact that you are single, a certificate of good health and about RD$2500 and a nice JP will do the job. Then you will have to wait a year or so, maybe more to get him to the states...

If I remember correctly, there is some sort of fianc? visa available. From what I have read, it seems to be handled more rapidly, and the guy can go back to the DR if you should decide not to go through with it. After all, Chicago is a humongeous change from the DR.

HB

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just adding another 2 cents. Your not leaving Chicago, he may not like it in Chicago. You've known him for 6 years. You really love him. Has he asked you to marry Him? Get married or engaged, but figure this out already. Has he been waiting for you all these years? have you been putting your life on a shelf waiting for him? I don't get it. Follow your heart already. Make some mistakes. Make some big mistakes. That's what love is all about. When your ready I know a good dominican lawyer who can get you your divorce in about a week, just in case.