Which canadian issued cell phones work in the DR.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Just wondering if anybody from canada has brought their celphones with them to the DR. I once brought my various cell phone to the DR.
1. Fido-worked well. I was able to recieve and make calls.
2. telus-worked ok. I was able to make out going call,but not able to recieve
any calls what so ever.
I was wondering if anyone had took their Rogers cell phone over and bell phones. Thanks.

babyblues

Dec 4, 2004
I have had my older Audiovox bell phone work in the past. But since I've upgraded to a better so called phone with bell...no luck! Just a busy signal.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
had my blackberry with me over the summer and was able to pull up phone messages in sanchez. i didn't expect it to work down there. i only had it for use at the mtl airport so i was surprised. i have seen on a previous thread that blackberries were working in the capital for data and voice.

emereida

Jan 11, 2004
GSM phone the way to go in DR for travellers

All GSM phones will work there, but be ready to pay intern. roaming price. unless it's unlock, buy a activation there and use it with prepaid card.

Mario

emereida

Jan 11, 2004
Your are right 1900 only

Yes I forgot to tell you about the frequency they use there. I personaly used a Nokia unlock 3395 and bought a new activation for it and worked like a charm. Now I have a Motorola T720 and need to unlock it. This one is not as easy to do it but capable. Just put the orange chip and here you go.

Mario

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
emereida said:
Nokia (not all) are better to unlock.

Mario
;)

Yeah let me know how the Motorolla T720 works out. Because I got one and i want to activate it with orange.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
stallion said:
Just wondering if anybody from canada has brought their celphones with them to the DR. I once brought my various cell phone to the DR.
1. Fido-worked well. I was able to recieve and make calls.
2. telus-worked ok. I was able to make out going call,but not able to recieve
any calls what so ever.
I was wondering if anyone had took their Rogers cell phone over and bell phones. Thanks.

I deal with Rogers, and it has to be a GSM phone. When you go, you will get a text mesg wecloming you to Orange. But let me tell you the roaming charges will kill you, plus the long distance! So if you don't have to use it, or your phone is unlocked try to get a Orange phone chip, and use a Dominican phone #, It's wayyyyy cheaper!

lisa

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
baileyboy said:
I deal with Rogers, and it has to be a GSM phone. When you go, you will get a text mesg wecloming you to Orange. But let me tell you the roaming charges will kill you, plus the long distance! So if you don't have to use it, or your phone is unlocked try to get a Orange phone chip, and use a Dominican phone #, It's wayyyyy cheaper!

lisa

Yeah thanks, I plan on unlocking my phone and putting in a orange chip and just buy minutes. I mean the dominican has great cell phone system all incomming calls freeee!!!!!!!!. that is a bonus

dominicanflea

Aug 28, 2004
Telus

I have used Telus and it does work. The Punta Cana area uses CDMA and GSM. The roaming partner that Telus uses in that area is Verizon. The rate last month was $1.49 US/min

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
if any of you guys have problems unlocking any of your GSM phones please send me a PM i will unlock any and every GSM phone you may have at my shop.............................................

by the way ORANGE (DOMINICANA) already started the deployment of the 1800MHZ band in the north coast.........................

ERICKXSON (i'm not a cell phone) <<<<is just my name>>

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
if any of you guys have problems unlocking any of your GSM phones please send me a PM i will unlock any and every GSM phone you may have at my shop.............................................

by the way ORANGE (DOMINICANA) already started the deployment of the 1800MHZ band in the north coast.........................

ERICKXSON (i'm not a cell phone) <<<<is just my name>>

Where is your shop located and what is the fee?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
F. Thomen (corner) Jose Tapia Brea, next to Lavanderia Royal
Ensanche quisqueya.

Fees varies.................

Sorry I am only familiar with puerto plata area. Which city are located?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Malibook said:
I am with Rogers and I have a Motorola T720 GSM phone.

I just turned it on and it automatically connected to a network and was ready to go.

hey I have the same exact phone with rogers. I am in jarabacoa now. My was a pay as you go account. However it does not work for me. i was wondering is it because it is pay as you go from canada chip. or really bad connection in jarabacoa? it says emergency only. matbe i have to have a monthly account with rogers to have it work. will it work when i take it to orange to activate it?