Puerto Plata and area on a Mountain bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldcycler

Dec 23, 2004
Greetings to Dominicans, Ex Pats, and People in the know..
This is my first post, but have enjoyed reading the advice posted here for months.Thanks for the wealth of info.
Anyway, my thing is solo travel with a mountain bike and combining rigorous physical exercise with an exploration of the local culture and it's people, alternated by hanging out in the beach area's. I should say that I am already familiar with Iguana Mamma's and what they can offer as far as biking is concerned for the north coast. Great people over there, Joseba really has a handle on things.
I have explored by bike the Sosua to Gaspar Hernandez areas on #5. South to Jamao al Norte and points in between like the El Choco Rd. Thoroughly enjoying the diversity and challenge. This country and its people are fantastic and I look forward to discovering more of it.
I am returning to the DR in early Jan 05 and will be staying in Torre Alta. I believe I will be focusing more on the south and west areas outside of POP on this trip. It looks like it might be the type of terrain I am interested in. But who knows....I'm winging it and my plans can change on a whim. I'll be around most the month and would like to get a feel to see if this could be my snowbird destination.
My questions are : Is there a mountain bike club or bike shops in Puerto Plata? Any advice on interesting back roads or trails in the Puerto Plata area within lets say within a 30 km radius? Dirt tracks are fine. Where can I get a decent road or contour map of the Puerto Plata area once down there? Just looking to get pointed in the right direction.
Is there a decent gym in Puerto Plata with weights that has public access? Already know about the ones in Sosua.
Also, my understanding is that Torre Alta is close to Playa Dorada. How do I access the beach area's near there without paying $$? Ditto for info on Costambar beach also if anyone is in the know...Basically, where do the locals from Puerto Plata go to hang out on the beach? I already know about Playa Sosua and Cabarete and plan on spending time there to break things up once in awhile when I get the "urge".

* I would also like to thank the regulars at DR1. Your post's are truly helpful. I gotta tell ya, I'm really digging the whole "Sanky" phenomenon. WHAT A BONUS!! You are right on the mark about these people. Watching the "Sankies" & "Sankettes" performance is very entertaining........once properly educated to their game, and you properly identify who they are, attempting to reverse the roles and play THEM is even more fun!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Worldcycler said:
Greetings to Dominicans, Ex Pats, and People in the know..
This is my first post, but have enjoyed reading the advice posted here for months.Thanks for the wealth of info.
Anyway, my thing is solo travel with a mountain bike and combining rigorous physical exercise with an exploration of the local culture and it's people, alternated by hanging out in the beach area's. I should say that I am already familiar with Iguana Mamma's and what they can offer as far as biking is concerned for the north coast. Great people over there, Joseba really has a handle on things.
I have explored by bike the Sosua to Gaspar Hernandez areas on #5. South to Jamao al Norte and points in between like the El Choco Rd. Thoroughly enjoying the diversity and challenge. This country and its people are fantastic and I look forward to discovering more of it.
I am returning to the DR in early Jan 05 and will be staying in Torre Alta. I believe I will be focusing more on the south and west areas outside of POP on this trip. It looks like it might be the type of terrain I am interested in. But who knows....I'm winging it and my plans can change on a whim. I'll be around most the month and would like to get a feel to see if this could be my snowbird destination.
My questions are : Is there a mountain bike club or bike shops in Puerto Plata? Any advice on interesting back roads or trails in the Puerto Plata area within lets say within a 30 km radius? Dirt tracks are fine. Where can I get a decent road or contour map of the Puerto Plata area once down there? Just looking to get pointed in the right direction.
Is there a decent gym in Puerto Plata with weights that has public access? Already know about the ones in Sosua.
Also, my understanding is that Torre Alta is close to Playa Dorada. How do I access the beach area's near there without paying $$? Ditto for info on Costambar beach also if anyone is in the know...Basically, where do the locals from Puerto Plata go to hang out on the beach? I already know about Playa Sosua and Cabarete and plan on spending time there to break things up once in awhile when I get the "urge".

* I would also like to thank the regulars at DR1. Your post's are truly helpful. I gotta tell ya, I'm really digging the whole "Sanky" phenomenon. WHAT A BONUS!! You are right on the mark about these people. Watching the "Sankies" & "Sankettes" performance is very entertaining........once properly educated to their game, and you properly identify who they are, attempting to reverse the roles and play THEM is even more fun!

Hi
Torree Alta does not have any beaches, the beaches close to that are costambar and confressi. And i believe i seen a mountain bike shop in down town puerto plata it was near this supermarket i forgot the name but it's right in front of this supermarket. and supermarket is close to the caribe tours bus terminal. Atleast you are understanding about the sankies issues, I guess you graduated sankie 101. Good work

Status
Not open for further replies.