Appropriate Dress For Night Clubs?

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
Looking for some input from Dominican fellows here.

This gringo assumes nice collard shirts, nice shoes, and slacks are good enough to go to most night clubs? (especially clubs that cater to tourists). But I've been wondering if for some places, (clubs that are a little more up-scale, or cater to locals) I might have to step it up a bit....say a tie with that shirt, maybe even a sport jacket to "formal it up a bit"; or would this be over doing it? I ask this question because I know Dominicans are a people that tend to take more pride in their appearence then us gringos. For instance, I noticed Dominican men always were pants - even when its like 90 degrees!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jackson said:
Looking for some input from Dominican fellows here.

This gringo assumes nice collard shirts, nice shoes, and slacks are good enough to go to most night clubs? (especially clubs that cater to tourists). But I've been wondering if for some places, (clubs that are a little more up-scale, or cater to locals) I might have to step it up a bit....say a tie with that shirt, maybe even a sport jacket to "formal it up a bit"; or would this be over doing it? I ask this question because I know Dominicans are a people that tend to take more pride in their appearence then us gringos. For instance, I noticed Dominican men always were pants - even when its like 90 degrees!

the dominicans i seen there do not wear suits to night clubs. But some do wear sports jackets with dress shirt. Most night clubs do not allow shorts and baseball caps.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
No suits please

Your assumptions are correct. A sports jacket is ok but don't wear a tie or a suit to go partying. Girls would immediately classify you as a 'barracuda' hunting for tonight's victim.
Bartolomeo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I assume your talking about Santiago or Santo Domingo, as these are the only two places you will find upscale clubs.

Most clubs will let you in with jeans and a shirt.
Some you will need to step it up a little.

Tell me exactly what type of clubs your looking for and I'll tell you where you will find them and what your going to need :)

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
To Robert:

Tell me exactly what type of clubs your looking for and I'll tell you where you will find them and what your going to need :)[/QUOTE]

Robert: I'm looking for clubs where local Dominicans go to party. Probably not TOO up-scale because my spanish is limited and I don't dance that great. I'm looking primarly at the north coast, However I plan on visiting Hillbilly in Santiago, so he might have some suggestions for me when I see him. Thanks for your help. :classic:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Parada Alex in Sosua is a great bar if you're looking to meet up with locals and stay away from putas and sankies. Great ambiance and great company...not upscale, much more relaxed. Expectations are to dress up a little, but suits/sport jackets would put you quite out-of-place. It's located on the left-hand side of the highway on the way out of town towards Puerto Plata. On the right-hand side of the road is the entrance to Los Jaliscos.

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
trina said:
Parada Alex in Sosua is a great bar if you're looking to meet up with locals and stay away from putas and sankies. Great ambiance and great company...not upscale, much more relaxed. Expectations are to dress up a little, but suits/sport jackets would put you quite out-of-place. It's located on the left-hand side of the highway on the way out of town towards Puerto Plata. On the right-hand side of the road is the entrance to Los Jaliscos.

:) Thanks Trina for the input!! Sounds like a great suggestion! Parada Alex - I'll keep it in mind. :cool: