Question about entry

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am moving to DR with my friend in feb 2005. We are coming in on a tourist card and are going to do our residency with a lawyer when we get there. When entering the company we plan to pay AA to bring extra luggage (3pc's each)

Our plane ticket also has a return date 6 months from now. I have been to DR several times, but 6 weeks was my longest stay. I dont recall them looking at anything any time that I have visited but I know they have a new government and am just wondering:

1. Does anyone recall if when coming through cutoms in DR if they look at the return date on your ticket in conjuction with you being on a tourist card?

2. If we had 6 large pieces of luggage between the two of us does anyone think we would be pulled over and maybe they would want to go through it?

3. Has anyone here been searched coming into the country?

Just wondering because I plan on jamming as much as possible into this luggage hehehe and it would be crappy to have to open it all :(

Any experiences or knowledge on my questions please let me know

Thanks
C

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
cjewell said:
I am moving to DR with my friend in feb 2005. We are coming in on a tourist card and are going to do our residency with a lawyer when we get there. When entering the company we plan to pay AA to bring extra luggage (3pc's each)

Our plane ticket also has a return date 6 months from now. I have been to DR several times, but 6 weeks was my longest stay. I dont recall them looking at anything any time that I have visited but I know they have a new government and am just wondering:

1. Does anyone recall if when coming through cutoms in DR if they look at the return date on your ticket in conjuction with you being on a tourist card?

2. If we had 6 large pieces of luggage between the two of us does anyone think we would be pulled over and maybe they would want to go through it?

3. Has anyone here been searched coming into the country?

Just wondering because I plan on jamming as much as possible into this luggage hehehe and it would be crappy to have to open it all :(

Any experiences or knowledge on my questions please let me know

Thanks
C

Immigration sometimes looks at your ticket and sometimes does not.
I mean max is 3 months, if they ask tell them you will leave earlier and will change it later in the counter. With the amount of luggage you are bringing you will definetly pulled a side for inspection. My advice have a 20$ bull each and hand it to the customs inspector. Otherwise they will go through your luggage and charge you serious $$$$$$$$$$ in duty. I mean everytime i have excess baggage i hand them a kick back for me not to be bothered with. I have been searched and I had to pay some duty. Easier to tip them man.

Last edited:

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Ans. to all = yes and no

It all depends on many things.
1. If traveling with a tourist card they will usually look at the ret. date. If you are a US. citizen by birth or naturalization determines the outcome.

2. With so much luggage you are bound to call attention to yourself. Especially if they are overstuffed.

3. If you have not gone over the weight limit on your luggage I don't see any reason for them to open it. Don't give those thieves any $$ (I personally don't). If you are not the kind that would argue, give a $10 bill to that guy that inspects the luggage.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
:)

Thanks for the reply,

I am actually Canadian - Does that make any difference?

I will be sure to travel with cash jejejejejejejejeeje

Thanks
C