Current sailing conditions near Punta Cana ?

h1034x

Dec 25, 2004
Hi.
(And thanks for the detailled daily weather reports).

--->I would like to know how are the current sailing conditions in the northern side of Punta Cana (e.g. the Secrets Excellence)? Is it "dangerous" or what ? Some people say that the weather is perfect for windsurf or wakeboard experts. But that sailing is impossible. (Or not allowed.)

I use to sail on Sunfish, Laser and Hobbie Cats but it seems that, these days, many resorts refuse their customers to use their sailing boats, because of the wind (or waves). ["Mucho viento, hermano... Espera ma?ana.?]

And, according to your experience, what kind of sailing conditions can we generally expect during january ? (I'm going to Punta Cana for three weeks and if I don't sail, I die.)

Muchas gracias.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Nothing is Dangerous?????

In the Dominican culture, nothing is dangerous. But, the jefe decides if he is going risk his investments in the hands of a tourist. If the promoters at the resorts question your ability to pilot, take them out for a test spin and show off your skills. Also, give the equipment a personal safety check, property here is not maintained at the safety levels expected in North America or Europe.

Your average wind speed for January based upon this year's stats will be about 11 mph / 17 km/h. You can go from dead calm to a high of 18 mph / 29 km/h.

Regards,
PJT