Why do dominican business not accept torn money or mondey with writing on it?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I was wondering, why the dominicans do not accept torn money or scribbled cash? I mean it's money. Even the motochoncos do not accept it. The banks and government are real hard on that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some months ago

There was a government decree against the defacing of paper money.

Now, if you should have a defaced note, you are obliged to take it to a bank for replacement. It is a hassle.

HB

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Chris said:
Yes, it is a hassle. The banks don't want it either!

Kinda funny, the banks dont want DR currency with writing on it or torn, however they would gladly accept foreign currency with writing on it. I think they should think this one over.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
stallion said:
Kinda funny, the banks dont want DR currency with writing on it or torn, however they would gladly accept foreign currency with writing on it. I think they should think this one over.

i don't know about the banks, but i had cambios refuse to take dollars because they were torn a little bit.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:
There was a government decree against the defacing of paper money.

Now, if you should have a defaced note, you are obliged to take it to a bank for replacement. It is a hassle.

HB
Maybe you actually have to go to Banco Central. I know that the banks refuse to take them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You should have seen the money before they made this rule. It was dirty, torn, smelly. At least now they are trying to keep better quality bills in circulation.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Ken said:
You should have seen the money before they made this rule. It was dirty, torn, smelly. At least now they are trying to keep better quality bills in circulation.
Absolutely correct, before this law was voted, the dominican peso notes were the dirtiest I had ever seen.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Bartolomeo67 said:
Absolutely correct, before this law was voted, the dominican peso notes were the dirtiest I had ever seen.

Ten peso bills are the dirtest, they should make them coins! On my way to the airport this morning, at the toll booth, I got handed down what must be, by far,the smelliest, dirtiest 10 peso bill ever to circulate our in our funky economy.
Looks like the window wiper kid at 27 con lincoln is going to make some money today!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:

I take it you've never been to Haiti? ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There has been a welcome influx of new notes in the last few months, but before that most notes looked as if they could get up and walk out of your wallet.

Enough to turn anyone into an obsessive-compulsive hand washer (which I am, after handling money anyway). Thank goodness for those little bottles of antibacterial gel.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Chirimoya said:
There has been a welcome influx of new notes in the last few months, but before that most notes looked as if they could get up and walk out of your wallet.

Enough to turn anyone into an obsessive-compulsive hand washer (which I am, after handling money anyway). Thank goodness for those little bottles of antibacterial gel.

It's time they get rid of all the old bills and create crisp new ones. Some of the money looks like it has been burried in dirt. The only good notes I have seen were the $2,000 RD bills. But the $10 RD and $20 RD have been over used.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The are introducing new bills all the time, though I have no idea what prompts them to take old bills out of circulation. But the fact that I often get new bills when I use a bank ATM tells me new bills are being put into circulation.