best and easiest credit card?

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Hi Guys,

I need to get a credit card issued from a local bank here in the DR that I can use for online purchases.

When I left the UK I closed all my current accounts (Accounts with those facilities) and left only time bonded savings accounts. I do however have a letter of recomendation from one of my banks in the UK.

What I would like to know is where to go in PoP to get a visa card that I can use for a small number of online purchases (I know about the cost of exchange etc but these will only be small purchases). I understand that this will probably have to be secured by a savings account and that is no problem at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
hi chris,

Already had a look at that before posting here, seems though (unless I am reading it wrong) that you need a creditcard to open one of those accounts?

Nick

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Nick,
I use Mercantil for my Visa card. Pop into their bank in Parque Central & talk to Maribel - the manager & she will outlinf what they can offer. Mercantil also offer a 'Banking on line' facility which might be helpful too.

PLEASE make sure that you get a card which will be honoured by US accreditation organisations. Some of my purchases from US have been declined because of the Visa Card having been issued "Out of USA" & so we have to go through the "Argument Process" to get the card accepted verbally!! Pain in the butt sometimes! Fortunately this does not happen too often.

Good hunting & if you want me to introduce you to Maribel, just give me date & time!! ~ Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you do lots of on-line purchases, it is worth while to get a credit card in the UK again and use it with a facility like epassporte... Put the time and trouble in initially and then don't have trouble again. For me, it is too time consuming to go through the hassle of verifying a credit card over and over again. Also, credit cards from the DR are continually open to scrutiny on-line. For the larger companies, a DR credit card as well as a DR ip address means that they simply don't process your transaction. Things have tightened up in terms on on-line processing. I've not had trouble with epassporte online, but then again, I top it up before I buy.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I needed a credit card but had no significant history with Scotiabank so I put up $50,000 Pesos and secured a Mastercard. That is ok for now although it?s not really credit but I?ll create some history and my problem was solved.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
I needed a credit card but had no significant history with Scotiabank so I put up $50,000 Pesos and secured a Mastercard. That is ok for now although it?s not really credit but I?ll create some history and my problem was solved.

Did scotiabank in the DR hook you up with this deaL? AND which branch. I know one in front of supermercado tropical in puerto plata.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
stallion said:
Did scotiabank in the DR hook you up with this deaL? AND which branch. I know one in front of supermercado tropical in puerto plata.

Most banks here offer secured credit cards.

Usually they will let you use 80% of the secured amount.
Some ask you to take out a CD against the value of the secured amount.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Have you tried this new one?

I just recently applied for my new "Dominican Express Card" The Bank called me today and told me it will be ready PRONTO.

The Good news is that the Interest rate on my new card will only be 4% monthly.

Gringo

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Gringo...

Gringo said:
I just recently applied for my new "Dominican Express Card" The Bank called me today and told me it will be ready PRONTO.

The Good news is that the Interest rate on my new card will only be 4% monthly.

Gringo

Does that make it 48% per year....that would be good news?

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Thanks Guys

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, and thanks Grahame, I think that I will take a trip down to mercantil after the holidays.

I will not be making many purchases and they will be only small ones, I dont need the ?credit?part just the other aspects of the card so interest rates etc wont affect me.

Thanks again

Nick