Another business question

siren

Nov 23, 2004
I did a search on this topic and didn't have much luck so I'm sorry if some of you have to repeat yourselves. Here in the states, I was in the process of starting an internet company selling retail clothing. (nice swimwear and beach stuff). I got as far as purchasing my own domain and contacting wholesalers. I would like to continue my venture when I move to the DR. My concern at this point is the market and the availability of wholesale supplies. Any advice will help! Sorry if my spelling is off. My keyboard is about to bite the dust!

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
clothing store

i believe the only problem you'll find is the market, the clothing lines here face tough competition and you'll be selling a product that has substitutes.
(same product different price/brand). So my suggestion would be to contact wholesalers with quality or depending which is gonna be your main target.You need to get a difference from your store to the regulars one.

the internet market in the Dominican Republic is slow but there are a few companies that are investing in it .. like Supermercado Nacional and computers stores. i guess you will need some kind of publicity to be known in the Dominican market.

You will find good wholesalers here.. just depends on what you want from your store.

i hope you can achieve your goals, if u have any question i would be glad to help

Robb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am a nay sayer

If you locate in the DR, who will be shipping.? Who is your demographic, ???

There are just too many variables. In the states people like to have good beachwear, but here, for the majority of people, that is just not the case, so I can't imagine anything on the internet doing great guns as a business. The people who have access to the Internet also have access to the best prices for their clothes...

Dominican wholesalers? Like, yeah, they import from US wholesalers!

So you can see that this may not be the wisest decision... Keep thinking, there are other things to sell out there.

HB :(:(:(???????

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Please clarify what you are thinking. Is it that you would continue to develop your market in the US, even though you are living in the DR, or were you thinking that you could attract Dominicans to your website and conduct all your business in the DR?

My thinking is that you would be better off building your market in the US. You wouldn't be the first person living in the DR who is doing business in the US.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Questions

I have similar questions to what has been posted already. Is your intent to market to Dominicans then you are fighting a losing battle.

My sense is you want to be here but market to North Americans. Again the issue is getting product. You would have to import the product and then send it back out. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. However, if you wanted to set up shop and manufacture your own product in the free trade zone and then sell it online..... might be interesting but far more of an undertaking....

siren

Nov 23, 2004
Thanks

I am still in the "I have no clue what I'm doing" stage! Maybe I could consider setting up a web store and selling Dominican products to Americans? (Crafts, art, coffee) Bringing in American goods only to send them back out would not make much sense. I'll keep brainstorming. Maybe in some years, the internet market will be better for Dominicans and then I could find my nitch. Thanks for all the help.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Drop Shipping

siren said:
I am still in the "I have no clue what I'm doing" stage! Maybe I could consider setting up a web store and selling Dominican products to Americans? (Crafts, art, coffee) Bringing in American goods only to send them back out would not make much sense. I'll keep brainstorming. Maybe in some years, the internet market will be better for Dominicans and then I could find my nitch. Thanks for all the help.

Check out "drop shipping". Of course you would not bring American product into the DR and then send it out again. You can drop ship or you can have a family member or friend in USA handle.........stocking and shipping.