Calling Canada from DR

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Does anyone know a relatively reliable and inexpensive method to call Canada from the DR? Are there phone cards available and can they be purchased through the internet? I have found a few in around the $.042-.052 mark. But I am not sure of their reliability or reputation.

Thanks for the advice...

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I don t know it s the cheapness one but with orange cell phone it s the same cost of local call. I always have good connection when I call to canada.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
caro said:
I don t know it s the cheapness one but with orange cell phone it s the same cost of local call. I always have good connection when I call to canada.

Yeah the orange and verizon cards are the same as making a call localy or calling canada/states.

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Pay phones

Thanks for the info but what if you don't have a cell phone and are calling from the hotel or pay phones. Is there a calling card available that can be purchased in the DR? I think the orange cards give about 12min for 100pesos if I remember correctly.

Thanks again...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The other option you have is to go into a Codetel where they have the phones setup for phoning long distance. Many Dominican use the office in Sosua.

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Doesn't sound like a lot of options. Thanks, if you know of anything else it's much appreciated...

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
cell phone

Hi Bonita,

I am no expert but I believe that firstly the answer is yes. However, if you are using your Canadian or American phone plan the costs will be huge. Even if the calls are local to where you are at the time of the call. Roaming charges are big bucks. Long distance charges are on top of that.

Secondly, if you want to use a Belll mobility phone in San Juan, you will need to have in deprogrammed and then reprogrammed in DR. I think there are other threads on DR1 that talk about this in more detail.

Hope this helped... ;)

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Buy one in DR

Since my last post I have been back to the DR. I purchased a cell phone for 1800 pesos that worked just great. Then just purchase the phone cards and pay as you go.

Now when I go back to DR I have a phone number people at home can reach me at.

It's a better way to go...for me anyways.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
MrNiceGuy said:
Since my last post I have been back to the DR. I purchased a cell phone for 1800 pesos that worked just great. Then just purchase the phone cards and pay as you go.

Now when I go back to DR I have a phone number people at home can reach me at.

It's a better way to go...for me anyways.

Yeah, definitely don't use your cell phone in the DR if you don't have to. My friend who came down to visit me for three weeks used his cell just like he was at home..calling locally as well as to Canada freely..and got home just in time to see a nice present from Bell. A $600 phone bill. Ouch. (Although it's completely his fault..we all warned him, he's just an idiot)

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
On the off chance that you have high-speed internet, Skype is a very cheap alternative.....

Ian

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
computers

There are many ways once you bring computers and the internet into the picture. Unfortunately that is not always possible or easy in the Dominican. And at best it's costly.

Unless you can afford a wireless laptop and tap into the hotzones for free. Then all you have to worry about is someone stealing your laptop...:)

If you have anything of value or something different, keep it under lock and key. One way or the other it will walk away from you.

Go cheap, buy a re-conditioned phone, preferably an "ugly" one and you will have guaranteed communication at a low price. Calling cards are about 100pesos for 12 minutes but that doesn't seem to matter whether you are calling Canada or local. It's still 12 minutes for 100 pesos.

Cheers,