Some questions before we go....

gman

Apr 17, 2004
Hi,

We are planning our first trip to DR for february (for a 2 months stay) and have a few questions to ask.
We are 2 adults and 3 children, (7, 3 and 10 months old), our main concern is health, mainly water. We will be staying at a condo complex in sosua right across a waterslides park. It is called "Aparta Picaflores", does anybody know about that place? If so, i would greatly appreciate any info about it!

We were told not to drink the water from the condo but to buy bottled water, could anyone tell me the price of water? Also, how easily can one get sick with water; showering, washing dishes, cooking??? What type of food and water precautions do we need to take, specially for the kids?

That's it for now...
Thank you for your time!

PS. i'm looking for a friend LUCAS MATEO, if you know him please contact me!
Originally from DR, he was living in Montreal, he has 2 daughters, he's an accountant.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Welcome

gman said:
Hi,

We are planning our first trip to DR for february (for a 2 months stay) and have a few questions to ask.
We are 2 adults and 3 children, (7, 3 and 10 months old), our main concern is health, mainly water. We will be staying at a condo complex in sosua right across a waterslides park. It is called "Aparta Picaflores", does anybody know about that place? If so, i would greatly appreciate any info about it!

We were told not to drink the water from the condo but to buy bottled water, could anyone tell me the price of water? Also, how easily can one get sick with water; showering, washing dishes, cooking??? What type of food and water precautions do we need to take, specially for the kids?

That's it for now...
Thank you for your time!

PS. i'm looking for a friend LUCAS MATEO, if you know him please contact me!
Originally from DR, he was living in Montreal, he has 2 daughters, he's an accountant.

I used to own a condo at Puerto Chiquito right down the street from where you will be staying. That is correct regarding the water. Buy a large bottle of filtered water. Water is very inexpensive and can be bought in Playero Supermarcado in Sosua. DO NOT even rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth and do not wash your food with tap water. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT drink the water.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Let me add that current scientific research suggests that a germ-free environment is unhealthy for people. We need to be challenged by a certain amount of pathogens to keep our immune system in working order. Drinking bottled water will suffice.

Mirador

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"can one get sick with water; showering, washing dishes, cooking???"

You will not get sick showering or washing the dishes with tap water. For cooking it will be better if you use bottle water. To wash fruits and veggies you can either buy a bottle of PURISIMA (blue bottle) and add a few drops to the tap water or some drops of bleach will do as well. The ice bought from the stores or colmados is made from purified water so no problem there. If you want something more natural, check back home if you can find Grapefruit seed extract in Natural stores. It can be used to wash the fruits and vegetables and some drops in fruit juice will protect you against the bad bugs. ?The grapefruit seeds extract is a natural antibiotic who kill viruses, bacterias, mushrooms and parasites.?

Enjoy your stay! ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If we are cooking something that requires boiling the water for a period of time, such as boiling potatoes before mashing them, we use regular tap water. If, for example, making oatmeal, we use tap water but put a drop or two of purrissima in the water before heating it.

The Dominicans make extensive use of limes to prepare food for cooking. For many things we use water with a few drops of purrissima in it. For example, to clean lettuce and other fresh vegetables.