looking for a place on a river

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
Hey everyone. I want to move to the DR in a few months, and am looking for property to rent or purchase on any river that can accomodate a 25' sailboat with a 3' draft. All the internet real estate sites only list expensive properties in tourist type areas. Can anyone help?

Happy New Year to all...

Dan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have a lot of loose ends to tie up first.

You should really communicate with Ken who is a sailor and has done all the ins and outs regarding having a boat in these waters.

That said, your best bets are in Santo Domingo, San Pedro, and the area around La Romana. Needless to say, well up river from any of these towns.

Good Luck.

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
La Romana

La Romana proper may be iffy, because it may depends on clearance over the mast. There are two bridges at the mouth of the river that restrict up river access to sailboats. Most of the craft using the facilities here are stink pots and are able to pass below the bridges with sufficient clearance.

Other docking/mooring sites would be at the Casa de Campo marina at the mouth of the Chavon river.

Regards,
PJT

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
PJT said:
La Romana proper may be iffy, because it may depends on clearance over the mast. There are two bridges at the mouth of the river that restrict up river access to sailboats. Most of the craft using the facilities here are stink pots and are able to pass below the bridges with sufficient clearance.

Other docking/mooring sites would be at the Casa de Campo marina at the mouth of the Chavon river.

Regards,
PJT

Thanks for the info.
If the bridge looks to low, than it probably is. I need 35' of clearance...

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
Hillbilly said:
You should really communicate with Ken who is a sailor and has done all the ins and outs regarding having a boat in these waters.

That said, your best bets are in Santo Domingo, San Pedro, and the area around La Romana. Needless to say, well up river from any of these towns.

Good Luck.

HB

Thanks form the info... Loose ends are almost done, 2months is a conservative estimate. I've done exhaustive homework and now need to speak with people there. How do I get in touch with Ken? I've clicked everything on in here and can't find any type of people listings!

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
A few options

Hi,

The last comments about La Romana are correct, but the best option in the south-east region is close by at Rio Cumayasa. There are several properties with docks, and prices to rent or buy are still ( comparatively ) reasonable. BUT........as anyone here will confirm, be extremely cautious about going about the business of buying property here. In Cumayasa the prevailing wind blows from an organisation called CEA, this is the huge sugar industry-related co-operative that seems to own nearly all the land in various areas of the country. In Cumayasa CEA holds sway and many properties offered for sale by 'owner' turn out to have questionable titles and often get re-possessed by CEA, occasionally leaving a lot of egg on a lot of faces ! So buyer be-double-ware.

Also we recently had a disaster in this river, and dozens of vessels were destroyed by freak flash-floods caused by some 12 inches of rain falling in less than an hour after the passing of Hurricane Jeanne last September. We have used this river as a hurricane refuge for several years, and this year it turned around and bit us on the .......well you know which bit. I doubt that this will happen again any time soon....but as Murphy rules all matters maritime, so who can say ?

As regards other areas, Luperon on the north coast is a favourite, and there is a massive development taking place at present which, if it comes to fruition, should offer many possibilities to cruising/settling folk. It is probably the safest port in the DR. We have kept our small cruiser/racer there for 7 years now, and have never had any problems with storms or other natural phenomena. It's not a river though. On the north coast navigable rivers are in short supply, most are shallow and only flow strongly in times of heavy rain, and as such would not be suitable for sailboats. Manzanillo Bay, near Monte Christi, has some possibilities, and this is a good day-sailing area, protected from the prevailing easterlies, and has many little islands ( mostly the Seven Brothers / Seite Hermanos ) to cruise around. Again not a river setting per se.

East coast.....forget it, too rough and no rivers worth talking about. Samana Bay is gourgeous, and has quite some possibilities, not for river living, but bayside. But go check it out first, Samana has a 'flavour' all of it's own, and it definitely isn't to everyone's taste. Los Haitises national park is one of the true jewels of the Caribbean, and should not be missed, although staying there long term isn't really an option.There is a new marina under construction at Punta Cana ( Cap Cana ) which is a very up-market affair, and unless your pockets are several metres deep not really a viable option. Plus there will be relatively few days that one would wish to poke ones nose out of the marina into prime Mona Passage conditions.

South Coast going East to West, Cumayasa as above, San Pedro is very industrial, and not a scenic river at all, also limited cruising from the river. Boca Chica, not a river setting, a few small marinas, very popular, especially with Dominicans, but not really a cruising base either.

Santo Domingo, two rivers, the first is right by the Zona Colonial ( old city ) and has a sort of marina, but no private property in navigable areas. Rio Haina is the official port of Sto Dgo, and is very dirty and garbage strewn. There is a 'yacht club' but it is a motor-boat oriented affair, not recommended for idyllic living at all. Next is Salinas bay, no river, and lots of bugs, some of them bloody great four engine jobbies, carry extra blood supply if you want to stay here !

After this things get even more sparse, Barahona is the next major town, not really much for sailboats, after that Pedernales peninsula, and the area between there and the Haitian border, which is reputed to be both lovely, and the next major area for touristic development....but we've all heard that a few times !

And that's it in a nut shell, sorry that there aren't more delightful possibilities, but this stunning country does have some limitations from the sailing aspect.

Good luck and have fun,

CB

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
CloggieBoots said:
Hi,

The last comments about La Romana are correct, but the best option in the south-east region is close by at Rio Cumayasa. There are several properties with docks, and prices to rent or buy are still ( comparatively ) reasonable. BUT........as anyone here will confirm, be extremely cautious about going about the business of buying property here. In Cumayasa the prevailing wind blows from an organisation called CEA, this is the huge sugar industry-related co-operative that seems to own nearly all the land in various areas of the country. In Cumayasa CEA holds sway and many properties offered for sale by 'owner' turn out to have questionable titles and often get re-possessed by CEA, occasionally leaving a lot of egg on a lot of faces ! So buyer be-double-ware.

Also we recently had a disaster in this river, and dozens of vessels were destroyed by freak flash-floods caused by some 12 inches of rain falling in less than an hour after the passing of Hurricane Jeanne last September. We have used this river as a hurricane refuge for several years, and this year it turned around and bit us on the .......well you know which bit. I doubt that this will happen again any time soon....but as Murphy rules all matters maritime, so who can say ?

As regards other areas, Luperon on the north coast is a favourite, and there is a massive development taking place at present which, if it comes to fruition, should offer many possibilities to cruising/settling folk. It is probably the safest port in the DR. We have kept our small cruiser/racer there for 7 years now, and have never had any problems with storms or other natural phenomena. It's not a river though. On the north coast navigable rivers are in short supply, most are shallow and only flow strongly in times of heavy rain, and as such would not be suitable for sailboats. Manzanillo Bay, near Monte Christi, has some possibilities, and this is a good day-sailing area, protected from the prevailing easterlies, and has many little islands ( mostly the Seven Brothers / Seite Hermanos ) to cruise around. Again not a river setting per se.

East coast.....forget it, too rough and no rivers worth talking about. Samana Bay is gourgeous, and has quite some possibilities, not for river living, but bayside. But go check it out first, Samana has a 'flavour' all of it's own, and it definitely isn't to everyone's taste. Los Haitises national park is one of the true jewels of the Caribbean, and should not be missed, although staying there long term isn't really an option.There is a new marina under construction at Punta Cana ( Cap Cana ) which is a very up-market affair, and unless your pockets are several metres deep not really a viable option. Plus there will be relatively few days that one would wish to poke ones nose out of the marina into prime Mona Passage conditions.

South Coast going East to West, Cumayasa as above, San Pedro is very industrial, and not a scenic river at all, also limited cruising from the river. Boca Chica, not a river setting, a few small marinas, very popular, especially with Dominicans, but not really a cruising base either.

Santo Domingo, two rivers, the first is right by the Zona Colonial ( old city ) and has a sort of marina, but no private property in navigable areas. Rio Haina is the official port of Sto Dgo, and is very dirty and garbage strewn. There is a 'yacht club' but it is a motor-boat oriented affair, not recommended for idyllic living at all. Next is Salinas bay, no river, and lots of bugs, some of them bloody great four engine jobbies, carry extra blood supply if you want to stay here !

After this things get even more sparse, Barahona is the next major town, not really much for sailboats, after that Pedernales peninsula, and the area between there and the Haitian border, which is reputed to be both lovely, and the next major area for touristic development....but we've all heard that a few times !

And that's it in a nut shell, sorry that there aren't more delightful possibilities, but this stunning country does have some limitations from the sailing aspect.

Good luck and have fun,

CB
Thanks, CB. That's the wealth of info I'm seeking. I'm very surprised to hear that Luperon offers safe dockage. I had discounted any places on the shore line due to price and boat safety. I currently have my boat about 15 miles upriver from the Gulf of Mexico for those same reasons. I was assuming that the same distances upriver there might offer me an affordable place to live (with my boat in the backyard) but not to terribly bad to get out to the open water.

Thanks again for your input.

Dan

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hi Dan,
Real Estate is still real inexpensive in Luperon. I have been there twice in the last week. Lots of boaters there and a decent place less than an hour from Puerto Plata and probably a little longer to Santiago. I probably wouldnt mind living there.

I also enjoyed CB's post and also felt it to be one of the most informative I have ever read here.
Escott

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cap Cana

Cap Cana is on the high-end, meaning you must have very deep pockets to pay for marina services. The development is creating canals to enable owners tied up their craft at or near their residence. The downside is Cap Cana has no real natural protection, other than a shallow outer reef, against the rages of the sea and winds. The existing marina does have a straddle crane if one desires to haul out. However, if a large vessel is involved I suggest they do not have the ability to handle any over 35'.

Regards,
PJT

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
skipperdan60 said:
Hey everyone. I want to move to the DR in a few months, and am looking for property to rent or purchase on any river that can accomodate a 25' sailboat with a 3' draft. All the internet real estate sites only list expensive properties in tourist type areas. Can anyone help?

Happy New Year to all...

Dan

What do you classify as expensive?

I live on the Rio Yasica and a couple of properties nearby are available for sale and/or rent.

PM me if you want further info

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
Escott said:
Hi Dan,
Real Estate is still real inexpensive in Luperon. I have been there twice in the last week. Lots of boaters there and a decent place less than an hour from Puerto Plata and probably a little longer to Santiago. I probably wouldnt mind living there.

I also enjoyed CB's post and also felt it to be one of the most informative I have ever read here.
Escott

Thanks for the post. Everything I've read so far indicates that most of the north shore is expensive due to tourism. I was hoping to spend US60K or less for such a piece of property with a handyman special shack on it. Is this realistic?

skipperdan60

Dec 30, 2004
Escott said:
Hi Dan,

Escott

When you say inexpensive, what would you say to be the low end USD amount for property I'm interested in with a fixer-upper house on it?