buying furniture in DR, Caberete

Bella Dama

Dec 11, 2004
Would greatly appreciate any leads to furniture shopping in DR.wood & wrought iron furniture, also gating.

Looking for (WOOD) 4 poster bed, dining room set, sled bed, maybe dressers. I brought sofas, lamps, ceiling fan from US, and have already bought mattereses in DR. ( got good prices) I know I will have to travel to Santiago or along the way. Websites if available are the best, but I'll be down next week (January 5-12th) Moving down in February. Thanks again for all your coments and kindness. Much appreciated. Happy New Year!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Funny you should ask

There are several options of course:
1) Rattan
2) Treated pine
3) Mahogany or other fine woods

There are two or three custom furniture makers in Santiago-I can show you some of their work-and there are several fine rattan places. The craftsmen that meke furniture for the "name" stores are the ones I am referring to. They are not inexpensive, and I suffered "sticker" shock when I saw one receipt for tow mahogany rockers at RD$10,000 each! But, oh what pieces! The Donald would like these...

So send me a PM or an email and we can look at some options.

HB :D:D

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Bella Dama said:
Would greatly appreciate any leads to furniture shopping in DR.wood & wrought iron furniture, also gating.

Looking for (WOOD) 4 poster bed, dining room set, sled bed, maybe dressers. I brought sofas, lamps, ceiling fan from US, and have already bought mattereses in DR. ( got good prices) I know I will have to travel to Santiago or along the way. Websites if available are the best, but I'll be down next week (January 5-12th) Moving down in February. Thanks again for all your coments and kindness. Much appreciated. Happy New Year!

very good wrought iron furniture place in Sosua on left side of road 100 meters past the Texaco station

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
And we offer advertising. Feel free to contact me via PM or email for rates.

Sorry, you have to give a little if you want a lot back.

We have paying advertisers on DR1 and we look after them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
gjsuk said:
very good wrought iron furniture place in Sosua on left side of road 100 meters past the Texaco station
I'm thinking of buying a dining table from them. Have you had a good experience with them? - D

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
There is a furniture maker in Sosua just past the road to Bella Vista. His name is Otto and he makes mostly wicker and rattan. His work looks very good and his prices seem reasonable.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For wrought iron furniture, I can highly recommend Joluzo Industrial in Santiago. Tel 582-0238. You can select from their catalog or show them a picture of what you. Excellent work.

For wicker furniture of all sorts--chairs, sofas, beds, cabinets, etc.--I recommend Artesania Rattan in Santiago. Select from what they have ready or show them a picture of what you want. Tel 971-6440. Unlike most other makers of this sort of furniture, they guarantee their products. If bugs show up a few years from now, they will pick it up, run it through their gas chamber, make necessary repairs, and return it to you. You won't get that sort of guarantee from the small guys.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
yeh we av jus had to get loadsa furnutre for our new house here. Its not all from the same place, various places, some in Puerto Plata and some in Sosua

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
And we offer advertising. Feel free to contact me via PM or email for rates.

Sorry, you have to give a little if you want a lot back.

We have paying advertisers on DR1 and we look after them.

Very good Robert! If I knew that I MUST pay to promote business then why is everyone else recommending businesses on this site without getting a blast from you demanding payment? Case in point, posters including myself make recommendations numerous times regarding businesses and I never seen this message before. Many members name businesses on message boards. Do all of these businesses pay an advertising fee? I was simply answering a poster's question and attempting to assist them. Never in the time I have been on this site have I ever heard about paying for advertising. NOW, you can provide me the rates that you charge on DR1 via PM. Your post was harsh and out of line. This furniture store (although I doubt you would ever visit it) is operated by a Dominican family. Sort of my gift to them to make a living.

You are right, you have to give a little before getting back a lot. Blasting me on a public message board is not the way to do it. You could have sent me a "little" PM and I would have reacted "alot" differently.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Relax, Robert does this all the time and you haven't been singled out. Robert just has a bad bedside manner unlike me! LOL

I have been told that the only time you can push yourself on this board is to take out an ad. Then you have to refer to your ad page here. I think I have this right.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have another source for wicker and rattan furniture in Navarete. 585-5613
The owner speaks excellent English.

I found their prices to be lower than the factory in Santiago and found the pitch in the backs more comfortable along with the foam in the cushions.

Unlike Ken I never had a bug problem in the 4 different sets of furniture I have purchased from them nor have I had any other problem with what they make. Guess that is why I went back 4 different times.

Only thing is that you need to provide your own fabric but even with keeping that in mind it was still less expensive than what I was quoted on in Santiago.

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DominicanScotty said:
Very good Robert! If I knew that I MUST pay to promote business then why is everyone else recommending businesses on this site without getting a blast from you demanding payment? Case in point, posters including myself make recommendations numerous times regarding businesses and I never seen this message before. Many members name businesses on message boards. Do all of these businesses pay an advertising fee? I was simply answering a poster's question and attempting to assist them. Never in the time I have been on this site have I ever heard about paying for advertising. NOW, you can provide me the rates that you charge on DR1 via PM. Your post was harsh and out of line. This furniture store (although I doubt you would ever visit it) is operated by a Dominican family. Sort of my gift to them to make a living.

You are right, you have to give a little before getting back a lot. Blasting me on a public message board is not the way to do it. You could have sent me a "little" PM and I would have reacted "alot" differently.

Your post read... "I have a furniture store..."
Directly promoting YOUR business is not allowed, unless you advertise, that's why your post was edited by me.

If it's not your store, then feel free to post the details.

I hope that clears things up.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
Relax, Robert does this all the time and you haven't been singled out. Robert just has a bad bedside manner unlike me! LOL

I have been told that the only time you can push yourself on this board is to take out an ad. Then you have to refer to your ad page here. I think I have this right.

Correct :)

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Danny W said:
I'm thinking of buying a dining table from them. Have you had a good experience with them? - D

yes absolutely and they are very flexible with their prices, just make sure you haggle hard

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rattan Places and other stuff

I can heartily recommend both of the rattan places. The first living room set we ever bought was from Artesan?a Rattan. I have known the family for forty years and they are wonderful people. Old don Miguel was a fixture in Santiago and was the original owner of the Pez Dorado, too. His sons and daughters (9) were students of mine, and now I find that my grandson is at the same school as his grandchildren....Santiago is a small town, sometimes.

The current living room set was purchased from Tito there in Navarrete. Another case of doing business with close friends. You can't miss at either place. And Tito's wife will get the coverings if you ask her to...

As for iron furniture, I saw a place today in Puerto Plata, Hierro RAFA, on the left side as you head into town from Sos?a. They are well known here in Santiago. However Joluza Industrial is probably more flexible as to models and so forth. Again, a Hillbilly High Five...

HB :D:D:D

Bella Dama

Dec 11, 2004
Thanks for the info..

I was kinda freaked out when I saw that strange reply. I thought I did something wrong! Checking classifieds and drectories, I found no furniture places listed.Thought maybe I'm not working with website correctly! LOL. But thanks again to all that have offered there suggestions. You guys( gals) are the best. I am really looking forward to living down here! Gracias

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Robert said:
Your post read... "I have a furniture store..."
Directly promoting YOUR business is not allowed, unless you advertise, that's why your post was edited by me.

If it's not your store, then feel free to post the details.

I hope that clears things up.

Thank you Robert. The store was funded by me as a "GIFT". It is owned by a military officer and his wife. For further proof you can contact Captain R. Toribio Sosa at rts111@hotmail.com or his cell phone at 907-0350. He will be more then happy to reaffirm my claim that I bought this store as a gift and do not reap profits from it.

In closing I still maintain that a simple PM to me would have corrected this misunderstanding much more tactfully. Being that I was not aware of "paid advertising" I feel that I was not knowingly crossing any lines.

As for people telling me to relax or otherwise I will be the one to make that decision!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Bella Dama said:
I was kinda freaked out when I saw that strange reply. I thought I did something wrong! Checking classifieds and drectories, I found no furniture places listed.Thought maybe I'm not working with website correctly! LOL. But thanks again to all that have offered there suggestions. You guys( gals) are the best. I am really looking forward to living down here! Gracias

We must all be aware of these rules. I never knew about advertising either...LOL I do now though!!! I mentioned that I own a furniture store which I do. Except I bought it as a gift and do not get profits from it nor do I want or need profits from it. It is an excellent store run by a great local Dominican family. It has great handcrafted furniture and paintings by local artists with iron as well. If anyone is interested please PM me. I am not in the mood to be chastised again!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Escott said:

I made my point, if you do not like it then don't read it.