Dominican Dogs

drv1

Jan 1, 2005
I just recently returned from my first visit to the Dominican Republic. What a wonderful country. The land is beautiful and the people friendly. I only brought back one concern. The wild dogs. I know most islands have them, but as an animal lover, I worry. Does anyone know if there are spay/neuter programs developed for this problem? It is of great concern to me because I happened across 2 deceased dogs during a tour of Santo Domingo.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
drv1 said:
I just recently returned from my first visit to the Dominican Republic. What a wonderful country. The land is beautiful and the people friendly. I only brought back one concern. The wild dogs. I know most islands have them, but as an animal lover, I worry. Does anyone know if there are spay/neuter programs developed for this problem? It is of great concern to me because I happened across 2 deceased dogs during a tour of Santo Domingo.

Only 2? You were lucky. It's a big problem in this country and unfortunately, people they only react after problems pop up (ex. rabies...). I have a friend who's a vet and every time someone brings in a stray, he spays/neuters it, vaccinates it then gives it away to whoever he believes'll take good care of it. I wish more vets could be so openhearted and responsible...