The Brugal Net, and other drinking questions...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
What's the purpose of the net on the Brugal bottle? Somebody showed me the proper way to remove it and tie it round the neck, but said there was more to the ritual. Also, at another event I saw somebody pouring their rum back into the bottle after pouring it over ice, is that common? Any other customs come to mind for drinking in the DR?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Naufrago said:
What's the purpose of the net on the Brugal bottle? Somebody showed me the proper way to remove it and tie it round the neck, but said there was more to the ritual. Also, at another event I saw somebody pouring their rum back into the bottle after pouring it over ice, is that common? Any other customs come to mind for drinking in the DR?

The main one that comes to mind is the drinking of rum out of the metal screw-off cap. My understanding is that it is a custom developed by poor Dominicans to save money on glasses/cups as well as to slow down the rate of consumption and make the bottle last longer.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Naufrago said:

The net was made for Dominicans who go to the beach on Sundays and tie the bottle to their wrist with the net, before going for a swim! :nervous:

I wish they could make one for my Presidente!